Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Desktops boots up black and rejecting connections

Mark Veldman

Question

Hi,

Since 1 August we have a strange with one Machine Catalog in one specific cluster.

The strange part is that nothing has changed on this Machine Catalog (like snapshot etc.) since 24 july.

When a user starts up an Engineering desktop, sometimes the user get a black screen.

When the user disconnects from the Engineerings desktop, and tries to log in again on the same environment the following error in StoreFront occurred:

"Desktop %%% cannot be started"

So i looked into the logging of the Delivery Controller and checked the warnings. I see the following warning:

"The Citrix Broker Service failed to broker a connection for user 'XXXX' to resource 'XXXXX Engineers'. The virtual machine 'XXXXXXXX' rejected a request to prepare itself for a connection. This problem usually indicates that the virtual machine is engaged in an activity such as restarting, entering a suspended state, or processing a recent disconnection or logoff. 
If this problem persists, please restart the virtual machine."

The strange thing is, when i search for this VM, its not responding in XenCenter console, but:

- i can access the C$ share

- i can access the remote Event Viewer

- i can ping the VM

- i cannot use RDP, remote Windows Services, PSexec etc..

What we have tried:

- Restarted Delivery Controllers

- Restarted StoreFront servers

- Restarted Database server

- Checking the event viewer on the hung VM

- We have checked network connectivity in our monitoring

- Determine if it happens on one or more specific hosts in the cluster, but it happens on all of them. 

Details of our environment:

- XenDesktop 1811.1 controllers &  StoreFront 1811.1

- Issue is in our Windows 7 environment. VDA 7.15 LTSR CU3.

- The Machine Catalog with the issue is provisioned by MCS, non-persisntent desktop on XenServer 7.6.

- Receiver/Workspace clients of all kinds of versions. 

- Ivanti Workspace as profile manager.

We still haven't solved this issue. Any one has an idea?

Greetings,

Mark

DeliverycontrollerError.PNG

10 answers to this question

Update:

We found the issue and solved the problem!

The exact problem was:

- If a VM is running for more than 40 minutes, it becomes unresponsive.

- If a VM is running for more than 2 hours, it becomes responsive and works OK.

Between this time-period the Anti-Virus (BitDefender) was updating himself to a version which had a memory leak issue.

We fixed the issue by updating the base image with:

- Latest Windows Updates

- Latest version of BitDefender

Greetings,
Mark

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is just absolute coincidence, but I've just started seeing this in our environment (XenDesktop 7.17). It also started happening on Aug 1, and I can't figure out what's changed. All of a sudden users have come into the office unable to reconnect to their existing sessions that were fine reconnecting without any reboots the previous few weeks. I haven't heard of the compliant of black desktop, but we are seeing exactly the same Event log error messages in our Controllers when users are unable to connect - suggesting the VDA is refusing the connection

5 minutes ago, Justin Chan1709159214 said:

I'm not sure if this is just absolute coincidence, but I've just started seeing this in our environment (XenDesktop 7.17). It also started happening on Aug 1, and I can't figure out what's changed. All of a sudden users have come into the office unable to reconnect to their existing sessions that were fine reconnecting without any reboots the previous few weeks. I haven't heard of the compliant of black desktop, but we are seeing exactly the same Event log error messages in our Controllers when users are unable to connect - suggesting the VDA is refusing the connection

Hi Jchan60,

If i may ask; what anti-virus software do you use?

Greetings,

Mark

Hope the consultant can figure out what's going on.

From your original post our setup does not seem to have much in common - what hypervisor and Xendesktop versions are you running?

We have a mixed of software versions, and up until now I haven't been able to see any patterns as to what machine it's happening to - seems quite random.

* XenDesktop 7.17 controllers and StoreFront 3.1

* VDA 7.17 and 7.18 on Windows 10 1709, 1809

* VDI machines are manually provisioned, persistent desktops hosted on VMware 6.7 U3

* Receiver clients of all kinds of versions (4.9 LTSR, Workspace Apps 1903, Receiver for Linux 13.10, HTML5 2.6.1, Workspace Apps for Mac something)...

Hi Jchan60,

* XenDesktop 1811.1 controllers &  StoreFront 1811.1

* Issue is in our Windows 7 environment. VDA 7.15 LTSR CU3.

* The Machine Catalog with the issue is provisioned by MCS, non-persisntent desktop on XenServer 7.6.

* Also receiver clients of all kinds of versions. 

PS: we use Ivanti Workspace as profile manager.

Update:

The exact issue is:
When i log in with Citrix or RDP and the VM is running for more than 45 minutes, the screen is black and logging in takes about 35 minutes

After 35 minutes i am logged in and checked the logging, i see a gap of logging. Even Procmon stopped reporting.

I don't know what happens in that 35 minutes, and i cannot see it in logging because the logging stops :-(

Because i can reproduce the issue within RDP, it has nothing to do with Citrix.

Greetings,

Mark

EventViewer.PNG

ProcMon.PNG