Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenApp VDA 2303 Reconnecting to disconnected session problems

Anthony Dennien

Question

Hi, If anyone is testing the latest VDA 2303 could you please check if reconnecting to a disconnected session is working OK for you?
I am seeing a problem on our test servers where the session will reconnect but gets stuck/frozen on the Windows "Welcome" spinning circle and does not proceed any further.

The session shows "Active" from both the DAAS Monitor Console as well as in Task Manager Users tab on the server, however on the client end it is stuck on the Welcome screen.

The only change has been VDA 2212 -> VDA 2303 and WEM Agent 2212 -> WEM Agent 2303 in the MCS master image.

Our FAS Server has also been upgraded from 2212 to 2303

Our Production servers are still running with VDA 2212 and they are working fine with session reconnects.

So it seems like a problem with VDA 2303?

Windows Server 2016 Standard

Version 1607

OS Build 14393.5717

1 hour ago, Cory Allen1709157910 said:

Just an update on our case with Citrix today.  I had a great conversation with support and they explained the change in how the process CtxGfx.exe went from running as System in versions 2212 and earlier to running as the user in 2303.

With this change, at least on our 2016 servers, it appears that it doesn't load properly appearing to be permissions related even though the permissions on the folder in question are correct. 

That being said, they have a reg value that you can set to revert the behavior to pre-2303 functionality.  Our testing with this key in place appears to be successful.

So, if you want to try the workaround then please add this to the registry on the affected VDA.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\citrix\Graphics]
"PermitRunAsLocalSystem"=dword:00000001

No need to reboot.  Just start a new session and you will see in the task manager that the CtxGfx.exe process should be running as SYSTEM when the user logs in.

Citrix Support has collected another trace to analyze so I will update with the findings once I hear back.  I'm just glad I was given a valid explanation as to why it's failing and a proper workaround.  Good luck with your testing if you choose to try this.

Nice talking to you earlier, Cory.

One note of caution: whilst the "PermitRunAsLocalSystem" registry value solves your particular issue, this is not the same as the reconnect issue others are experiencing in this thread. As such, the registry value will not fix the reconnect issue. However, the root cause is now understood and we are working to produce a private fix.

So far, the particular issue you're experiencing on Server 2016 seems unique (according to the traces gathered so far -thanks) and as yet unexplained. I have asked the escalation team to reach out to you for more information regarding your environmental settings. We will continue to investigate and update once we have established the root cause.

• Like 1

Hi,

maybe still the same issue since a long time. 

Should be fixed, see https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX338807/users-may-fail-to-reconnect-or-start-a-new-session-on-virtual-apps-and-shared-desktop

I use vda 2203 CU2 and had to set the following reg keys:

HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Citrix\Ica\GroupPolicy

DWORD EnforceUserPolicyEvaluationSuccess

only for os 2019 and later:

HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Citrix\Reconnect

DWORD FastReconnect

Restart vda after.

On 3/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, Anthony Dennien said:

Hi, If anyone is testing the latest VDA 2303 could you please check if reconnecting to a disconnected session is working OK for you?
I am seeing a problem on our test servers where the session will reconnect but gets stuck/frozen on the Windows "Welcome" spinning circle and does not proceed any further.

The session shows "Active" from both the DAAS Monitor Console as well as in Task Manager Users tab on the server, however on the client end it is stuck on the Welcome screen.

The only change has been VDA 2212 -> VDA 2303 and WEM Agent 2212 -> WEM Agent 2303 in the MCS master image.

Our FAS Server has also been upgraded from 2212 to 2303

Our Production servers are still running with VDA 2212 and they are working fine with session reconnects.

So it seems like a problem with VDA 2303?

Windows Server 2016 Standard

Version 1607

OS Build 14393.5717

We have a similar situation with the same upgrade path as you mentioned accept on a published Desktop we get stuck at "Please wait for the Local Session Manager". 

If we disconnect from the session and reconnect we see the same screen as you mention with the "Welcome". 

Server 2019 VDA's work as expected.

We opened a case with Citrix and they are reviewing now.  We will be scheduling a call to discuss further, hopefully early next week.

Please let us know if you have found anything out in the meantime.

I have had some success with the following article and thought I had it fixed

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX477137/disconnected-sessions-not-reconnecting-in-server-vda-2203-and-higher

I applied the registry key using WEM to my users.

Registry Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Registry Path: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Value Name: DisableLockWorkstation

Value Type: REG_DWORD

Disabled Value: 0

If I now disconnect and reconnect the session straight away, the session reconnects OK.

However, strangely it seems it only works if the time between the disconnect and the reconnect is very short time.

