Welcome to our new Citrix community!

1906 upgrade error

Kyle Peterson

When upgrading from storefront 1903 to 1906 I always get the following error

system.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Install.Exceptions.TemplateFileCopyException: File 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\XenDesktop\bin\Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll' already exists (attempted to copy from 'C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Features\DazzleResources\template\bin\Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll') ---> Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Install.Exceptions.FileOverwriteException: File 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\XenDesktop\bin\Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll' already exists (attempted to copy from 'C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Features\DazzleResources\template\bin\Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll')

This is a new one to me, as always I stop all storefront services and IIS, anyone else see this? 

I have already rolled the server back again, I would have to attempt another upgrade to collect the logs via scout.

I already created a case and the logs are uploaded. Case #78993745

I even deleted the Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll file and re-ran the upgrade and the same exact error showed up.

I have no idea on it. From the log it seems that you probably ran the storefront metainstaller and not the xendesktop metainstaller. Though it should not matter but nevertheless you should also have got an error dialog pointing you to a link ( NOT the CTX article link in your support case but a link to the product documentation) to troubleshoot.  Did you try those steps in the troubleshoot link/doc from the error dialog? 

I've got the exact same  problem with a open support case 78993013. So far Support keeps talking about a rip and replace of my storefront servers. Obviously not my first choice of a solution (not even my 10th, if I can help it). Is this problem only seen on Windows 2019 or is it appearing on older versions?

53 minutes ago, William Reading said:

I've got the exact same  problem with a open support case 78993013. So far Support keeps talking about a rip and replace of my storefront servers. Obviously not my first choice of a solution (not even my 10th, if I can help it). Is this problem only seen on Windows 2019 or is it appearing on older versions?

I have Windows 2012 R2

I'm on server 2016, Citrix wanted me to build a new server as well so I had the case closed and I am skipping the 1906 release.

It looks like 1906 only installs a fresh install so that is a bit of a joke.

By the way the 1906 vda alos causes random disconnects for us so we rolled that back to 1903 as well.

Same issue here with Storefront 1906.  Same error.  I have a similar setup to yours - Windows Server 2012 R2 and currently running version 1811.  I got around this error by writing a batch file to repeatedly delete the file during the upgrade.  I suspect someone redundantly wrote the file copy job for this file which causes the upgrade to fail when it tries to copy the file again after it already copied it.  Deleting the file from the destination during the upgrade allows it to copy it again.  Since this deletes it, I then had to go copy it from the source directory after the upgrade in order to make sure the file existed where it needs to.  This ultimately led to a successful upgrade.  My batch file contents:

REM filename=delbadfile.bat

@echo off
del c:\inetpub\wwwroot\citrix\store\bin\Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll
TIMEOUT 1
.\delbadfile.bat

Once the upgrade completes, I terminated the batch file and continued with the site upgrade.  So far, so good.

Hi Guys

I am very concerned by the quantity of upgrade failures being reported for the 1906 release and want to assist.  Can I ask you guys to provide me with the following info for each of your open cases?  I will be monitoring this thread from tomorrow and will try and repro the problem myself in our lab after I have read each of your posts in detail.  

Upgrade performed from which versions --> 1906?  
How was the upgrade performed?
StoreFront metainstaller used 
OR
CVAD layout used?  Conjoined installation with both DDC and StoreFront on the same server?

The 2 upgrade scenarios are totally different cases and it is essential I know which of the 2 is causing a problem so I can investigate this for you.  Upgrading using just the StoreFront metainstaller is more likely to yield logs that indicate a cause of the problem.  

2 hours ago, Mark Dear said:

Hi Guys

I am very concerned by the quantity of upgrade failures being reported for the 1906 release and want to assist.  Can I ask you guys to provide me with the following info for each of your open cases?  I will be monitoring this thread from tomorrow and will try and repro the problem myself in our lab after I have read each of your posts in detail.  

OR
CVAD layout used?  Conjoined installation with both DDC and StoreFront on the same server?

