Welcome to our new Citrix community!

1906 clean install error

Rogier Hoek

Question

When installing Storefront with the 1906 ISO > autoselect the installation will fail continuously.

Tried:

- New install on fully patched Server 2019 (no AV installed etc)

- Upgrade from 3.16 to 3.19 Storefront with autoselect or loose Storefront installer

When installing or upgrading to the 1903 version, it works perfectly in upgrade or clean installation.

Anyone else seeing issues with the 1906 autoselect?

When installing the loose Storefront executable it will install on a new server (2019) but

i don't see any Storefront in programs and features and when trying to Create Deployment it will fail on Add-STFConfigurationApi

All logs in C:\Windows\Temp\StoreFront dont show any smoking gun..

autoselect_1906.jpgconsole_log.thumb.jpg.03f3779f5abb708124e38036bfc902b2.jpg

loose_installer_storefront1906.jpg

Hi,

I have some news on the issue.

Created a new VM completely clean with newest 2019 1809 iso. (vmware 6.5u13)

Tested:

1)

Loose installer SF. build 1906.2.34

Installs correctly, can start console, but install not visible in Apps&Features.

2)

Autoselect cvad 1906.2

Fails with install same issue

•  Uninstalling VMware tools (10.3.5.10430147) on VM >Reboot > Running Autoselect cvad again > Installs correctly and shows correct versions in Apps&features!

Tried same trick on my SF test environment (Windows Server 2019 1809 full patched) , removed vmware tools and upgraded by autoselect cvad installer and that went good.

Also every machine was clean rebooted in every test.

Afterwards installed vmware tools no issues with propagate.

Conclusion:

VMtools seems to break the Storefront installer...

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Kari Ruissalo said:

I have now uninstalled the CVAD 1901.1 and cleared the StoreFront configuration according to this article, but if I now try running SF 1903 installer, it gives me this error:

image.png

I tried to remove the CVAD installation from Programs and Features, but it just stated that nothing has been installed and a reboot is pending. After reboot I'm still seeing StoreFront console in start menu. I have also removed the Web Server role from the server and it still gives me this error.

This really bums me out, since these servers have been deployed by a 3rd party administrator for the 3rd time already.

Any tips on clearing the StoreFront configuration are welcome.

Unfortunately once it is in this state your best option is just to deploy a new machine.  I have yet to be able to get it clean enough that it didn't provide issues on other items, and it is quicker to just start from scratch.

I do recommend getting the 11.01 vmware tools on a clean build.  It will keep any of these type issues from happening again.

• Like 1

The ExitCode/MSIReturnCode from the log file screenshot you attached indicates that a reboot is required to complete the installation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/error-codes

ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED                                                  3010                                        A restart is required to complete the install. This message is indicative of a success. This does not include installs where the ForceReboot action is run.

Have you tried rebooting and then running the installer again?

Minor update: While I am waiting for the 1906 ISO to download, I did download the loose executable for Storefront (3.19.0.31) and was able to get it installed and past the point where your deployment failed.  I just noticed though, that I did this on a Server 2016 and not Server 2019.  I'll have to loop back and spin up a Server 2019 VM and try this again once the ISO for 1906 finishes downloading so that I am testing as close to what you are running.

Might take a little bit, but I will get another update out before the end of the day.

Same issue here.  I deployed from a template of 2019 from a few months ago and the same issue.

storefront wasn't showing up in add remove programs after install either.  couldn't create a new farm or add to an existing one.

Also wasn't able to upgrade an existing install.  

Had to roll out a 2016 image to install the 1906 version.  Then I was able to join an existing lower level storefront.

Hi Guys

2019 is a supported platform and is expected to work.  I have tested successfully on 2019 many times.  

I am keen to assist you if I can.  I suspect that the 1906 known issues with Upgrade/Uninstall documented here are the cause of your problems.  I assisted other customers on this thread about this issue.  https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/403611-1906-upgrade-error/.

