Updated Privacy Statement

Citrix VDA machines gets unregistered randomly

mnovaci566

Question

We implemented CVAD LTSR 1912 which consist 2 DDCs, 2 Storefront servers and VDA virtual MCS machines.

Couple of days ago, machines started to go to Unregistered state, and after that they become registered... Randomly.

I check Citrix services on DDCs and on VDAs, and they are not stopped. Also, machines can ping eachother without problems...

Does anybody have any points where to start troubleshooting...

Thank you in advance. 

image.png

12 answers to this question

At the end, we have open a case at Citrix.

Along with Citrix engineer we came to conclusion that by disabling DRS functionality on VmWare for VDA machines we will solve that issue...

And it does. After we have disable DRS on all VDAs, all machines stays stable and they not unregistering again.

• Like 2

I have the same problem. With me the infrastructure lasts for about a week, then the VDAs get out. I open a case with Citrix, but without success.

Support has advised me to use the VDA cleanup and roll it out again. Furthermore, I was advised to activate the Citrix guidelines CPU usage, memory usage, disk usage, but without success.

Can you still access the affected VDAs in any way if they are no longer registered?

7 hours ago, Dominik Volk said:

I have the same problem. With me the infrastructure lasts for about a week, then the VDAs get out. I open a case with Citrix, but without success.

Support has advised me to use the VDA cleanup and roll it out again. Furthermore, I was advised to activate the Citrix guidelines CPU usage, memory usage, disk usage, but without success.

Can you still access the affected VDAs in any way if they are no longer registered?

Hello, I can access them over RDP without problems...

And throgh that I test network connectivity with DDC... It was ok...

From Citrix perspective everything looks ok (services, ping...), but machines still getting unregistered state... Really strange.

Antivirus exclusions are configured before, so we cannot say it is antivirus.

Since it is on VmWare environment we tried change NIC between e1000e and vmxnet3, but also didn't help.

Any points?

15 hours ago, mnovaci566 said:

Hello, I can access them over RDP without problems...

And throgh that I test network connectivity with DDC... It was ok...

From Citrix perspective everything looks ok (services, ping...), but machines still getting unregistered state... Really strange.

Antivirus exclusions are configured before, so we cannot say it is antivirus.

Since it is on VmWare environment we tried change NIC between e1000e and vmxnet3, but also didn't help.

Any points?

Okay, in my case I can't access the VDA. It is not possible via RDP or login via VMware's local console ... yes, it is strange. I'm still researching performance counters because in my case they weren't working very well. My next step is to reconfigure the machine catalog.

We have GDATA Antivirus with recommended exclusion lists from Citrix and Microsoft. It may also be a side effect of another problem. I had problems with the initial user connection so that the desktop could not start. This was due to the RDP licensing or the RDP Grace Period Cache. I will roll out again this week to see if this problem is resolved.

I'm slowly running out of ideas too.

The event log does not help in this regard. I'll let you know when I've received a solution from Citrix Support or from myself.

Greetings

52 minutes ago, Dominik Volk said:

Okay, in my case I can't access the VDA. It is not possible via RDP or login via VMware's local console ... yes, it is strange. I'm still researching performance counters because in my case they weren't working very well. My next step is to reconfigure the machine catalog.

We have GDATA Antivirus with recommended exclusion lists from Citrix and Microsoft. It may also be a side effect of another problem. I had problems with the initial user connection so that the desktop could not start. This was due to the RDP licensing or the RDP Grace Period Cache. I will roll out again this week to see if this problem is resolved.

I'm slowly running out of ideas too.

The event log does not help in this regard. I'll let you know when I've received a solution from Citrix Support or from myself.

Greetings

Thank you... I will also continue to investigate... I found out, in time when VDA gets disconnected, under it's cmd (when I run netstat -ano), it shows connection with DDC in TIME_WAIT state.

I'm planning to open a case at Citrix.

Will keep you posted here upon progress...

I had similar in the past, it was related to using the MCS write-cache feature in the machine catalog.   As soon as I turned that off, it stopped happening immediately.

This was in 7.15 LTSR though, I believe it is meant to work better now.   But if you're using write-cache, it might be worth creating a catalog with it disabled and seeing if it happens to those machines too.

5 hours ago, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

I had similar in the past, it was related to using the MCS write-cache feature in the machine catalog.   As soon as I turned that off, it stopped happening immediately.

This was in 7.15 LTSR though, I believe it is meant to work better now.   But if you're using write-cache, it might be worth creating a catalog with it disabled and seeing if it happens to those machines too.

Thanks for the tip, but we didn't check disk cache option during Machine Catalog creation..

All of our MC are without disk cache.

But, thank you again...

Hi

I have the same symptoms but i have CVAD 2112 VDA & 2103VDAs and Citrix Cloud with server on prem on vmware. We did ms patching for March 2022 and these machines while in use, just go in an unregistered state and then are in accessible, via vcenter console or RDP we are unable to get to the server. The only way to get back in is to reboot the server.

This has just started happening and I am kind of lost as to what could be doing this. Anyone else have this resolved or have same environment and experience?

Thanks

On 3/29/2022 at 6:22 AM, Michael Wheeler1709163263 said:

Hi

I have the same symptoms but i have CVAD 2112 VDA & 2103VDAs and Citrix Cloud with server on prem on vmware. We did ms patching for March 2022 and these machines while in use, just go in an unregistered state and then are in accessible, via vcenter console or RDP we are unable to get to the server. The only way to get back in is to reboot the server.

This has just started happening and I am kind of lost as to what could be doing this. Anyone else have this resolved or have same environment and experience?

Thanks

Hello,

we also have this problem.
We have a Citrix ticket open, so far without solution.

Hello,

We have the same issue...

Our config:

Windows Server 2019 Datacenter 1809

MCS with Citrix 7 2203 LTSR CU3

For all Delivery Groups => we had to program a daily reboot to overcome these recording problems

But for one Delivery Group of them, he loses the recording in the middle of the day....

I have just removed the DRS on each VDA of Delivery Group causing problems in the middle of the day.

Please Citrix, we need some help.

Melvin