The 2 upgrade scenarios are totally different cases and it is essential I know which of the 2 is causing a problem so I can investigate this for you.  Upgrading using just the StoreFront metainstaller is more likely to yield logs that indicate a cause of the problem.  

Thanks for investigation of the issue!

We did an upgrade from 1903 to 1906 on a dedicated SF server (no other Citrix roles) running Server 2019.

The upgrade was performed through the metainstaller launched from the 1906 ISO. That’s where we faced the issue.

We didn’t have the issue on two other SF in the same Citrix site but separate Storefront server group, running on Server 2016. However the issue doesn’t seem to be OS version related according to this thread.

Just to clarify: What do you mean by „CVAD layout“ method? I never heard this term.

3 hours ago, Mark Dear said:

Hi Guys

OR

Thanks for looking into this.  

I was upgrading from version 1811 to 1906

I first tried the upgrade with the CVAD layout and when it failed I restored from snapshot and tried with the metainstaller.  Same result.  I then read through the MSI log, saw the issue and wrote the batch file I described earlier, ran the batch file and then re-ran the CVAD layout upgrader.  It ran successfully and I replaced the one file that my batch file was repeatedly deleting.  It's running fine today with 1906.  This was a conjoined installation with DDC and StoreFront on the same server.  If you would like my MSI logs let me know and I will upload them but the original poster's copy/paste is the only exception thrown.

15 hours ago, Rene Bigler said:

Just to clarify: What do you mean by „CVAD layout“ method? I never heard this term.

CVAD is just the rebranded name for XAXD 7.x.  Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops.  We are still getting used to the new names internally in Citrix as well :).  When I referred to the layout I was just talking about the CVAD ISO which contains the CVAD and StoreFront metainstallers all bundled up together.  Apologies for any confusion this may have caused. 

20 minutes ago, Mark Dear said:

CVAD is just the rebranded name for XAXD 7.x.  Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops.  We are still getting used to the new names internally in Citrix as well :).  When I referred to the layout I was just talking about the CVAD ISO which contains the CVAD and StoreFront metainstallers all bundled up together.  Apologies for any confusion this may have caused. 

I was more asking about „layout method“, CVAD is clear to me ;)

I suppose you mean the different methods of running the upgrade by executing the single Storefront MSI vs. launching the upgrade through the wizard of the full product ISO, correct?

1 minute ago, Nick Casagrande1709152718 said:

Following.  I can say vda 1903 on w10 1809 was horrible!  Opened a support case, waiting to hear back on that.  

Please address a single topic at a time on this thread rather than raising unrelated issues here.  Issues with vda 1903 on w10 1809 is a separate issue and not related to the current issue being discussed here.  I work for the Citrix Workspace Cloud team but also handle some aspects of the on prem StoreFront releases and I am trying to assist with issues related to STF upgrade.  We have a number of engineers looking into this issue now and I am in the process of reproducing it myself.  Unfortunately, I cannot assist you with any VDA related issues as I do not work in this area.  Please liaise with Citrix Support regarding those issues on whatever other threads or support cases you have open or please open another discussion regarding any VDA issues you have encountered.

Regards Mark  

I can confirm the 1903 to 1906 StoreFront upgrade using just the CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe works as expected.  Both the 1903 pre upgrade and 1906 post upgrade installations did not involve using the CVAD iso.  We are also now going to repro the problem using the ISO with both components installed and will post our findings shortly.

16 hours ago, Kyle Peterson said:

I was running the standalone exe on server 2016 on a dedicated storefront server.

You are saying that works as expected?

Yes my upgrade was successful and the repro I did was also on 2016.  Rest assured we are still continuing to look into this issue.  Was a DDC present on the same server as the StoreFront during the upgrade?  I tried just a StoreFront installation.  I am now attempting repro with both components.

Here are the results of my findings.  

