Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MS Teams not pulling through audio devices

Lee Palmer

Question

Hello,

I'm having an issue where Microsoft Teams doesn't appear to be detecting Audio devices. 

Teams is running on a Server 2019 image running VDA 1912. Teams is version 1.3.00.4461, which the About-> version menu displaying "Optimized for Citrix". 

I've tried deploying both the application and desktop, both have the same symptoms. If I take the App out of VDI mode (regedit) I can see all of the audio devices in the Teams menu, can make calls, so it must be something with the Teams Redirection. 

Some troubleshooting guides online suggest checking the webrpc log. All I get is two lines suggesting it couldn't create the audio module. I'm struggling to find any further log files or information on why it's having issues creating the module. 

=============================
Sun Mar 29 13:23:57 2020
Mar 29 13:23:57.232 webrtcapi.WebRTCEngine Info: init. initializing...
Mar 29 13:23:57.520 webrtcapi.WebRTCEngine Error: init. couldn't create audio module!

Any help would be much appreciated! I've also attached the Microsoft Teams log in case that of use. 

Thanks
Lee

TeamsLog.txt

HI Lee

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/opt-ms-teams.html#peripherals-in-microsoft-teams

HdxTeams.exe supports only these specific audio device formats (channels, bit depth, and sample rate):

Playback Devices: up to 2 channels, 16 bit, frequencies up to 48000 Hz

Recording Devices: up to 3 channels, 16 bit, frequencies up to 48000 Hz

Even if one speaker or microphone does not match the expected settings, device enumeration in Teams fails and None displays under Settings > Devices. As a workaround, open the Sound Control Panel (mmsys.cpl), select the playback or recording device, go to Properties > Advanced and change the settings to a supported mode. Alternatively, disable the specific device.

Can you try this?

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Lee Palmer said:

As if it was something that simple, working now.

All of the audio devices I was using for testing were on 24bit, amended settings to 16bit and working fine. 

Thank you!

Glad to hear!

Lesson #1 : we got to fix this. We are aware of the problem and will get it corrected. It will require a new CWA version (no changes on VDA or Teams)

Lesson #2:  always check our documentation (edocs and CTX). We are making Teams the most documented feature out there :) 

I am having the same exact issue and I am following the doc to try and disable incompatible playback/recording devices.  I disabled all audio devices except for my Teams approved Jabra Speak 710 puck (VDA mmsys.cpl SettingsPlayback: 16 bit, 44100 Hz; Recording: 1 Channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz) (Physical Client mmsys.cpl settingsPlayback: 2 Channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz; Recording: 1 Channel, 16 bit, 16000 Hz Grayed out ).  These seem to be within the specified ranges unless I am reading this wrong.

I am also not sure if this is the issue that is causing Teams to not be able to join any meetings with Audio Off entry, it instantly leaves the meeting.  I feel like I cannot troubleshoot that until I am sure it is not the sound devices being set to None possibly causing the issue.

Tue Mar 31 09:05:57 2020
Mar 31 09:05:57.43 webrtcapi.WebRTCEngine Info: init. initializing...
Mar 31 09:05:57.525 webrtcapi.WebRTCEngine Error: init. couldn't create audio module!

2 hours ago, Michael OShaughnessy said:

I am having the same exact issue and I am following the doc to try and disable incompatible playback/recording devices.  I disabled all audio devices except for my Teams approved Jabra Speak 710 puck (VDA mmsys.cpl SettingsPlayback: 16 bit, 44100 Hz; Recording: 1 Channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz) (Physical Client mmsys.cpl settingsPlayback: 2 Channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz; Recording: 1 Channel, 16 bit, 16000 Hz Grayed out ).  These seem to be within the specified ranges unless I am reading this wrong.

I am also not sure if this is the issue that is causing Teams to not be able to join any meetings with Audio Off entry, it instantly leaves the meeting.  I feel like I cannot troubleshoot that until I am sure it is not the sound devices being set to None possibly causing the issue.

Tue Mar 31 09:05:57 2020
Mar 31 09:05:57.43 webrtcapi.WebRTCEngine Info: init. initializing...
Mar 31 09:05:57.525 webrtcapi.WebRTCEngine Error: init. couldn't create audio module!

WebRTC looks for some fixed audio quality settings on the physical client, not the VDA, and unfortunately if even one of the devices does not comply, it can break redirection and peripheral enumeration.

I think the Frequency 48000Hz might not be supported then, based on your description. Can you bring it down to 44kHz in your playback?

31 minutes ago, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

WebRTC looks for some fixed audio quality settings on the physical client, not the VDA, and unfortunately if even one of the devices does not comply, it can break redirection and peripheral enumeration.

I think the Frequency 48000Hz might not be supported then, based on your description. Can you bring it down to 44kHz in your playback?

I changed it and it is still a no go.  In between changes, I closed Teams, disconnected from the VDA, reconnected to the VDA, launched Teams.  Anything else that needs to be done after a change?

On 4/3/2020 at 5:05 PM, Jonathon Luken said:

I do have to say this is no where near production ready. I have to disable every audio device on my computer to get it to work short of my headset... No way an end user would do all that....

