Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Long Logon times Win10 1903 with dual monitors

Goran Jozic

Question

We are testing Windows 10 1903 and everything looks fine except login times are 60+ seconds when users are logging in on the workstations with dual monitors.

same users get less than 20 secs logon times when logging in into client of any kind with single monitor. We use mix of laptops, Wyse terminals and Macs. 

We did not experience this problem in Windows 10 1803 nor 1809. Logon times were pretty much the same regardless of the number of monitors. 

Changing VDA version did not make any impact. Originally we used LTSR, but have been experiencing same long logon times in VDA 1903 or 1909.

Interestingly, CPU utilization on VDA during logon is much higher on clients with two monitors than on client with single monitor.

Our Controllers are LTSR 7.15CU4 we use Provisioning Server LTSR7.15 CU4 and XenServer 7.1

Has anyone experienced similar issue? 

Thank you all,

21 answers to this question

Hello,

I find a solution.

I work with vmware horizon and I have the same problem as everyone here for several months

I activated the GPO "Show clear logon Background"

This policy setting disables the acrylic blur effect on logon background image.

You see this gpo in :

Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates- System - Logon

I had report the solution on this forum

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/628568

Have a lovely day everybody...

• Like 3

I have the same issue - very similar configuration, but have been updating the VDA to try to resolve it.

Currently running:

LTSR 7.15 CU5 

Windows 10 1909 - Fully patched (including updates from this week)

Non-Persistent Pooled MCS machines on XenServer 7.1 CU 2

Endpoints are typically HP Thin Clients running Thin Pro 7.1

We migrated to new hardware for our XenServer hosts (New Dell R740s) and had seen a dramatic reduction in login times (average of 38 seconds) which was acceptable. Now, I've run into issues with Profile Streaming/Always Cache (profile doesn't seem to be fully loaded before desktop is presented to the user.) With Profile Streaming disabled, login times are back up to 60+ seconds. When I log the same user on to a laptop (single display), we average 20 seconds.

I was working with Citrix support to try to resolve this issue, but we weren't able to determine a root cause. I closed the ticket after moving to the new hardware, but I'm not certain this is a Citrix issue - I think it's Windows 10 1903/1909. This is our first Windows 10 catalog, so I don't have any experience with previous versions of Windows 10. All of our other desktop catalogs are Windows 7 (XenApp servers are Windows Server 2012R2) - haven't experienced this issue with other operating systems.

Has anyone experienced/resolved this?

Thank you

for what its worth i've been battling to cut down on login times for our Win10 1903 MCS Nonpersistent / App Layering (User layer) environment and just stumbled on this same issue as everyone is discussing here.    I've found that if i log in to via client (Linux, Mac, HTML5, etc) with a single monitor setup i'm getting around 25-35 sec logins.    If i login to that same pool / user on a client with 2 monitors that number almost doubles (50-70 seconds on average).     Looking at it a little closer i've noticed if i monitor Director during the login,  sessions via single monitor setup assigns a VDA to the session within around 15-17 seconds.  However when connecting via dual monitor setup it doesn't assign a VDA for around 30-40 seconds

image.thumb.png.42a02ccddb949ac8a686481c8f241054.png

I have no idea what to make of that or what that means but its the first real lead i've had w/ this so far so hoping smarter people here have some advice!  i'm going to see if i can get some procmon boot logs to help as well.     We are using Nutanix AHV as our hypervisor for reference

We are experiencing the same issue. Did anybody find any solution yet?

In our case:

• Win10 1903
  • PVS 7.15 CU3
  • VDA 7.15 CU5
  • AppLayering 1910 (including Elastic Layers)
  • Symantec Endpoint Protection
  • We don't use GPU's 

According to our tests it is not related to:

• The user profile solution (in our case Ivanti)
  • Endpoint (All endpoints have the issue, as long as there are 2 monitors)
  • AD account (tested with multiple users, all have it)
  • SEP (tested without the Symantec layer, issue still there)
  • We've done many other tests, but since we know the issue is related to screen resolution these tests seem irrelevant... :)

We do notice that during the logon dwm.exe takes a very large portion of the CPU for the entire logon duration. (The cpu is at 100% the entire 5+ minutes)

Hello,

I have some update:

• I created a new Windows 10 - 1903 machine, installed VDA on it, logged on through storefront: 
    • Logon with 1 screen: 42-47 seconds
    • Logon with 2 screens: 42-47 seconds
  • I ran the Citrix Optimizer 2.6, with standard settings for 1903:
    • Logon with 2 screens: 85-95 seconds

As you can see, I believe that the Citrix Optimization tool made a change which broke our logon performance on dual monitor VDIs.

