Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows Explorer on Server 2019 in Seamless Mode dont refresh

Lutz Martens

Question

Hi

We are running Citrix Virtual apps and Desktop 1906 on Windows Server 2019

For some users the Windows Explorer is published as seamless app.

On creation/deletion/renaming of a file, the change is only visible after hitting F5 for refresh.

I tried out Tablacus Explorer (nice you can use it with run as ;) ) but it uses the same system functions an has the same problem.

I also published an desktop and the problem does not exists. New created folders are visible without refresh.

All testing is made with the same user on the same Server. It seems to be a difference between seamless apps and the shared dektop.

The common WEDR Fix dontrefresch for CLID {BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F} does not make a difference.

9 answers to this question

We finally found the solution to this problem. We had to open a Citrix Support Case and they recommended setting the key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI

Create a new DWORD called SeamlessFlags

Set the value to 2000 (Hexadecimal)

This solution has no negative effects so far. Tray icons are still visible.

• Like 2

Adding 20 to our current SeamlessFlags setting solved this issue for us.

The only other "observation" so-far is now the OneDrive tray icon in Citrix is not visible...as would be expected from the setting.

At this point (early user Pilot testing), not sure if this is an issue for us, as it is running OK and accessible via the explorer view anyway.

Does anyone have another solution for this other than disabling systray agent?
This works for my published applications in Windows 2019 Server w/ Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 1912 LTSR, but it removes systray icons I would like to have available, like Citrix Connection Quality Indicator, Microsoft Teams etc.

I can get Windows Explorer to refresh by adding this reg key:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX263595

but other windows won't refresh, for instance when choosing "Save as" in an application (like Word), and adding a new folder. Needs to hit F5.

Unbelievably enough, this was fixed in July 18th 2017 on Windows Server 2016 in KB4025334:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025334/windows-10-update-kb4025334
"Addressed issue where File Explorer does not refresh changes automatically when using RemoteApps on Windows Server 2016. "

WHY is it still an issue in Windows 2019 Server, Microsoft, WHY?? Jeezus.

The two workarounds I'm aware of are to either

(1) Create the DontUseDesktopChangeRouter DWORD for every application you care about. If the subkey for the exe doesn't exist underneath \App Paths\, then create it.

(2) Set the DISABLE SYSTRAYAGENT seamless flag.

I have a Microsoft case open regarding this and the question has come up as to how we upgraded our servers. In our case we upgraded in place from Server 2012 R2. Question for the community: are any of you experiencing the problem after upgrading from Server 2016 or after installing Server 2019 fresh?

On 2/5/2021 at 9:08 AM, Schuumltz Hans said:

We finally found the solution to this problem. We had to open a Citrix Support Case and they recommended setting the key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI

Create a new DWORD called SeamlessFlags

Set the value to 2000 (Hexadecimal)

This solution has no negative effects so far. Tray icons are still visible.

This also fixed my issue.