Updated Privacy Statement

Desktop Session Graphic Rendering Issue

Peter Alford

Question

Hi,

- Multiple windows server 2016

- Running  VDA 1811.1

- Mac computers (multiple OS versions and receiver versions)

- Multiple users

When they are using excel 2019 there are graphic rendering issues that pop up more and more when using the document. See attached (ignoring the RED scribble as it was private information). The same documents from the same user account on a windows machine doesn't occur. It can then even occur on top of outlook afterwards.  

Excel Document

image.thumb.png.38348310a7853753afe738b103794fa0.png

Outlook (bottom part of an email signature)

image.thumb.png.66b510afb32d22cdb0979ce3d683d1b6.png

17 answers to this question

Citrix gave me a registry workaround that seemed to be effective for the Excel 2019 graphics glitches: HKLM\Software\Citrix\Graphics\SimpleEncoder=1. The glitches appeared to be fixed (without the workaround) as of VDA 2003. I'm on 2006 now. I don't know if it's been fixed in VDA 1912 LTSR CU1...

• Like 1

Hi,

Some further information.

Mac connecting directly - Problem Occurs

Mac running Parallels with Windows - Problem Occurs

Mac running Boot Camp with Windows - Problem Occurs

Mac running VMware Fusion with Windows - No Problem

So I think it's something to do with the VDA and the driver used on the Mac. 

On 6/13/2019 at 5:54 AM, Peter Alford said:

Hi,

- Multiple windows server 2016

- Running  VDA 1811.1

- Mac computers (multiple OS versions and receiver versions)

- Multiple users

When they are using excel 2019 there are graphic rendering issues that pop up more and more when using the document. See attached (ignoring the RED scribble as it was private information). The same documents from the same user account on a windows machine doesn't occur. It can then even occur on top of outlook afterwards.  

Excel Document

image.thumb.png.38348310a7853753afe738b103794fa0.png

Outlook (bottom part of an email signature)

image.thumb.png.66b510afb32d22cdb0979ce3d683d1b6.png

• Please check the appearance of desktop that it choose the best resolution to fits in the window.
  • On the toolbar, click Preferences and on the Display tab, select Best resolution.
  • Also you can choose the appearance of desktop in Scale to Fit.
  • On the toolbar, click Preferences and on the Display tab, select Scale to fit. If the virtual desktop resolution does not match your local desktop and after clicking Scale to fit, the shape of the Desktop Viewer window is fixed.
  • Also there’s an option for the Actual Size.
  • On the toolbar, click Preferences and on the Display tab select Actual size.

Regards,

Citrix Xendesktop VDI Administrator

Hi,

Thanks for the response. 

There doesn't appear to be any display options on the Mac workspaces app (latest version - 1903.1). 

image.thumb.png.4044b7c0b7542b13694d4ac7e8eefc46.png

We did some additional testing of the display settings (Mac System Preferences).

The settings below seems to dependent of the type of Display used.

Using my external Dell U3415W screen I have the following options:

Default for Display or

Scaled (3440 x 1440)

Scaled (2560 x 1080)

I experience the problem in all three cases.

If I use the built-in screen (MacBook Pro 13", 2018 edition)

I have the following options:

Default or

Scaled: 1280 x 800, 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050

In all three cases I can reproduce the issue.

The odd thing is if we connect to our previous environment (apart of the same Citrix Site) that runs Server 2012 R2 and VDA 7.16 the issue does not occur from the same Mac + many other Macs on the same documents. 

Hello,

Same issue with mac endpoints here.

Tested with Windows server 2016 with vda version 1811 and 1903.1 with office 2016. Once the corruption of the document starts it gets worse and worse while navigating and editing the document until the whole sheet is messed up and unreadable. When discconnecting from the session while the issue is present in the document on a mac client and reconnecting from a windows client to the same session the corruption is gone and cannot be replicated while connected from the windows client. Reconnecting to the session from the mac client again slowly brings the corruption back while navigating the excel sheet. 

Clearing the sheet for any formatting clears the corruption and it won't slowly return until styleing is applied again to the sheet on a mac client. I haven't had time to test what formatting is causeing it (there's alot of formatting).

This seems like a citrix issue since theres no problems with the documents when connected from a windows client.

image.thumb.png.192ba8c6426981e8d653eb223dc1d15d.png

We are also experiencing this issue with VDA 1906.2 also tried 1909 installation but this wouldn't bother.

When I connect to the citrix desktop  I open Outlook and I type just plain text in a new mail and remove it again after few times i get also some black blocks appearing.

This is not only office this seems to happen for all applications.

Did anyone find a solution so far ?

On 3/19/2020 at 6:21 PM, Gareth Coggan said:

Any update on this one? I'm having the exact same issue as ezdzcho952 with my home PC with NVIDIA graphics card.

After upgrading to the 445.75 drivers today, the nvidia graphics issue appears to be gone. On the earlier version, even the latest Workspace App 202 didn't fix it.

edit: seemingly after running this all day, I noticed that several of my games stopped working after the nvidia driver update. I rolled back as playing Just Cause after hours is more important than some exploding graphics in my session.

On 3/19/2020 at 6:21 PM, Gareth Coggan said:

Any update on this one? I'm having the exact same issue as ezdzcho952 with my home PC with NVIDIA graphics card.

446.14 of the nVidia drivers resolved both problems for me -- the graphics blowing up in a session as well as games built on the same Avalanche Game Engine using Screen Space Reflections.

not sure if this has any relevance to the OP though, the issues seemed similar in the beginning.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but.... we have this exact issue with Office 365 native apps on our Windows 10 VDI environment. We've tried multiple builds of Windows 10 (including the latest 21H2) and it affects quite a few of our clients/users, running on the following:

• Windows 10 with Receiver
  • Windows 10 with Workspace
  • Windows 7 with Receiver
  • Mac OS with Receiver
  • Mac OS with Workspace

We upgraded recently to 1912 LTSR CU4 (including the VDA) to try and resolve it but still no good. If it helps, we're running Nvidia GPUs in our VDI hosts.

EDIT: Oh, and it affects session via the NetScaler and direct-to-StoreFront internal ones.

Edited by IT Dept
More info added