Kind Regards,

Geert

We have a ticket open now but we aren't really getting anywhere fast. Anyone else have some success?

These tests were static machines using mcs and local disk storage of profile.  Tried to eliminate as much as possible from equation.

Additional things we tried:

1903/1909 with only VDA 7.15 LTSR CU5 (with and without optimizer didn't matter) = 10-12 secs with 1 monitor about 28-32 with 2 monitors.

1909 with the new 1912 LTSR with only VDA = 5-8 seconds with 1 monitor about 21-23 seconds with 2 monitors

Made vm outside of app layering and put VDA 7.15 LTSR CU5 on it (1903/1909) same results = 10-12 secs with 1 monitor about 28-32 with 2 monitors.

Edited by heavylunch
clarification of test environment
On 1/22/2020 at 5:38 AM, Geert De Keyser said:

Hi Geert,

We didn't see these results at all.  Are you still seeing those numbers simply by not applying the optimization tool?    Our tests with and without the optimization tool only changed things by 2-3 seconds or so.

On 1/22/2020 at 5:38 AM, geert.dekeyser said:

Hello,

I have some update:

• I created a new Windows 10 - 1903 machine, installed VDA on it, logged on through storefront: 
    • Logon with 2 screens: 42-47 seconds
  • I ran the Citrix Optimizer 2.6, with standard settings for 1903:
    • Logon with 2 screens: 85-95 seconds

As you can see, I believe that the Citrix Optimization tool made a change which broke our logon performance on dual monitor VDIs.

Kind Regards,

Geert

are you using MCS non persistent for your tests or persistent?  i'd kill for even the 28-32 sec logons w/ 1 monitor right now! (we're non persistent/app layering and getting 35-40 for 1 monitor,  70-90 for 2). i'd be real curious how you got yours so low if you dont mind

as for progress, i have a ticket going too and it just got escalated so we'll see where it goes.   I told them as far as i know 1903 and 1909 are affected but not 100% which version it was good on before. i'll keep everyone posted on what i find in my ticket too

i saw another post where a user noticed that the cpu was pegged for an extended amount of time w/ dual monitors on the hypervisor end. not sure if thats the same as what we're seeing but something i wanted to check too.  I also tried enabling advanced diagnostics for logon which would show you what step its at during logon rather than just the welcome screen hoping to find something but it just seems like every step takes longer (which would make sense if the cpu is pegged)

We use MCS non-persistent for production.   We see the same issue (meaning time delay) with persistent images and local disk stored profiles.  It is like 40-60 second delay in our non-persistent environment and about 20 seconds in our persistent environment.    We just "dumbed" down testing to just the base OS and the VDA to eliminate finger pointing as much as possible.  Everything was fine on 1803 for us.  There was no difference in logon for 1 or 2 monitors.  If there was, it was like 1 or 2 seconds.

My production non-persistent mcs images fully loaded with apps were this:

We have what appears to be same issue.  W10 1903.  Used Optimizer.  

Logon with 1 monitor is about 38-49 seconds

Logon with 2 monitors is about 98-130 seconds

Ugh...

ok cool yup about the same boat here then.   now that i think about it, our persistent desktops see really fast logons but they are still 1803 so makes sense i guess!   and since RDP on 1903 and dual monitors is fast has to be something Windows / Citrix related on that 1903 and beyond update. hopefully one of our tickets can crack it soon.   i THINK i tried non optimized and saw the same thing but thatd be great if theres something in that as the culprit too

Hello, I don't know why my tests with Citrix Optimizer were the way they were, since I can no longer reproduce that. What I do know is that we decided to rebuild the image with Windows 1809 LTSC and all the same software and configurations and now we don't have the dual monitor issue anymore. As far as I know the issue is really related to Windows 1903.