The issues mentioned have been rectified with a replacement build that can be downloaded from citrix.com here https://www.citrix.com/downloads/storefront/product-software/storefront-1906.html.  My recommendation is to revert to a clean backup snapshot and try installation/upgrade again after replacing build 27 of STF with build 31 on the CVAD layout/iso. 

There is also a new version of the CVAD 1906 layout/iso expected very soon containing the StoreFront fix build so please keep an eye on citrix.com.  I will also post when it is generally available.  

Please keep in touch and let me know whether you succeed in deploying 1906 with the fix build and if you have further issues please contact me here.  I will have a conference call with you to debug if necessary.

Customer Quality Engineer (CQE), Citrix Workspace Platform/On Prem StoreFront

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

I just tried again.

Extracted the iso and replaced the CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe in the folder with the build 1906.1.0.31 variant.

Run the Autoselect.exe upgrade and fails at the end of the installation.

Server is clean and still install errors :( 1903 works fine..

New freshly deployed 2019 image and patched will all updates, problem still exists.

Event error 1 

New Server Deployment
An error occurred running the command: 'Set-DSNewClusterEnvironment' 
An error occurred while adding the StoreFront configuration API. Exception of type 'Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Web.Deployment.Exceptions.AspNetNotAvailableException' was thrown.
At C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Management\Cmdlets\ClusterConfigurationModule.psm1:1290 char:9
+         Add-STFConfigurationApi
+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An error occurred while adding the StoreFront configuration API. Exception of type 'Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Web.Deployment.Exceptions.AspNetNotAvailableException' was thrown.

Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.RunnerInterfaces.Exceptions.PowerShellExecutionException: An error occurred running the command: 'Set-DSNewClusterEnvironment' 
At C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Management\Cmdlets\ClusterConfigurationModule.psm1:1290 char:9
+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ---> System.Management.Automation.ActionPreferenceStopException: The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: An error occurred while adding the StoreFront configuration API. Exception of type 'Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Web.Deployment.Exceptions.AspNetNotAvailableException' was thrown.
   at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner.PowerShellCommandRunner.InvokeCommand(IPowerShellCommand command, Command powerShellCommand)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner.PowerShellCommandRunner.RunCommand(IPowerShellCommand command)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner.PowerShellCommandRunner.RunCommand(IPowerShellCommand command)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Admin.FirstTimeConfiguration.Common.DeploymentSteps.DeploymentBase.Deploy()
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Admin.FirstTimeConfiguration.ScopeNode.Wizard.Models.FTUWizardCreatingViewModel.CreateDeployment()

Event error 2

A PowerShell SDK execution error occurred.

Cmdlet name: Add-STFConfigurationApi

Parameters:

Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Web.Deployment.Exceptions.AspNetNotAvailableException: Exception of type 'Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Web.Deployment.Exceptions.AspNetNotAvailableException' was thrown.
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Web.Feature.Web.WebApplicationInstance.Deploy(IFeatureInstance parent, InstanceProperties data, Boolean isUpgrade)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Abstractions.FrameworkControllerBase.DeployInstance(IFeatureInstance parent, InstanceProperties data, IFeatureInstance instance, Boolean isUpgrade)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Abstractions.FrameworkControllerBase.CreateInstance(FeatureClass featureClass, IFeatureInstance parent, InstanceProperties data, Guid id, Boolean isUpgrade)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Abstractions.FrameworkControllerBase.CreateInstance(FeatureClass featureClass, IFeatureInstance parent, InstanceProperties data, Guid id)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Feature.AddFeature.CreateInstance(IFrameworkController frameworkController, FeatureClass featureClass, IFeatureInstance parent, Dictionary`2 data, Dictionary`2 readOnly, ReadOnlyDictionary`2 paramList, Guid requiredInstanceId, Guid tenantId, String cmdlet, String snapIn)
   at Citrix.StoreFront.ConfigurationManager.Deployment.InstallBase.CreateInstance(FeatureClass featureClass, IFeatureInstance parent, Dictionary`2 data, Dictionary`2 readOnly, Dictionary`2 parameters, Guid requiredInstanceId)
   at Citrix.StoreFront.ConfigurationManager.Deployment.InstallWebApplicationBase.Add(String virtualPath, String defaultDocuments, String applicationPool, Int64 siteId, String eventSource)
   at Citrix.StoreFront.ConfigurationApi.ConfigurationApiInstaller.AddConfigurationApi()
   at Citrix.StoreFront.ConfigurationApi.Cmdlets.AddConfigurationApi.ProcessRecord()

