Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Anyone else have problems with November patches kb5032189?

Chris Carter1709157035

Question

Environment:

ELM/ALA version 2309 (latest at the time)

vSphere 7.0.3.01700

After applying the November 2023 security patch KB5032189 the start menu pinned icons were not showing up. We do use the startlayer.xml and a group policy to pin those apps. Through my testing I found that I can add version my October patched layer but as soon as I installed patches the KB5032189 and finalize the layer, if i publish that OS layer (only) directly to vSphere the Windows Search service is hung on 'Starting'. Has anyone else experience this or have any advice? I do have a ticket open but I thought i would try here too.

Thanks in advance!

This seems to be a Microsoft issue:

Julian Mooren on X: "@etguenni Passiert in einer Kundenumgebung ebenfalls auf Windows 10 22H2. Reproduzierbar ab 2023-12 CU und höher. Es ist außerdem der Search Dienst korrupt. Wir haben seit über zwei Wochen einen Support Case bei Microsoft am laufen ohne vernünftigen Output!" / X (twitter.com)

Translated: Also happens in a customer environment on Windows 10 22H2. Reproducible from 2023-12 CU and higher. The search service is also corrupt. We have been running a support case at Microsoft for over two weeks without any reasonable output!

• Like 1
On 11/21/2023 at 4:36 PM, KFI Service said:

We are seeing black screens after login to Win10 VDAs with November 2023 patch applied... ?

We are experiencing the same issues, black screen on our Win10 22H2 VDA's. 
Current troubleshooting is focused on FSLogix, the logon process seems to hang on the "Search DB will be stored in the Profile Container", at least thats the last entry in the FSLoxig profile log.

On 11/27/2023 at 11:14 AM, Mark Boesveld1709157761 said:

We are experiencing the same issues, black screen on our Win10 22H2 VDA's. 
Current troubleshooting is focused on FSLogix, the logon process seems to hang on the "Search DB will be stored in the Profile Container", at least thats the last entry in the FSLoxig profile log.

Any news on this issue with FSLogix?

This is still an issue with our group but I have narrowed down the issue to the OS layer. After the November update and the layer gets finalized, next boot of the layer (new version packaging layer or new published image) the Search Service is hung on first boot. I am not sure if that is the problem or just another symptom of a larger issue. For our non persistent desktops our work around is to add a maintenance version to the image which allows it to reboot and self heal. After a reboot the search and start menu works as expected.

Hi all. We are affected also. 

Windows 10 22H2, 2203 site. VDA 2203 CU3 and CU4. The issue starts with MS patch october 2023 preview 5031445 and still exists with january 2024 patch. 

I'm troubleshooting for hours now. 

I'm nearly sure it's not FSLogix related, since I've uninstalled FSLogix in a test image and tested with the same effect. Without FSLogix I should be able to login with a local profile if FSLogix would be the cause. I've also able to log on my test user in VMware console directly to a W10 Citrix target. The black screen only happens if I connect by a Citrix HDX ICA connection.

I've denied gpo's - same issue 

Two different images are affected. Both newly set up completely (OS, apps...). 

Interesting fact:

If I update the image manually (usually we use our software deployment solution to set up images) with one of the black screen patches the image boots after the patch installation only once. After that is stucks with a black screen after the vdisk status is displayed from pvs. If I install one of the good patches, e.g. 10th october 2023, the image machine reboots smoothly.

I just tested fslogix 2210 HF3 Preview. No success. I'm sure it's not a FSLogix problem. Yesterday I made a Procmon and CDF Control recording, which I will now analyze.I just tested FSLogix Hotfix 3 Preview. Without success. I'm very sure that's not the reason.

I have no case open at the moment. I'm still troubleshooting to get more and clearer information. I've recorded a procmon and Citrix CDF Trace yesterday which I will now analyze.

We are also still struggling with these issue. Just for information, I will inform that if we disable FSLogix for the user, the problem disappear and login is succesfull. So we think it is related to FSLogix. We have also tried the newest version of FSLogix vith no luck ? Also removed any GPOs from the machine and stil no luck ? If anyone have solved this,  please reply the solution ?

What we see is that the Windows Search service is hanging on status Starting. We also see this behavior on physical machines where no VDA or other citrix components are installed. On machines where FSLogix is not installed we also do not see this behavior. Latest FSLogix version does not seem to resolve the issue unfortunately. We have a case open with MS, but are not making any progress yet. We are still in the process of collecting logs.

After a reboot the search service usually works again. On our vDisk this is now a standard procedure during image finalization, this prevents the issue most of the time. But of course this isn't a solution.