Welcome to our new Citrix community!

c:\users\%username%\appdata\local\Temp folder disappears after first login

Tim Rogers1709160555

Question

UPDATE:   We have discovered the reason for all our issues stems from the users appdata\local\temp folder being removed after initial login.   If you repair office, it puts the folder back, only to have it removed after first login.    I have appdata\local\temp in the Exclusion list, so I am not sure why this is disappearing.   Any help greatly appreciated.

Hello, 

We are having an issue with a few applications.   As an example, MS Access opens fine.  If you path to a DB on network share, it will open fine, you can hit enable to enable activex and select Trust the file.  Then you log out of the VDI and log back in, and Access can no longer open the file, nor can it  open any other DB.  it cannot even create a new DB.   What I have found is that the appdata\roaming\Microsoft\Access folder that is normally created when you open a DB is not there.   So it does not create the system.idb file needed, nor can it access the system.mdw file that is created as well, as they don't exist.  They are not in the Profile in the user store either.     We are using UPM 1808 on Windows 2019 LTSC (1809) and using WEM to provide the UPM rules.   We are running on 7.15 LTSR.   We can run repair on office and it will be fixed until next login, we can also re-build the profile, which will allow it to work until next login.   If we launch Access with the local admin account, then we can path to the file and open it with out  issue in the same user session.  We are having similar issues with excel worksheets with Macros and other active x applications.

Edited by trogers@wrberkley.com
Discovered Reason for issue - need to figure out why it's happening

9 answers to this question

On 1/22/2020 at 9:54 PM, Tim Rogers1709160555 said:

UPDATE:   We have discovered the reason for all our issues stems from the users appdata\local\temp folder being removed after initial login.   If you repair office, it puts the folder back, only to have it removed after first login.    I have appdata\local\temp in the Exclusion list, so I am not sure why this is disappearing.   Any help greatly appreciated.

Hello, 

We are having an issue with a few applications.   As an example, MS Access opens fine.  If you path to a DB on network share, it will open fine, you can hit enable to enable activex and select Trust the file.  Then you log out of the VDI and log back in, and Access can no longer open the file, nor can it  open any other DB.  it cannot even create a new DB.   What I have found is that the appdata\roaming\Microsoft\Access folder that is normally created when you open a DB is not there.   So it does not create the system.idb file needed, nor can it access the system.mdw file that is created as well, as they don't exist.  They are not in the Profile in the user store either.     We are using UPM 1808 on Windows 2019 LTSC (1809) and using WEM to provide the UPM rules.   We are running on 7.15 LTSR.   We can run repair on office and it will be fixed until next login, we can also re-build the profile, which will allow it to work until next login.   If we launch Access with the local admin account, then we can path to the file and open it with out  issue in the same user session.  We are having similar issues with excel worksheets with Macros and other active x applications.

Hi Trogers,

Are you able to resolve the issue? We experience the same behavior where appdata\local\temp being removed after logon. Please share the fix. TY.

I have a temporary fix in place for now.   I went into WEM and created a File System Operation to created  C:\Users\%username%\appdata\local\Temp    And set it to not override if existing and to run every login.   I set it to create directory.      You could do the same with a GPO I'm sure or even a Scheduled Task on the OS.   I still have a case opened with Support as I would like to know what caused this to happen.  

We are experiencing the same problem with an in-house app where the temp directory does not pre-exist. We are also running 7.15 LTSR. This problem has just appeared as we upgrade from W10 1709 to 1809. The app worked without issue prior to 1809. We do not use WEM, but we do use UPM with the temp directory excluded from synch as part of the default exclusions.

Hello,

The same issue just showed up around 2/19/2020 for us as well.  We have been on Windows 1809 and XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR with UPM for a while and had no issue. Now (2/19/2020) when a user logs into a desktop they have no C:\Users\%username%\appdata\local\Temp which causes many issues for office products. We have notice if the user launches Internet Explorer then the Temp folder gets created and everything works fine, but only for that session. 

We don't include C:\Users\%username%\appdata\local\Temp in the profile.  It should get created each time the user signs in but its not. The environmental variables are set correctly. 

If the user is new and doesn't have a roaming profile everything works at first logon. then second logon and after the problem occurs. 

Ben 

Same Problem here

After Upgrading Windows 10 from 1803 to 1809, We've experienced that several programs like access with ODBC connection, and another inhouse program which connects to an SQL server, reported Jet Engine database errors and they could not be started. After some research I recognized, that the programs work fine when I manually create the Temp folder under c:\users\<username>\appdata\local.

Should this temp folder be created at every login? Is this a windows problem or UPM problem? I'm currently running VDA 1912 and PVS target 1903. 

I will submit a call with citrix.

Regards, Cedy