Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Teams Presence addin not working in Oulook

Question

Hi, we have a server 2016 image which we are creating a fresh copy of, the current one is setup with Office 2016 (msi install) and and the outlook addin for Teams works fine.

But on the new image with Office 2016 (same version) and Teams (same version) it is not showing the presence of staff next to their picture.

The Teams Outlook addin is loaded though, and if you go to the calendar you can create a new Teams Calendar invite and it will add a Teams link.

If we go to Outlook:

- Options -> People

The check box for 'Display Online status next to name' is greyed out (on working machines it is not)

We've checked that in Teams the settings to register Teams as the chat app is ticked

In the registry it correctly has

HKCU\Software\IM Providers\DefaultIMApp set to Teams

and under the HKCU\Software\IM Providers\Teams key the UppAndRunning value does recognise when Teams is opened and closed.

We've also checked that HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\IM Providers has the Teams data.

We have followed this with no success:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/user-interface/presence-icons-do-not-show-in-outlook Teams is set as the default IM Provider here HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers

Has anyone else had this or have any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice

25 answers to this question

We have Zoom installed and are using Teams for presence in Outlook.  We found that our working machines had several HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zOutlookPresence* keys while the non-working machines did not.  We resolved it by running "C:\Program Files\Zoom\bin\ZoomOutlookIMPlugin.exe" /RegServer.  This set up the HKCR keys and Outlook started working again.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

When I looked into the registry and compared, I think a lot of the entries were over written by the Zoom Outlook plugin.

I haven’t tried uninstalling the Zoom plug-in and having another go as I got round it 

do you have the Zoom Outlook plugin installed?

I do not, know. One of the guys on my team actually told me that MS said there was a bug where if you did not have Skype installed, Outlook presence did not work in Teams mode on the back end. So I redid my O365 layer and included Skype. Even though it's not running at all, presence now works in Outlook. So, another wondering solution thanks to MS.

• Like 1
On 8/2/2021 at 11:34 AM, Nick Panaccio said:

I do not, know. One of the guys on my team actually told me that MS said there was a bug where if you did not have Skype installed, Outlook presence did not work in Teams mode on the back end. So I redid my O365 layer and included Skype. Even though it's not running at all, presence now works in Outlook. So, another wondering solution thanks to MS.

What a joke, MS is parody doing the same to fix presence, thanks

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

we found a solution to this problem which is working fine in our environment:

Follow the guideline from this Microsoft article (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/teams-im-presence/issues-with-presence-in-outlook?tabs=32), but for the machine -wide installer make sure to change the following for the registry entries required in HKCU:

64-bit Office:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin\Uc.tlb instead of C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin\Uc.tlb

32-bit Office:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin\Uc.tlb instead of C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin\Uc.win32.tlb

We used a GPO to add the mentioned registry keys in HKCU under 6. for the Office version installed (in our case x86)´and the presence status started working immediately. Removing these registry entries again resulted in a non-working scenario.

Give it a try and let us know if it is working for you as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

ok thanks

They advised taking off ALLUSERS=1 which actually worked!

But then after a reboot it stopped working.

Taking a copy of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT before rebooting and then importing it after rebooting sorted it.

I'm not sure what this suggests though

To be honest with you in all tests I've done it never happened. Can you make sure to follow the deployment instructions for MSI here? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-for-vdi

ALLUSERS=1 should not be used in VDI, only ALLUSER=1

See the docs above. 

On 5/12/2021 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Szomboti said:

To be honest with you in all tests I've done it never happened. Can you make sure to follow the deployment instructions for MSI here? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-for-vdi

ALLUSERS=1 should not be used in VDI, only ALLUSER=1

See the docs above. 

Hello

I'm researching this issue on Windows 10 VDI - presence not working in Outlook.

For clarity, the Citrix written article for Teams optimisation states that you *can* ALLUSERS=1 in VDI. 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/opt-ms-teams.html ;

You can use the ALLUSERS=1 parameter in non-VDI and VDI environments.