The problem returns (stuck on the "Welcome" screen when reconnecting) if the session has been disconnected for an extended period of time ( like more than 60 minutes) 

We experience the same issue with Citrix VDA 2303 on Windows Server 2022. Also with us the session stops at "Welcome" on the login screen and does not reconnect. The session must be terminated manually and cannot be restored.

We have not yet encountered the error with the previous version 2212. We are currently considering switching back to 2212 and hope that Citrix will quickly find a workaround.

Thanks to the community for keeping us informed about the status of your tickets!

Same issue for us with  2303.0.0.67 VDA on server 2016 and 2022.

We are testing installing an older VDA with fastreconnect set to 0. 

Try with 2209 VDA and apply the registry to disable FastReconnect (As mentioned by someone further back in the comments). This seems to work for us. We noticed rolling back wasn't enough, and had to also apply disable fastreconnect.

Case: 81793129

Same issue here after rolling it out on Server 2019 latest updates. The prior regkeys are there for the issues with 2203 and on but they are not helping with 2303. Users just see a "Welcome" screen with nothing loading after. This is triggered easily but disconnecting and reconnecting. 

Hi All,

for me worked a combination of:

DWORD FastReconnect

Name: DisableGPCalculation 
Type: REG_DWORD 
Data: 1 

Other very important point. I upgrade 2212 to 2303. In another VDA which installed 2303 for the first time no issues related.

19 hours ago, Fernando Farabote said:

Hi All,

for me worked a combination of:

DWORD FastReconnect

Name: DisableGPCalculation 
Type: REG_DWORD 
Data: 1 

Other very important point. I upgrade 2212 to 2303. In another VDA which installed 2303 for the first time no issues related.

Just correcting: after some more tests, it works sometimes and sometimes not. For sure there still exists some issue.

Hi,

we have also the same issue, after upgrade VDA to Version 2303.

This keys are existing in our environment:

DWORD EnforceUserPolicyEvaluationSuccess

DWORD FastReconnect

Citrix support said, that we add this key as well:

DWORD DisableGPCalculation

We will check.

Case #81827498

Been seeing issues with a few of our customers. Rolled back to the 2212 release and problems have been disappeared.

Luckily we don't have any need for the new functionality provided in the 2303 release currently so will wait till Citrix properly resolve the issues. 

Hi All,

We're having issues with 2303 and the welcome screen.    We have a mixed environment with number of different VDA upgraded versions but I need to find a good one to rollout across the board.  What's the recommendation here?

Oh...and the registry keys didn't work for us.

Just an update on our case with Citrix today.  I had a great conversation with support and they explained the change in how the process CtxGfx.exe went from running as System in versions 2212 and earlier to running as the user in 2303.

With this change, at least on our 2016 servers, it appears that it doesn't load properly appearing to be permissions related even though the permissions on the folder in question are correct. 

That being said, they have a reg value that you can set to revert the behavior to pre-2303 functionality.  Our testing with this key in place appears to be successful.

So, if you want to try the workaround then please add this to the registry on the affected VDA.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\citrix\Graphics]
"PermitRunAsLocalSystem"=dword:00000001

No need to reboot.  Just start a new session and you will see in the task manager that the CtxGfx.exe process should be running as SYSTEM when the user logs in.

Citrix Support has collected another trace to analyze so I will update with the findings once I hear back.  I'm just glad I was given a valid explanation as to why it's failing and a proper workaround.  Good luck with your testing if you choose to try this.

15 hours ago, Muhammad Dawood said:

Nice talking to you earlier, Cory.

One note of caution: whilst the "PermitRunAsLocalSystem" registry value solves your particular issue, this is not the same as the reconnect issue others are experiencing in this thread. As such, the registry value will not fix the reconnect issue. However, the root cause is now understood and we are working to produce a private fix.

So far, the particular issue you're experiencing on Server 2016 seems unique (according to the traces gathered so far -thanks) and as yet unexplained. I have asked the escalation team to reach out to you for more information regarding your environmental settings. We will continue to investigate and update once we have established the root cause.

Good morning Muhammad & Cory,

@Muhammad DawoodThanks for your reply to this thread, I read through your post several times and it sounds like Citrix understands the issue we are having getting stuck at the welcome screen which is different from Cory's issue. (although it sounds exactly the same).    What is the fix for our issue?  If a fix is not available what VDA version can I rollback to get past this problem?  Please help.

Thank you @Muhammad Dawood.  I misspoke about the issue in this discussion being fixed by the reg key you provided for our issue which seemed very similar.  

I would suggest that the users experiencing this issue follow this article below for updates:

CVAD 2303 Users stuck on welcome screen when reconnecting to a disconnected session (citrix.com)

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX547782/cvad-2303-users-stuck-on-welcome-screen-when-reconnecting-to-a-disconnected-session