Updated Privacy Statement

Citrix Workspace app 1903 install fails on Ubuntu 19.04

Luke Vicens

Question

I tried installing Citrix Workspace app 1903 on Ubuntu 19.04, but it fails, apparently due to an unmet dependency on libwebkit-1 (looks like Ubuntu 19.04 only includes libwebkit-2):

$ sudo apt install /tmp/icaclient_19.3.0.5_amd64.deb 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'icaclient' instead of '/tmp/icaclient_19.3.0.5_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 icaclient : Depends: libwebkit-1.0-2 but it is not installable or
                      libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 but it is not installable
             Recommends: libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 (>= 0.10.15) but it is not installable
             Recommends: libgstreamer0.10-0 (>= 0.10.15) but it is not installable
             Recommends: libcanberra-gtk-module but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad (>= 1.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Is there any workaround for this, or plans to update Citrix Workspace for LInux to use libwebkit-2?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

You can manually install the dependencies and then Citrix:

1. Download the 3 required dependencies from Launchpad (not providing direct links so you can check it's legit):

a. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/amd64/libicu60/60.2-3ubuntu3 (libicu60_60.2-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb (7.7 MiB))

b. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/amd64/libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0/2.4.11-3ubuntu3

(libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb (1.8 MiB))

c. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/cosmic/amd64/libwebkitgtk-1.0-0/2.4.11-3ubuntu3

(libwebkitgtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb (7.7 MiB))

2. Install the files in that order in the terminal

(assuming the files are in the Downloads folder)

cd ~/Downloads
sudo dpkg -i libicu60_60.2-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libwebkitgtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i icaclient_19.3.0.5_amd64.deb

This correctly installs Citrix Workspace. If you then get connection errors when trying to set it up, also implement step 3.

3. Fix the certificate error.

sudo ln -s /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/* /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/
sudo c_rehash /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/

That's all.

• Like 1
On 5/12/2019 at 8:14 AM, Nico Jabin said:

Thanks, that's a good start, but I'm a bit reticent to manually install libraries that are no longer in the 19.04 repos. In the past that has led me to weird and difficult to diagnose errors. I appreciate the workaround, though. For the moment I'm just using the Citrix Workspace app for Chrome, which is inferior to the real thing but causes no problems.

Still seems like a flatpak version would be a great option for everyone involved.

Edited by phren0logy
clarify which repos I meant
  • Like 1

Generally Citrix sticks with the LTSR editions of Ubuntu for support.  I had the Citrix Workspace App installed in 18.10 and it continued to work when I updated to 19.04.  Clean installs of 19.04 don't have libwebkit installed or available, so your best bet may be to download the .deb files of the missing dependencies from 18.10 then attempt the install.

I have similar problems. An upgrade of the libwebkitgtk-1.0 seems in place and I didn't know about flatpak, but that looks promising too. Can also be very beneficial for the developers I guess.

@Daniel HarperI couldn't find info on which distro and versions are supported, can you point me to it? It's the main purpose to pick up on using Linux again, so I'm willing to move towards a supported distro to create a working and stable setup (got it somewhat working now on openSuse through the browser, but crashes regularly).

ICAclient_scrsht_crash_20190516.png

Edited by surfdude764
Fyi. This is the error I get. Can't find anything on 'VWkq6'...
On 14/05/2019 at 9:36 AM, Andrew Nanton said:

Thanks, that's a good start, but I'm a bit reticent to manually install libraries that are no longer in the 19.04 repos. In the past that has led me to weird and difficult to diagnose errors. I appreciate the workaround, though. For the moment I'm just using the Citrix Workspace app for Chrome, which is inferior to the real thing but causes no problems.

Still seems like a flatpak version would be a great option for everyone involved.

On 12/05/2019 at 1:44 AM, Nico Jabin said:

1. Download the 3 required dependencies from Launchpad (not providing direct links so you can check it's legit):

a. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/amd64/libicu60/60.2-3ubuntu3 (libicu60_60.2-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb (7.7 MiB))

b. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/amd64/libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0/2.4.11-3ubuntu3

(libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb (1.8 MiB))

c. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/cosmic/amd64/libwebkitgtk-1.0-0/2.4.11-3ubuntu3

(libwebkitgtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb (7.7 MiB))

2. Install the files in that order in the terminal

(assuming the files are in the Downloads folder)

cd ~/Downloads
sudo dpkg -i libicu60_60.2-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libwebkitgtk-1.0-0_2.4.11-3ubuntu3_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i icaclient_19.3.0.5_amd64.deb

This correctly installs Citrix Workspace. If you then get connection errors when trying to set it up, also implement step 3.

3. Fix the certificate error.

sudo ln -s /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/* /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/
sudo c_rehash /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/

That's all.

i followed all these steps. Still im getting error. cannot connect to"0.0.0.2- remote_desktop"  attached screen shot.

error.png