Have to say I agree.   Teams is an absolute nightmare on Citrix, I've been fighting with it for almost two years now and it's still so, so painful compared to Skype.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:40 AM, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

Have to say I agree.   Teams is an absolute nightmare on Citrix, I've been fighting with it for almost two years now and it's still so, so painful compared to Skype.

I just got an email from citrix saying this was escalated to development. So it will be fixed in a future release....

So I am in a similar situation where it can be hit and miss.

Mainly for me it was the Mic not working but that was down to Windows Defender Firewall issues preventing the Teams HDX Overlay process from running (you need local admin rights).

With all users working from home now, it not just Windows Corporate Laptops, but personal Apple Macs and Chromebooks endpoints to support (which are not Teams optimised).

For Chat, Teams works fine on all endpoint types.

When it comes to Audio or Camera use, I have found running Teams (both Desktop and web client version) outside of Citrix works fine and users can still share content from their Citrix Desktop session just as well.

10 hours ago, Kevin Halstead1709158370 said:

We're finding Teams a problem when connecting from Chromebooks. If someone shares their camera it works fine. If the recipient then shares their camera the audio cuts out after 10 seconds. Anyone have this issue on Chromebooks?

Are you running Teams inside Citrix or outside?

Are you using G Suite to manage these endpoints?

Hi,

Works fine using the native teams app on Chromebook. Just through Citrix. No G Suite.

They have also tested Zoom and the sound cuts out after a couple of seconds on that as well. So not just teams.  Looks like the sound channel may be switching somehow when the recipients webcam is activated.  Nothing changes with the webcam or audio channels that we can see.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:35 PM, Jonathon Luken said:

I do have to say this is no where near production ready. I have to disable every audio device on my computer to get it to work short of my headset... No way an end user would do all that....

I have no luck with the above methods. I am just accessing Teams on Citrix Workspace App. Teams detecting mic is going on in a cycle for now. Atleast couple of times, this NONE enumeration had occurred now. I faced the issue yesterday and using the above guidelines, it worked and now again it is not working. Can somebody help please?

3 hours ago, Kumari Murugesan said:

I have no luck with the above methods. I am just accessing Teams on Citrix Workspace App. Teams detecting mic is going on in a cycle for now. Atleast couple of times, this NONE enumeration had occurred now. I faced the issue yesterday and using the above guidelines, it worked and now again it is not working. Can somebody help please?

First off, we are working on this bug as we speak. I dont have an ETA but will post updates in CTX253754 Live Updates section.

Can you tell me which Audio driver your pc has?

Go to Device Manager / Sound, video and game controllers, find your soundcard, right click, Properties/Driver?

12 hours ago, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

First off, we are working on this bug as we speak. I dont have an ETA but will post updates in CTX253754 Live Updates section.

Can you tell me which Audio driver your pc has?

Go to Device Manager / Sound, video and game controllers, find your soundcard, right click, Properties/Driver?

Conexant SmartAudio HD on Lenovo Ideapad. Sometimes I use Teams compatible headset too, but same issue (JABRA Headset)

I tried using Unoptimized teams yesterday and had detected the mic and speaker so far.  Can I be able to manage without any issues?

This thread has been very helpful. I was able to get around my similar issue by disabling the offending sound device (Bose USB Speakers). The frequency settings are fixed, so I couldn't adjust them. But when I disabled the device, I could then load up Citrix Workspace and log into Teams and I would see all my other audio devices in Settings. I then can re-enable the Bose device on my PC and Teams will pick it up as well for use. Klunky to be sure, but at least it's a working solution until a fix is deployed. We're switching over to Teams actively at my company and this was a huge issue for me.

11 minutes ago, David Neely said:

This thread has been very helpful. I was able to get around my similar issue by disabling the offending sound device (Bose USB Speakers). The frequency settings are fixed, so I couldn't adjust them. But when I disabled the device, I could then load up Citrix Workspace and log into Teams and I would see all my other audio devices in Settings. I then can re-enable the Bose device on my PC and Teams will pick it up as well for use. Klunky to be sure, but at least it's a working solution until a fix is deployed. We're switching over to Teams actively at my company and this was a huge issue for me.

HI Dave,

could you share with us the Audio modes your Bose speaker has?

If you run mmsys.cpl and select the Bose playback device / Properties / Advanced and take a screenshot of the drop down menu Audio Formats, it would help.

Also, i would like to see the audio driver for that device (see attachment)

audio formats.jpg

7 hours ago, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

HI Dave,

could you share with us the Audio modes your Bose speaker has?

If you run mmsys.cpl and select the Bose playback device / Properties / Advanced and take a screenshot of the drop down menu Audio Formats, it would help.

Also, i would like to see the audio driver for that device (see attachment)

audio formats.jpg

SoundProperties.thumb.JPG.7cb36351783e10ba551744290bcb3fc1.JPG

SoundProperties2.thumb.JPG.a2414e07ad6b6a22bcde1dfed93ffcdb.JPG

Here's what I have...I'm not sure why the frequency settings for this device is greyed out.