Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Questions about Adjustments of DiskReaper Intervall for Base Disk Cleanup with MCS

Lutz Schumann

Question

Hi Folks,

I have some Questions concerning the Adjustment of the disk cleanup when using MCS and saw the following article: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX223133

There is written:

Run Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReaper_retryInterval -Value 10:0:0 | Out-Null to change to 10 hours

Run Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReaper_heartbeatinterval -Value 2:0:0 | Out-Null to change to 2 hours

However, the info is conflicting to the linked discussion:

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/384175-mcs-deleting-basedisk-from-vm-storage/#entry1956002

which states:

[…]

Then you can set the retry interval back with the following commands

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReaper_retryInterval -Value 0:6:0 | Out-Null

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReader_heartbeatInterval -Value 0:1:0 | Out-Null

[…]

(… which should correspond to 6 Hours, the default afaik)

What is correct here ?

Are the Keys called DiskReaper_retryInterval  & DiskReaper_retryInterval (or DiskReader_heartbeatInterval) ?

What are the Values (Day, Hour Minute or Hour Minute Second) ?

And how can I obtain the current configured value in order to find out whether someone has adjusted it before ?

I want to optimize a DataStore-Migration by temporarily shorten the interval (1912.0 , vCenter 6.5).

Thanks so far.

3 answers to this question

Yes I was looking into this a while back as I wanted to clean my lab basedisks up quicker. These are my notes and it seems to work fine:

DiskReaper_retryInterval - This defines how often each disk is checked, format is hh:mm:ss.ff, where the seconds (ss) and fractions (ff) are optional. Default is 6 hours.

DiskReaper_heartbeatInterval - This defines how often the check process runs to see if there is any pending work, in the same format, this will be constrained to be at most 1/5 of the retry interval so that there are at least 5 checks performed within the larger time space (it also cannot be 0). Default is 1 hour.

To change the clean up to check every 5 minutes set the following:

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReaper_retryInterval -Value 0:5:0 | Out-Null

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReader_heartbeatInterval -Value 0:1:0 | Out-Null

To change the clean up to check every 30 minutes set the following:

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReaper_retryInterval -Value 0:30:0 | Out-Null

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReader_heartbeatInterval -Value 0:5:0 | Out-Null

To change the clean up to check every hour set the following:

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReaper_retryInterval -Value 1:0:0 | Out-Null

Set-ProvServiceConfigurationData -Name DiskReader_heartbeatInterval -Value 0:12:0 | Out-Null

• Like 2