Welcome to our new Citrix community!

After upgrading 7.15 LTSR CU1 to 1906 opening Adobe Reader DC produces a pop-up error "Werfault.exe" (0x0000142)

Andy Vanderbeken

Question

Please find the below steps followed during call to resolve the issue:

Note:

a) Always be cautious, when changing the registry! Please.

b) The problem has been seen after upgrades to 1811, 1903, 1906. 

c) The workaround has been implemented with success in those releases.

Steps:

1) Open RegEdit on the VDA

2) Browse to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\CtxUvi

3) Find UviProcessExcludes on the right panel

4) Edit Settings for UviProcessExcludes

5) Add AcroCEF.exe; RdrCEF.exe at the end of the Value Data String.

6)Reboot the VDA (Please note, reboot is required)

7) Test opening a PDF.

Greetings
Pertsa

• Like 9

I have done additional testing and found the above registry key works if you make the value as follows: AcroRd32.exe;AcroCEF.exe;RdrCEF.exe. Order does not matter.

From Perl's post:

Steps:

5) Add AcroCEF.exe; RdrCEF.exe;AcroRd32.exe at the end of the Value Data String.

7) Test opening a PDF.

I do have 1912 CU1 on Windows 2012 R2.

• Like 1

The mentioned solution worked for us (problem occurred after upgrading from XA7.15.5 to 1912.1)

Maybe it's not important but the solution only worked after placing the settings in question AT THE END of the string, before that these were in the middle and didn't worked:

So 

1) add these at the end : AcroCEF.exe;RdrCEF.exe

2) make sure there are NO spaces between both entries, only semicolon - ;

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Shalini Pradhan said:

Do you have any anti-virus on the VDA? Please check if you have Citrix recommended anti-virus exclusions for VDA in place. See below doc for reference

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/tech-zone/build/tech-papers/antivirus-best-practices.html

hey Shalinipr,

Thx for helping. I have just tested again after disabling the antivirus agent completely and the behaviour stays.

I have also tested again by starting acroRd32.exe by using "run as administrator" and the error stays as well.

Finally I have also tested again from the console of the server using an account with local administrator privileges and the error does NOT occur.

So it looks like it's not related to antivirus, nor to privileges but purely to the VDA component itself. Console is fine, Citrix session not.

This makes sense I guess since the VDA agent upgrade is the only change that happened to break this functionality.

1 minute ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hi,

I have just tested Adobe Reader DC v18.011.20055 on a Windows Server 2016 with VDA v1906 no problem launching. I have tested with an admin user and a non-admin user.

Which OS are you running? And which version of Adobe Reader?

Windows Server 2012 R2 (version 6.3 build 9600)

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 19.012.20035

We have the same issue on several images after upgrading from VDA 1802.2 to VDA 1903 - I haven't tested with VDA 1906.

I have only seen it on Windows Server 2012 R2 and with newer versions of Adobe Reader DC. If I roll back adobe to older versions, the error disappears.

The error seems to revolve around this executable "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroCEF\RdrCEF.exe". I can fix it by setting compatibility mode for it, but this seems like a bad solution

3 hours ago, Martin Nygaard Jensen1709157097 said:

We have the same issue on several images after upgrading from VDA 1802.2 to VDA 1903 - I haven't tested with VDA 1906.

I have only seen it on Windows Server 2012 R2 and with newer versions of Adobe Reader DC. If I roll back adobe to older versions, the error disappears.

The error seems to revolve around this executable "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroCEF\RdrCEF.exe". I can fix it by setting compatibility mode for it, but this seems like a bad solution

that's actually a nice find @mnygaar714. Thx for sharing that. I can confirm it works here as well after setting "compatibility mode for Windows 8" under "change settings for all users"

I can use this as a quick and dirty workaround but still it needs a more permanent fix.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, Per Lorentzen said:

Note:

Steps:

7) Test opening a PDF.

Greetings
Pertsa

thanks for sharing this solution back into this thread since it notifies me. I appreciate it. After implementing this into my golden image I can confirm it fixes the problem for me and supersedes the other workaround  I had been using successfully until now (setting compatibility mode for Windows 7 for all users on the RdrCEF.exe)

ps: I agree with that this took Citrix too long to handle in general but that's not your fault in particular ;)

On 9/11/2019 at 1:23 AM, Per Lorentzen said:

Note:

Steps:

7) Test opening a PDF.

Greetings
Pertsa

I just tried your fix in my environment and it is working great. Thanks for sharing.

How did you come to this answer? I am unfamiliar with that registry key and what it does. I'm curious when I might use this registry setting in the future.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:23 AM, Per Lorentzen said:

Note:

Steps:

7) Test opening a PDF.

Greetings
Pertsa

In addition to this, I had to update the Microsoft Visual C++ library to the latest version:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Until I was able to do this, setting compatibility mode to Windows 7 on RdrCEF.exe worked as a temporary workaround.

Thank you!

I have the same problem after upgrading from 7.15 to 1912.

I have applied the registry fix mentioned in this thread but after I reboot the server it then removes the 2 entries that I just added (AcroCEF.exe; RdrCEF.exe)  for UviProcessExcludes. What is overriding this entry? I don't think there is any gpo settings. I also tried creating a gpo to set this registry value but it is not adding AcroCEF.exe; RdrCEF.exe to the registry.

---------------------

I just noticed my co-worker had recently created a new gpo for MSEdge that sets UviProcessExcludes registry value. This gpo was overriding my changes. I've corrected that issue and now the registry is updating correctly after a reboot but I am still getting the original error, Werfault.exe. I am running Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 2020.012.20042 on a MS Windows 2012 R2 server.

---------------------

My fix was to add ArcoRD32.exe. Issue resolved.

Edited by m7hahn
I've added my fix