Daniel, I see you are a Citrix employee, it would be good to get confirmation of what is best practice and if this does impact presence in Outlook.

Thanks

Russell

On 5/10/2021 at 6:54 AM, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

I dont know if anyone can advise just on this point and what it is suggesting, but what I have found is:

If I copy all of the registry items from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT on a working machine and import it to a non working machine.

Presence on the non working machine works again.

Any chance you've found a better resolution? I'm dealing with the same issue now, and have come up short. Replacing HKCR with a working device hasn't worked for me.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:33 AM, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

When I looked into the registry and compared, I think a lot of the entries were over written by the Zoom Outlook plugin.

I haven’t tried uninstalling the Zoom plug-in and having another go as I got round it 

do you have the Zoom Outlook plugin installed?

I am running into a similar issue, but it seems to happen with Zoom VDI clients that are NEWER than 5.5.6 only.

I found this issue when I had SFB, Teams (machine wide), and Zoom VDI (5.5.8) installed.  I reverted back to 5.5.6 and everything's peachy.

I removed SFB and tried to use a June release Teams (machine wide) installer with the latest Zoom VDI (5.7.3).  Then I made Teams as the default IM provider.  Still no dice.

I am creating another image with just Teams.  This will confirm if Outlook 2016 can even use Teams at all for presence.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:39 PM, Edward Ma said:

I am running into a similar issue, but it seems to happen with Zoom VDI clients that are NEWER than 5.5.6 only.

I found this issue when I had SFB, Teams (machine wide), and Zoom VDI (5.5.8) installed.  I reverted back to 5.5.6 and everything's peachy.

I removed SFB and tried to use a June release Teams (machine wide) installer with the latest Zoom VDI (5.7.3).  Then I made Teams as the default IM provider.  Still no dice.

I am creating another image with just Teams.  This will confirm if Outlook 2016 can even use Teams at all for presence.

Update:  With Sept patches in place, I setup the following:

Sept 2021 OS and Office patches (with SFB installed)

Zoom 5.7.6

Teams machine-wide installer (June 2021) with it registered as the default chat app

SFB on startup - disabled (and not launching).

Presence in Outlook 2016 - NO

Zoom 5.5.6

Teams machine-wide installer (June 2021) with it registered as the default chat app

Presence in Outlook 2016 - YES (with Teams).

The odd thing is that replicating the setup with 5.7.6 in a windows 2016 server with no Citrix on (RDP), I am able to see presence properly.  Not sure if the App Layering is adding something that is overwriting certain registries.

I opened tickets with Microsoft, Zoom and Citrix.  Not sure who will be able to provide the solution.

On 9/21/2021 at 9:13 AM, Edward Ma said:

Update:  With Sept patches in place, I setup the following:

Zoom 5.7.6

Presence in Outlook 2016 - NO

Zoom 5.5.6

Presence in Outlook 2016 - YES (with Teams).

The odd thing is that replicating the setup with 5.7.6 in a windows 2016 server with no Citrix on (RDP), I am able to see presence properly.  Not sure if the App Layering is adding something that is overwriting certain registries.

I opened tickets with Microsoft, Zoom and Citrix.  Not sure who will be able to provide the solution.

After a call with Zoom (Microsoft weren't too helpful, and Citrix did answer the question eventually but later than Zoom), they confirmed that the 5.7.6 VDI client fixed the issue for the Teams presence.  Actually the tech re-registered one of Zoom's Outlook integration dll file, and Teams presence worked right after that. 

I had to start a new layer for 5.7.6 instead of updating the client on my current Zoom layer with the old 5.5.6.

After successfully deploying an image with 5.7.6, I went on to update it 5.8.0 with my normal way, and Teams presence is still working.

