Updated Privacy Statement

Can't upload large file size over 100Mb through WAF

Sochorn Chan

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi Sochron,

Did you enable streaming?

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/current-release/application-firewall/appendixes/streaming-support-for-request-processing.html

Citrix Web App Firewall supports a maximum post size of 20 MB without streaming. For better resource utilization, Citrix recommends you to enable streaming only for payloads greater than 20 MB. Also, the back-end server must accept the chunked requests if streaming is enabled.

On 9/1/2021 at 3:39 PM, Edwin Houben1709162231 said:

Hi Edwin,

I couldn't login FTP portal after enabled streaming and our FTP serve-U is already enables mode stream. Do you have any other suggestion to check? 

I'm sharing my findings in case someone else finds the same issue:

Support engineer from Citrix was not able to explain why or where this restriction comes from, and of course he didn't provide a way to adjust the limit. Instead, he suggested a workaround consisting in a Bypass WAF policy to avoid WAF  inspecting http requests that exceed certain body size, in this case is 20 MB. The policy is:

(HTTP.REQ.FULL_HEADER + HTTP.REQ.BODY(20480000)).LENGTH>= (HTTP.REQ.FULL_HEADER.LENGTH + 20480000)

And the action is the built-in:  APPFW_BYPASS

It works as intended, and now large files can be uploaded. A side benefit is that memory and cpu consumption doesn't increase with those large uploads as it happened before. However I'm a bit concern about this bypass policy could open a risk for potencial malicious traffic to get in...

Another related finding: I saw the 110 MB limit when using v13.0. I recently upgraded to v13.1 and found that now the limit is 1.1 GB.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:58 PM, Felipe Ruiz1709162764 said:

I'm sharing my findings in case someone else finds the same issue:

Support engineer from Citrix was not able to explain why or where this restriction comes from, and of course he didn't provide a way to adjust the limit. Instead, he suggested a workaround consisting in a Bypass WAF policy to avoid WAF  inspecting http requests that exceed certain body size, in this case is 20 MB. The policy is:

(HTTP.REQ.FULL_HEADER + HTTP.REQ.BODY(20480000)).LENGTH>= (HTTP.REQ.FULL_HEADER.LENGTH + 20480000)

And the action is the built-in:  APPFW_BYPASS

It works as intended, and now large files can be uploaded. A side benefit is that memory and cpu consumption doesn't increase with those large uploads as it happened before. However I'm a bit concern about this bypass policy could open a risk for potencial malicious traffic to get in...

Another related finding: I saw the 110 MB limit when using v13.0. I recently upgraded to v13.1 and found that now the limit is 1.1 GB.

Hi Guido

In v13.1, Is the limit of 1.1GB after enabling Bypass policy or without bypass policy?