Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix FAS based authentication causes Azure AD Seamless SSO to fail within the VDA sesssion

Terry Rebstein

Question

We are trying to solve an issue where users who log into a VDA via a FAS based authentication are unable to properly leverage Azure AD based SSO (Activate Office, Browse O365 portal in IE etc). Users can log in directly via RDP, Console or via a non-FAS based storefront site and everything works ok. Anyone have any tips on resolving this? We have already enabled the FAS GPO option for making the certificates available within the session without a prompt.

21 answers to this question

Following....

I also have the same issue and have been on a dozen calls with Microsoft and Citrix to no avail.  No PRT while using FAS with AD Connect while running multi-session Windows 10 machines in Azure.  Without ADFS.  SSO works fine in RDP and on physical machines; just not in Citrix.  Surely there's a solution to enable SSO within a Citrix session.

• Like 1

You get a PRT when using azure ad certificate-based authentication (currently in public preview) but it's only working with Windows 11 Insider Preview Build, at the moment. MS will backport the functionality for Windows 10 and Server OS later this year (no ETA confirmed) see my post about some details https://www.julianjakob.com/citrix-fas-azure-ad-cba-with-primary-refresh-token-prt/ 

The other workaround is to federate your domain with OnPrem ADFS and connect your ADFS to Azure MFA. This is also supported and generates a PRT.

I know, both methods aren't the best, yet... 

Edit: There is also another method, using local credentials for pushing SSO, but you have to use native Workspace App and the clients have to be domain-joined. See https://citrixie.wordpress.com/2022/07/04/citrix-workspace-azure-ad-sso-access-to-vda-desktops-and-apps-without-fas/ 

3 hours ago, Rene Bigler said:

as a workaround you can also implement Azure Active Directory Seamless Single Sign-On: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/how-to-connect-sso-quick-start

But this is what we have if I'm not mistaken. It started working as soon as I removed FAS settings from the store. We have Password Hash Synch with SSO and the site in intranet sites and so on. 

On 9/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, Robert Berggren1709162216 said:

But this is what we have if I'm not mistaken. It started working as soon as I removed FAS settings from the store. We have Password Hash Synch with SSO and the site in intranet sites and so on. 

can you elaborate on your comment from this post? "But this is what we have if I'm not mistaken. It started working as soon as I removed FAS settings from the store. We have Password Hash Synch with SSO and the site in intranet sites and so on."

Do you have office sso working now? Not sure what you meant by removing FAS from store?

Are you using Non persistent VDAs in your environment. If you want this to be working, you will possibly need to include below registry keys on the client side. Either it be persistent or non-persistent.

and before Implementing these registry keys, please do confirm that Seamless SSO is enabled within your tenant. Below are the registry keys for your reference: -

Azure AD Connect: Seamless Single Sign-On - quickstart - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn - Group policy Detailed Steps

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Browse to User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page. Then select Site to Zone Assignment List. (This is enabled in console)

Value name: The Azure AD URL where the Kerberos tickets are forwarded.

Value (Data): 1 indicates the Intranet zone.

The result looks like this:

Value name: https://autologon.microsoftazuread-sso.com

Value (Data): 1

Browse to User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > Security Page > Intranet Zone. Then select Allow updates to status bar via script

After enabling the below settings on the client side, I was successfully able to authenticate using Seamless SSO feature enabled at the tenant level.

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

I recently experienced the same issue and found by adding the following registry key it allowed office app logins from Citrix with FAS.  Apparently, the certificates from FAS are not being handed over because the server determines Azure AD to be "internet" and not "intranet".

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"AuthServerAllowlist"="\"https://autologon.microsoftazuread-sso.com\""