Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows 10 Start Menu breaks when VDA upgraded

Mike_B

Question

This is a strange one - I have a Windows 10 (1709) image which has been working well for a while now.   However, when I upgraded the VDA in the master image to either 1811 or 1903, the Start Menu breaks - just does nothing when I click it.   If I uninstall the later VDAs and put 7.15 CU3 back on it, the menu comes back to life.   This is consistent and repeatable (no other changes made to the image) so it's definitely the VDA version causing it, as I can log in to the master image with both a local admin and a domain admin account, and both are the same.

I've looked around and seen something about UPM causing this, but we're not using UPM (we have FSLogix to roam profiles), although it is installed.   I've tried adding the suggested exclusions to the UPM policy file but it made no difference.

There must be something simple I'm missing here...   Anyone have any ideas?

8 answers to this question

We are seeing the same issue in our environment and I have raised a case with support but have not got a resolution yet.  One thing I did notice is that we are using a custom start menu which is being set by GPO.  If I set a user not to apply the custom start menu I am able to access the start menu with no issues.  If I get an answer on this from support I will let you know.

Interesting - same here with the custom start menu.    Users can drop their own icons onto a section of it, but essentially everyone gets the same basic start menu from a template with certain icons permanently set.

Interesting - we have AppSense here as well.   We don't use Personalization (at least not on the Win10 catalogs) but it's installed for Environment Manager policy settings.

Our custom Start Menu is quite straightforward, just pins the Office icons, Chrome icon etc.   Not doing anything particularly clever with it.

18 hours ago, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

Hi - just wondering if you got an answer from Ivanti about this yet?    If so, are you be able to share it?

Yes.  See this thread here for the solution.  The issue is with the key ShellExperienceHost.exe under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\CtxHook\AppInit_Dlls\UWPBridgeHook.

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/402109-appsense-published-image-windows-10-start-menu-issue/?page=2&source=notifications#comment-2043185