Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Workspace App: White mouse pointer when connecting from Win 11 to Win 10

Holger Barczaitis

Question

The other day I switched to Windows 11, the virtual desktop which I use in my client's network is Windows 10. On that virtual desktop, the mouse pointer turns white on most white pages, and so does the Excel pointer so it is more or less invisible. I tried different options on both my and the remote system, but no avail.

Any advice?

23 answers to this question

Guys i am also facing the exact same issue. It is infuriating to have to work like this. I Cant even use dark mode because in excel all color coded info on cells is only shown as black on dark mode. If you guys have any real workarounds please share. For me using citrix in windows mode solves the issue but you cant alt tab out of apps fast enough,

• Like 1

Hello, we have the same problem with several Hp probook/Elitebook laptops with Windows 11\AMD and Citrix. 

Every new Windows update causes the problem again. Since the last update it is not possible to downgrade the graphic drivers to an working version. 

This is really annoying because we need te replace these laptops if it won't be solved soon. 

• Like 1
On 11/28/2022 at 9:01 AM, Beat Caminada said:

Disabling MPO (Multiplane Overlay) on the client solved this issue for the moment until a fix is available from AMD, MS  or Citrix

Set following registry value and reboot:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

This worked for me - Lenovo T16 (AMD), Win11, Workspace 2210, VDA is LTSR 1912 CU3. Thanks!

• Like 1

In our case, the AMD Radeon Graphics Driver is causing the issue. Windows Updates has updated the driver to Version 30.0.14052.5, which is causing the issue. We also tested the newer drivers 30.0.15021.1105 and 31.0.12019.9007, but these drivers are having the same issue.

Only solution at the moment for us is a rollback to AMD Radeon Graphics Driver in Version 30.0.13040.4003. You can find the driver from the Lenovo support Site or from Windows Updates (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=30.0.13040.4003)

This problem keeps coming back on my Win11 AMD EliteBook. 

Fiddling with the drivers sometimes fixes it, usually any Windows update makes the cursor invisible again in my Citrix session.

As of the latest Win11 update I am utterly unable to fix it, downgrading graphics drivers etc. have no effect anymore. Wasted half a day now.

Enabling trails or not using fullscreen mode can be used as a workaround, but both have downsides that I'd much rather not deal with.

Getting really annoyed! Productivity is suffering.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:24 PM, Holger Barczaitis said:

The other day I switched to Windows 11, the virtual desktop which I use in my client's network is Windows 10. On that virtual desktop, the mouse pointer turns white on most white pages, and so does the Excel pointer so it is more or less invisible. I tried different options on both my and the remote system, but no avail.

Any advice?

I have the same issue here too. With Lenovo USFF Desktop and a Yoga Laptop - AMD Chipset. When i downgrade the driver it works, but windows install itself the newer driver from windows updates. the issue returns. Only in Full-Screen mode. 

On 10/31/2022 at 10:11 AM, Marcel Tuinstra1709163648 said:

Hello, we have the same problem with several Hp probook/Elitebook laptops with Windows 11\AMD and Citrix. 

Every new Windows update causes the problem again. Since the last update it is not possible to downgrade the graphic drivers to an working version. 

This is really annoying because we need te replace these laptops if it won't be solved soon. 

We have bought 10 laptops with Intel to avoid problems for our users. Until now we have 6 new laptops with AMD, that we cannot use, It is becoming a big problem for us, I mean leaving new laptops on the shelf is a waste of time and money. 

I am still having this issue with the latest drivers

What I noticed today was that there is a workaround, but Citrix does not save the marked checkbox in attched picture. 

When I login to Citrix and check this box, my cursor turns black. When I logoff en on again, the box is unchecked. 

It is a very shortterm workaround, but it works.

For the testers: when you switch from session between  windows 10 and 11 machines, the box is unchecked while you switch (without logging off). You see the box unchecking when login in to the other session.

The question is: why is Citrix not saving this setting? All other settings I change in Citrix are saved.

Schermafbeelding 2022-11-28 134950.jpg

Dear,

We have the same problem : Probook 455 G8 with Windows11.

My son found out as a workaround to choose with the navigator for window instead of full screen and than adjust the window to max sizes. Than the mouse returns visable again. That works fine so I published this workaround on our intranet for our employees. 

I wonder why this is already such a long time an issue that is not yet solved by Citrix/AMD/Microsoft.  

4 hours ago, Wilrie Multem1709163710 said:

Dear,

We have the same problem : Probook 455 G8 with Windows11.

My son found out as a workaround to choose with the navigator for window instead of full screen and than adjust the window to max sizes. Than the mouse returns visable again. That works fine so I published this workaround on our intranet for our employees. 

I wonder why this is already such a long time an issue that is not yet solved by Citrix/AMD/Microsoft.  

There are reasons why it takes so long, particularly when you're speaking of a 3rd party driver being distributed by Microsoft via Windows Updates that is affecting yet another party's software. Hypothetically speaking I might have worked for one of the companies above and gone through basically the same scenario with a NIC driver and VMQ problems in a particular hypervisor -  it took about 8 months to get the fix in WU, although quicker as a private fix from MS.

I'm not absolving anyone here -  just saying there is a process for each company, then some finger pointing, then some regression testing, not a particular smooth handoff as it progresses from one company to another, then....well, you get the picture.

I had the same issue on my Win 11 system with AMD Ryzen 7 5700G CPU with built-in Radeon Graphics. The issue happened after Windows Update installed the AMD driver version 31.0.12027.7000. Downgrade to an older driver fixed the issue for me. But it was necessary to make sure Windows Update is not installing this problematic driver again. I have done this with the "Show and Hide Updates" functionality of the "Windows Update Troubleshooter Tool"
Hide-Windows-Update-AMD-Driver.thumb.png.db410323cedcee4c8446eaca14128549.png

This problematic windows update can also be deactivated using the following PowerShell command:

Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate -Confirm:$false

Hide-WindowsUpdate -Title "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 31.0.12027.7000" -Confirm:$false

Edited by andreas_mariotti
Added the Powershell command