What I also see is that the delay with dual monitors is there with or without AppLayering, only AppLayering slows it down even more. 

To mitigate issue, we have just assigned more CPUs to the virtual machines.  Our old standard for staff on 1803 was 4 cores.  On 1903 we have to go to 8 cores to achieve the same logon time.  Even then, 2 monitors is still about 20 seconds slower than single monitor.  Not a great solution but it appears to work and get our dual monitor users back working.

FYI: Our 5 year old VDI cluster hosts are this: Intel Xeon CPU E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30GHz, 48 Logical Processors

We have ran into this issue was well, We are running non persistent Windows 10 (1903/1909) vdi with 4vcpu and 8GB of memory assigned to each VM running on ESXi 6.5 Host. The issue isn't limited to just accessing the vm's via ICA but also using RDP.  When the user logs into the VM for the first time on a single monitor we average 30 seconds, but from a dual monitor we are seeing 120 seconds. We have found that when we remove the setting that prevents the first run animation that our logon time for the dual screens drops to 60 seconds from 120 seconds, but the crazy part is that the single monitor logon time increases when we make this change. 

The policy we are messing with is  Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon > "Show first sign-in Animation" 

-When the policy is Disabled we see a 120 second logon time on dual screens and a 30 second logon time on single

-When the Policy is not configured or enabled we have a 60 second logon time with dual screens and around 45 second logon time on single

-Enabling this policy on 1809 seems to increase our logon time as well

We are currently working with Microsoft support on the issue but wanted to share our findings to see if this helps anyone else or if it is just limited to our environment. 

Group-Policy-editor.png

thank you for the info here!  we actually are using app layering w/ user layer as well so really only have that first time logon once for each user (since user layer gives persistence ) so we may have a slightly different issue ...... i do have that first time animation turned off in our image so all set with that and right now we get around 30-40 seconds (sometimes less) for single monitor logon and 70-80 for dual.   I have noticed in some cases if i lower the resolution down to something like 800x600 it drops the time so the display res seems to play a part here for some reason.   

good to know you're working with microsoft on it.  we have an escalated ticket w/ citrix still going and i've done a ridiculous amount of log collecting so far (client, vda, ddc, procmon, video recording, etc) and currently being sent to engineering i'm told so maybe between both of our tickets we can get somewhere here!

in our case when i test rdp w/ dual screens its just as fast as single so not sure why we are seeing that different than your tests but we'll keep plugging away!  thanks for chiming in!

5 hours ago, Vincent Ottevanger said:

Hello,

I find a solution.

I work with vmware horizon and I have the same problem as everyone here for several months

I activated the GPO "Show clear logon Background"

This policy setting disables the acrylic blur effect on logon background image.

You see this gpo in :

Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates- System - Logon

I had report the solution on this forum

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/628568

Have a lovely day everybody...

I just implemented this fix this morning, used a Registry Key applied via GPO (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/124993-enable-disable-acrylic-blur-effect-sign-screen-windows-10-a.html) - so far it's seems to be working. Most of our users were logged in before I got the GPO rolled out, but it looks promising.

Thanks vinch16!

7 hours ago, Craig Urquhart1709153790 said:

I just implemented this fix this morning, used a Registry Key applied via GPO (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/124993-enable-disable-acrylic-blur-effect-sign-screen-windows-10-a.html) - so far it's seems to be working. Most of our users were logged in before I got the GPO rolled out, but it looks promising.

Thanks vinch16!

This fixed it  for us on 1903 as well, went from a 2 min logon time to 44 seconds, with out any optimizations. 

you are our hero here on this one!  this looks to have done the trick for us too on 1903!  we were running about 70-80 seconds for 2 screens........25-40 on single and now i'm getting that on both so thank you! i have an escalated ticket w/ Citrix that i had to gather more difficult logs than i can remember at this point so i'm thrilled to be able to put this one behind us!