Repro steps for CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe Upgrade
Install 1903 on a 2016 server using only 1903 CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe
Search for Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll
Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll NOT present on the server disk anywhere
Upgrade to 1906 using only 1906 CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe
Succeeds with no errors.  StoreFront is functional after upgrade
Search for Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll after upgrade
Found in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\citrix_store\deeea604\804765a9\assembly\dl3\16f83135\5c5b3b9f_1125d501
Found in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\citrix_store2\97301630\75589114\assembly\dl3\48ed2253\5c5b3b9f_1125d501
1 copy of the dll for each Store

Repro steps for CVAD Upgrade
Install 1903 STF and DDC on a 2016 server using 1903 CVAD layout
Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll not present
Do not enable Smart Tools
Configure the StoreFront and XD site using Studio.
Upgrade to 1906 using only 1906 CVAD installer.
Succeeds with no errors. 

I am not able to repro the problem myself as my test VMs all lack a copy of the Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll on them before upgrade.  
My colleague in Dublin has been able to successfully repro the issue and it fails exactly the same way as described here.  Other customers have also reported the issue via different channels.  My colleague in Dublin upgraded his server sequentially through all of the releases and has found some evidence that the Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll was added by a 3.12 release back in 2017.
Success or failure depends on whether the Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll already exists on the server before upgrade but the question I need to answer is how did it get there?  This dll was introduced in 1906 as part of Citrix Analytics Service Integration so on prem STF can upload data to Citrix Cloud so shouldnt be present on any version that predates 1906.  Obviously that is not the case in your customer environments.  

Please could those affected respond to indicate whether you have ever installed 3.12 during the server's upgrade history and if so which CUs?  I would assume you have installed all of them over time as part of a sequential upgrade path.

I am going to attempt the same process using a 3.12 LTSR build.

Thanks for your patience and inputs so far
Regards Mark

Successfull 1903 to 1906 Upgrade using CVAD.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark Dear said:

Here are the results of my findings.  

Repro steps for CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe Upgrade
Install 1903 on a 2016 server using only 1903 CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe
Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll NOT present on the server disk anywhere
Upgrade to 1906 using only 1906 CitrixStoreFront-x64.exe
Succeeds with no errors.  StoreFront is functional after upgrade
Search for Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll after upgrade
Found in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\citrix_store\deeea604\804765a9\assembly\dl3\16f83135\5c5b3b9f_1125d501
Found in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\citrix_store2\97301630\75589114\assembly\dl3\48ed2253\5c5b3b9f_1125d501
1 copy of the dll for each Store

Repro steps for CVAD Upgrade
Install 1903 STF and DDC on a 2016 server using 1903 CVAD layout
Do not enable Smart Tools
Configure the StoreFront and XD site using Studio.
Upgrade to 1906 using only 1906 CVAD installer.
Succeeds with no errors. 

I am not able to repro the problem myself as my test VMs all lack a copy of the Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll on them before upgrade.  
My colleague in Dublin has been able to successfully repro the issue and it fails exactly the same way as described here.  Other customers have also reported the issue via different channels.  My colleague in Dublin upgraded his server sequentially through all of the releases and has found some evidence that the Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll was added by a 3.12 release back in 2017.
Success or failure depends on whether the Citrix.DeliveryServices.CloudUtilities.CloudHttpClients.dll already exists on the server before upgrade but the question I need to answer is how did it get there?  This dll was introduced in 1906 as part of Citrix Analytics Service Integration so on prem STF can upload data to Citrix Cloud so shouldnt be present on any version that predates 1906.  Obviously that is not the case in your customer environments.  

Please could those affected respond to indicate whether you have ever installed 3.12 during the server's upgrade history and if so which CUs?  I would assume you have installed all of them over time as part of a sequential upgrade path.

I am going to attempt the same process using a 3.12 LTSR build.

Thanks for your patience and inputs so far
Regards Mark

Successfull 1903 to 1906 Upgrade using CVAD.jpg

Our DDC/StoreFront installation on these particular servers began with 7.7 and were upgraded in-place to the following versions, in this order:  7.8, 7.9, 7.11, 7.12, 7.13, 7.15, 7.16, 7.17, 7.18, 1811, 1906.  I would assume we picked up StoreFront 3.12 in 7.15 since that appears to be where it was initially released.