Updated Privacy Statement

Black screen after first login with user layers

Question

Hi all,

I have published a Windows 10 (1909 and 2004)  image with full user layer to VMWare Horizon from App Layering 20.8.

After first login the VHD for user profile is correctly created at the share. When I close the session and connect again, after login, a black screen appears and the desktop never arises.

I have tried to rename the user VHD file and the systems creates a new one (obviously losing all profile changes), and at the following login I have the same black screen again.

If I publish the image without user layer enabled the desktop works correctly, it seems a problem with connecting/disconnecting the VHD to/from the desktop.

I have tried with releases 1909 and 2004 of Windows 10 and same results.

Any clue? I have seen the same problem at internet with no resolution.

Regards,

11 answers to this question

On 9/11/2020 at 3:09 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

It should work i wonder if its deleting the VM before we finish handling the logout.  You might try figuring out how to delay the refresh for say 30 seconds to see if that helps.

uhmmm, the deletion of the VM happens after logging out and shutdown of it. I think AppLayering should finish the logout process before that, shouldn't it?

Regards,

Are you certain the black screen never disappears? Though not the wanted, or expected behavior.

Test with only the OS and Platform Layers, included in the published image, and User Layer enabled. Should you still see the same issue, open a case with our support team. If you do not see the same issue, then test by adding other layers, to see when the failure happens. There might be a conflict with another layer.

The post you referred to, is from 2+ years ago, so it may have been fixed, but each case is slightly different.

17 minutes ago, Raymond Colon said:

Are you certain the black screen never disappears? Though not the wanted, or expected behavior.

Test with only the OS and Platform Layers, included in the published image, and User Layer enabled. Should you still see the same issue, open a case with our support team. If you do not see the same issue, then test by adding other layers, to see when the failure happens. There might be a conflict with another layer.

The post you referred to, is from 2+ years ago, so it may have been fixed, but each case is slightly different.

The blank screen dissapears after a long while, you're right with that, that it takes 4-5 minutos for the desktop to appear...