Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Strange Published App Behavior in Remote Desktop

Matt Meserve

Question

I'm running Citrix 7.18 on Server 2016. I have two delivery groups (Remote Desktop & App Server) that are both using a single storefront.  I have published several apps from the app server and can access them from remote desktop through Citrix web and also have access to them in my remote desktop through Citrix Workspace 1903.  I have an issue when I launch a published app from remote dekstop but can't figure out what's causing it.

When I log into the web storefront I can launch Remote Desktop and see my published app shortcuts on my desktop.  When I launch an app it causes Citrix to initiate a second Remote Desktop session within my current remote desktop session along with the app.  The app does open fine but in the background I've got a second remote desktop session partially launched and an Access Denied popup.  I click OK on the popup and the second remote desktop session disappears and the app remains open.  This only happens after launching the first app once I login to remote desktop.  If I launch other apps after they seem fine.

NOTE: If I login to Remote Desktop for the first time, go to Citrix Workspace: Advanced Preferences > Shortcuts and Reconnect and check 'Show Applications in Start Menu' and 'Show Applications on Desktop' BEFORE doing anything else, I can then launch a published app and everything seems fine.  Oddly, both of these options are configured in group policy but for some reason they're not being pulled in.  I've also noticed that there are several reg keys in HKCU under Dazzle that don't populate until I manually check these two settings.  There's something about manually setting these options, specifically the 'Show Applications on Desktop', that 'fixes' the issue.

Each time I see the second dekstop loading issue I'm seeing the following event on my Remote Desktop server:

Level: Warning

Source: rpm

Event ID: 7

ICA Connection request denied because the current user, [domain\username], is not the owner of the Session, [domain\username].

I have checked Studio as well as Task Manager on the RD and App servers prior to logging in and there are no existing/disconnected session for the user prior to login.  I have read that this error can be seen if you try to launch an app before the system has completed a previous task or login, which makes sense.  However that doesn't appear to be the scenario here.  Although it seems that it's trying to loopback and launch another RD session when I launch a published app.  I assume I'm seeing the Access Denied popup because one user cannot have more than a single RD session open.

Thanks for any assistance!

Matt

1 answer to this question

Thought I would follow-up with this to close the loop.  I had to work with Citrix Support on this one.  The missing reg values referenced in the NOTE section in my original post was key.  Basically, I had to push these reg keys via GPO to get this resolved.  Citrix itself was not creating them on login for some reason.  I have listed them below.  Some are dups.

CitrixRegKeys.thumb.png.a15c822285a307d1e93867470d3b583b.png