If you are running into a similar issue, give that a try.  I am unsure if 5.8.0 as a fresh layer will address the issue like 5.7.6 did, though.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:37 AM, Daniel Dunn1709158952 said:

Hi, we have a server 2016 image which we are creating a fresh copy of, the current one is setup with Office 2016 (msi install) and and the outlook addin for Teams works fine.

But on the new image with Office 2016 (same version) and Teams (same version) it is not showing the presence of staff next to their picture.

The Teams Outlook addin is loaded though, and if you go to the calendar you can create a new Teams Calendar invite and it will add a Teams link.

If we go to Outlook:

- Options -> People

The check box for 'Display Online status next to name' is greyed out (on working machines it is not)

We've checked that in Teams the settings to register Teams as the chat app is ticked

In the registry it correctly has

HKCU\Software\IM Providers\DefaultIMApp set to Teams

and under the HKCU\Software\IM Providers\Teams key the UppAndRunning value does recognise when Teams is opened and closed.

We've also checked that HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\IM Providers has the Teams data.

We have followed this with no success:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/user-interface/presence-icons-do-not-show-in-outlook Teams is set as the default IM Provider here HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers

Has anyone else had this or have any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?   I'm finding it's still very much a problem with the latest version of Teams MSI.  

FYI I was running into this issue as well. I did a clean master image installation with O365 + Teams and presence was not working. Turns out I had Skype for Business disabled in my O365 config XML file. Outlook is still using some DLL's from SfB to show presence information. It's a known issue with Microsoft.

Anyone got a more recent update on this?   We have some users complaining of the same thing; we moved to Teams Only mode at least a year or so ago and Skype was removed from the master images not long after that.  I am really stuggling to get Skype to install, I do wonder if it's even available any more, regardless of the O365 XML setup file settings.

In my testing it does seem that the only thing that fixes it is using per-user Teams.   If I log into an MCS machine with machine-wide Teams, then Presence doesn't work.  If I remove  the machine-wide Teams (supplying admin credentials), and then install per-user Teams, then Presence icons work immediately even within the same session.  Of course, as soon as I log out and back in, they stop working again as the master image has machine-wide Teams in it which overrides the per-user installation trapped in the user profile.

12 hours ago, IHK Muenchen Admin said:

I have good news on this subject. We have contaced Microsoft Support and after several weeks we got a fix in the form of a regtlib.exe and a manual registration of uc.tlb. 

We are still testing but I think the problem is fixed.

Do you mind sharing the full details of the fix. Thanks 

On 2/28/2023 at 9:18 AM, IHK Muenchen Admin said:

I have good news on this subject. We have contaced Microsoft Support and after several weeks we got a fix in the form of a regtlib.exe and a manual registration of uc.tlb. 

Thank You So Much!

With this single hint I have finally managed to get presence add-in working in our environment using machine-wide installer.

Just few simple steps:

Because of regtlib.exe is not available in WIN10, just google for it. I have downloaded regtlib.exe 7.10.3052.4.

From cmd or powershell with admin right execute

regtlib.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin\Uc.tlb"

regtlib.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin\Uc.win32.tlb"

That's all. Presence add-in is working as expected.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:18 AM, IHK Muenchen Admin said:

Other than opening a ticket with MS, is there a way to get regtlib.exe without having my security team coming asking questions? Anywhere I see it doesn't look secure at all.

17 hours ago, Eamonn Tully1709163451 said:

Other than opening a ticket with MS, is there a way to get regtlib.exe without having my security team coming asking questions? Anywhere I see it doesn't look secure at all.

Hi Eamonn ?

I found this .exe on old 2008 server but it did not help (registered the .dll but presence still not working). If you solve the issue please let me know also.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:54 AM, Andrei Itu1709156073 said:

Hi Eamonn ?

I found this .exe on old 2008 server but it did not help (registered the .dll but presence still not working). If you solve the issue please let me know also.

I too am experiencing this issue.

Tried all the above albeit I had to use the reglibv12.exe rather than reglibv.exe as I did not have a copy of it.

Any updates welcome.