Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Site, Monitoring and logging - How to put these Datastores into the same Database instance?

Bit-101

Question

Citrix best practise is to split these databases into when you install your first DDC.

-Site

-Monitoring

-Logging

I 've always done like that.

I´m using SQL Mirroring and Using Studio to Create Database Automatically.

But now my boss instead want to have these 3 split databases into 1 database called, let us say as an example, CitrixCorp02SiteGroup1 when I´m installing our new test environment.

See screenshot at the bottom of th

Maybe this is a stupid question but is this possible to create 1 database instance when I´m installing and Create Database Automatically for our first DDC for test, and just fill in like this when
provide database details:

Site: CitrixCorp02SiteGroup1 

Monitoring: CitrixCorp02SiteGroup1

Logging: CitrixCorp02SiteGroup1

..and still have the Site, Monitoring and Logging working as they where split into 3 database instances like Citrix Best Practices?

As an example - after I installing Citrix Director - can Director read the monitoring data? (I´ve Citrix platinum)

Here´s cut and paste example of what I´m refereing to:

Image1:

5d2d87da8a21c_Skrmklipp.thumb.JPG.38b4f28b4a2407eba4d14f9d51a082d4.JPG

I want to replace Site, Monitoring and Logging with SiteGroup1 (if it possible)

Image Source: from Carl Stalhood.

This is an example of the result I´m trying to accomplish:

Image2:

datastore_database.thumb.jpg.e2ccf13c113202833a7f83c7a9eb764f.jpg

Really appreciate your answer!

:)

7 answers to this question

If you look att Image2. That is an Image with cut and paste from our production enviroment. Then I change only the names so it its reflecting what I want to create.

In other word here´s the orginal image from Production DDC:

DataStore                           DatabaseName                                ServerAddress                                        MirrorAddress

Site                                       SQLprodSiteGroup1                       SQLProd1.corp.company.com              SQLProd2.corp.company.com

Logging                               SQLprodSiteGroup1                       SQLProd.corp.company.com                SQLProd2.corp.company.com

Monitoring                         SQLprodSiteGroup1                        SQLProd.corp.company.com               SQLProd2.corp.company.com

Then the logical question is - how can Production do it, but not in my test enviroment? (I´m working in the Development department)

Have they (Production department) done some special fix solution or what? (no person who has created this single instance database are left at Production Department at our company)

Really appreciate all possible answers!

:)

13 hours ago, Jim Grimm1709160134 said:

Good afternoon,

I don't believe it's possible to have these databases combined into one single database, primarily because they each contain unique datatypes that are specific to the function they serve.

If you take a look att this example from JGSPEIERS. https://www.jgspiers.com/moving-logging-monitoring-database/

Here he is using one database for Site, Logging and Monitoring from the start. But in this example he shows how to split these databases. 

So, from the beginning the Site, Logging and Monitoring is in the same database instance? Please look at the yellow marked text on the screenshot

-I´m I right or wrong?

-I´m sure someone know the answer on my question, please share your knowledge or ask me for a better explaniation of what I want to accomplish.

:0)

jgspiers.thumb.JPG.9388ffc1beecffb1b093201a44f8807c.JPG

15 hours ago, Jim Grimm1709160134 said:

I don't believe it's possible to have these databases combined into one single database, primarily because they each contain unique datatypes that are specific to the function they serve.

I feel silly having confused a database and a table in a database....should have thought about that one a little more before I posted.

Thanks!

I´m just creating a complete new fresh Test Enviroment and installing of DDC:s, Director.s, SF.s, Netscaler and so on..and not using existing datbase.

The only problem is that I must create only one database instance so Production Department later can test in that Test Enivorment how the splitting affects

the Production Enviroment.

15 minutes ago, Jim Grimm1709160134 said:

I feel silly having confused a database and a table in a database....should have thought about that one a little more before I posted

I understand if my question is a little stupid too.

:0)