Welcome to our new Citrix community!

ESXi 7 updates break ADC vpx

So I deployed all the latest ESXi 7 updates to my demo lab and for some reason my ADC VPX doesn't seem to work anymore.

If I login to the ADC console and attempt to ping out I get ping: sendto: Network is down

I deployed a new ADC, set it up, same issue.

Anyone else seen this with the new updates?

This may not be the same issue, but my experience is that if the ESXi host is AMD based (i.e. HPE Proliant DL325 or DL385), processes running within NSVPX (i.e. the SSH shell) crash unless you manually roll the VM version back to machine hardware version 7 by editing the .vmx, then using "vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms" to get the vmid of the NXVPX followed by "vim-cmd vmsvc/reload vmid".

dcc

On 3/9/2021 at 4:32 PM, Robert McArthur said:

Seeing the same issue on update 1C with a VMXNET3 adapter with a new 13.0 76.29 VPX.  Changed it back to an E1000 and it works fine. 

console shows "vmx0: device enable command failed"

Anyone seeing the same thing?

Hi

We're seeing exactly the same thing.

Running a clean install of vSphere 7 U2 (obviously with vCenter 7 U2) on Dell R7525 (AMD) servers with new install of VPX 13.0.76.29. When changing to VMXNET3, we run into the same error and the IP address although allocated, doesn't respond and we cannot connect to it. When using the default E1000 NIC, we're able to connect to the NSIP and configure the VPX.

We also tried playing with the VM versions, from 7.0 to 7.0U1 and 7.0U2 and these didn't change anything for us, so we've left them at default for the time being. Take a snapshot before upgrading the VM version, and you can revert back again if you want to try a different version.

One thing to note, is that the only way we can reboot / shutdown / power cycle the current VPX, is to power off or reset it. It doesn't seem to respond to VMTools or within the shell or GUI. It issues the command, (we can see the command through the VMware Console) but the VPX doesn't react to the command.

I do appreciate that this isn't a supported VMware platform yet, especially 7.0 U2 as it was only very recently released, and that the E1000 isn't ideal, but hopefully this will help others to get going. We're only using it for load balancing, so can get away with a less performant NIC.

Regards

For those interested, a new update of 13.0 Build 76.31 was released a day or so ago ... I'll save you the trouble of upgrading however ... We deployed a new install rather than upgrade. Although there's a good amount of updates, the VMXNET3 adapter still doesn't work at all, and neither does VMTools, meaning we're still stuck with the E1000 and the only way to gracefully reboot or shutdown the VPX is to simply "Reset it" to reboot it, or "Power Off" through vCenter.

17 hours ago, Ben Jones1709162621 said:

For those interested, a new update of 13.0 Build 76.31 was released a day or so ago ... I'll save you the trouble of upgrading however ... We deployed a new install rather than upgrade. Although there's a good amount of updates, the VMXNET3 adapter still doesn't work at all, and neither does VMTools, meaning we're still stuck with the E1000 and the only way to gracefully reboot or shutdown the VPX is to simply "Reset it" to reboot it, or "Power Off" through vCenter.

Thanks for letting us know.

We actually don't have the vmware tools power management issue you're experiencing.  I'm able to issue a shutdown or reboot through the vsphere client which then occur normally.  I'm also able to initiate reboots from the CLI of the netscaler.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 10:31 AM, Robert McArthur said:

Our case has been updated by Citrix who have confirmed this is a known issue with ADC and ESXi 7.0 update 1c (and presumably newer).  The issue is expected to be fixed in version 13.0 79+ which should be released around the 30th March. 

Can confirm that 13.0 76.31 is not working with ESXi 7.0 update 1d (7.0.1, 17551050) either. Has anyone seen crashes or problems running E1000? Is it supported?
Waiting for new firmware...

1 hour ago, Owe Imerslund-Kvisler1709162065 said:

Can confirm that 13.0 76.31 is not working with ESXi 7.0 update 1d (7.0.1, 17551050) either. Has anyone seen crashes or problems running E1000? Is it supported?
Waiting for new firmware...

We're in the middle of a new deployment of 8 x VPX.  We're using E1000 to enable us to carry on testing and have had no issues so far.  Obviously, we'd like to have VMXNET adapters before going in to production though.

1 hour ago, Owe Imerslund-Kvisler1709162065 said:

New firmware released, 13.0 79.64. Can't faind anything in the release notes about vmware compatibility though. Has anyone tried it?

I upgraded a minute ago and it is working on VMware ESXi 7.0.2 Build 17630552 and vmxnet3.

Best Regards,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...