Event error 3

Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.RunnerInterfaces.Exceptions.PowerShellExecutionException, Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.RunnerInterfaces, Version=3.20.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e8b77d454fa2a856

System.Management.Automation.ActionPreferenceStopException, System.Management.Automation, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: An error occurred while adding the StoreFront configuration API. Exception of type 'Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Web.Deployment.Exceptions.AspNetNotAvailableException' was thrown.
System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.InterpretedFrameInfo: System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.InterpretedFrameInfo[]
   at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
   at Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner.PowerShellCommandRunner.InvokeCommand(IPowerShellCommand command, Command powerShellCommand)

Edited by jriechers
Additional error messages

Hi Rogier

I am sorry to hear that you and others are still experiencing upgrade issues despite the updated release.  I am going to try and repro this issue on a clean patched 2019 server in our test lab.  I am also going to take the logs you have provided above and add them to an internal bug for our Developers to investigate.   I may request a conference call with you later if that is ok?  We will try and investigate this further ourselves first before requesting a call and will respond if we can successfully reproduce the issue.  

Please can you also attach the MSI logs after install or upgrade failure which are located in C:\windows\temp\StoreFront.  Please zip them up as a bundle and attach to this thread.

Thanks

Mark

I did some more testing on this last week.

New install with 1906.2 does not work on either a clean or patched 2019 install.

Upgrading 1903 to 1906.2 on a 2019 machine appears to work correctly.  However, if you go add remove programs it will still list the 1903 build as installed, and attempting to remove it will generate -1 errors.

I currently have a case open with Citrix.  Looks like a bug.

Hi Rogier

Working to the assumption that your version of Server 2019 is more up to date than mine and to investigate whether windows updates are the cause of your issues, I upgraded the .Net version to 4.8 and ran windows updates to install the cumulative update for Server 2019 1809 then snap shotted my VM.

My windows 2019 version is now 17763.720.

I was able to do all of the following successfully during my investigation.

• Installed the STF and DDC 1903 versions using the CVAD 1903 metainstaller onto a clean snapshot.
  • Upgraded the STF and DDC to 1906 versions using the CVAD 1906 metainstaller
  • Running the 1906 CVAD metainstaller failed initially prompting me to reboot.
  • Rebooted the VM.
  • Upgraded the STF and DDC 1909 versions using the CVAD 1909 metainstaller

Every time we have seen a failure to upgrade or uninstall, the MSI logs indicate a need to restart the VM but I am unable to reproduce your failures and always see the Citrix components and correct version in add/remove programs.

If you want to export the config of your working 1903 deployment and re import it into a clean VM without any traces of the CVAD metainstaller then here is how to do it via PowerShell.

# Run on exporting 1903 deployment to obtain a full backup of the configuration
Export-STFConfiguration -TargetFolder "$env:userprofile\desktop\" -ZipFileName "Backup" -NoEncryption
# Copy backup.zip file to a clean installation of 1903 using ONLY StoreFront metainstaller
# Install StoreFront but do not run the MMC configuration wizard and close the admin console

# Run Powershell ISE as Admin

Import-STFConfiguration -configurationZip "$env:userprofile\desktop\Backup.zip" -HostBaseUrl "https://storefrontserver.example.com"

# Upgrade to 1906 if required

# Install just STF 1906 using the StoreFront metainstaller on other servers you wish to add to your server group

# Add more servers to the server group using the admin console and they will all be on the same version (1906)

Regards Mark

Windows Version.jpg