Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Browser Content Redirection not working on linux

Selimir Kesten

Question

Hello,

first off my browser content redirection works from Windows 10 Endpoints, however from Linux it is not working.

Linux specs:
HP ThinPro OS
HP T630 Thin Client
OS Image: T7X70015 x86

Software: ICA Client 13.9.1.6-10
Webkit version 2.20.2

If i open Internet Explorer from Linux Endpoint (Published Desktop to Server 2016) i get these debug messages from HDXVideo.js

[HdxVideo.js] OnLoad (window): [object HTMLDocument]
[HdxVideo.js] Installing event listeners.
[HdxVideo.js] msexitFullscreen - Found!
[HdxVideo.js] onWSOpen:
[HdxVideo.js] >>> {"v":"tabid","id":"b8284511-9d40-4b0e-b30d-64df0dce5b7c"}
[HdxVideo.js] >>> {"v":"pageurl","url":"https://www.youtube.com/"}
[HdxVideo.js] onVisibilityChange:
[HdxVideo.js] >>> {"v":"vis","vis":true}
[HdxVideo.js] onResize:
[HdxVideo.js] >>> {"v":"pageredir"}
[HdxVideo.js] sendClientSize:  w: 1920  h: 597
[HdxVideo.js] >>> {"v":"clisz","w":1920,"h":597}
[HdxVideo.js] <<< {"v":"Version","Number":"15.15.0.10009"}
[HdxVideo.js] onWSMessage: Unknown message received!
[HdxVideo.js] <<< {"v":"winid","title":"CitrixVideo:{c206a759-60dd-4c68-919a-bd2b7746b07a}"}
[HdxVideo.js] onWSMessage: winid: CitrixVideo:{c206a759-60dd-4c68-919a-bd2b7746b07a}
[HdxVideo.js] setWindowTitle: CitrixVideo:{c206a759-60dd-4c68-919a-bd2b7746b07a}
[HdxVideo.js] documentTitleMutator.start()
[HdxVideo.js] documentTitleMutator.start(): starting MutationObserver
[HdxVideo.js] >>> {"v":"winid"}
[HdxVideo.js] localClientScreenOffset: {0, 55}
[HdxVideo.js] clientScreenOffset: {0, 55}
[HdxVideo.js] >>> {"v":"cso","x":0,"y":55}
[HdxVideo.js] <<< {"v":"pageredir"}
[HdxVideo.js] onWSMessage: pageredir
[HdxVideo.js] Redirecting page -- ???! https://www.youtube.com/
[HdxVideo.js] 1-1 cleanupAckCount=0 frames.length=5
[HdxVideo.js] processing child frame: i=0
[HdxVideo.js] url=about:blank isTrivialUrl=true
[HdxVideo.js] processing child frame: i=1
[HdxVideo.js] OnClenupReq(): exception notifying child frames
[HdxVideo.js] processing child frame: i=3
[HdxVideo.js] processing child frame: i=4
[HdxVideo.js] url=javascript:"" isTrivialUrl=true
[HdxVideo.js] 1-2 cleanupAckCount=0
[HdxVideo.js] <<< {"v":"winid"}
[HdxVideo.js] onWSMessage: winid: undefined
[HdxVideo.js] setWindowTitle: undefined
[HdxVideo.js] setWindowTitle: No titles remain.  Reverting to original title.
[HdxVideo.js] waiting for more child frames to ack back: cleanupAckCount=0 cleanupOriginator=true
[HdxVideo.js] Clearing content -- OnPageRedirCommit.

After that the page is complete white.

On linux i can see the following processes:

webcontainer WebKitNetworkProcess and WebKitWebProcess

GPO on SRV2016 (These settings are working from Windows 10 Endpoints)
Browser Content Redirection: enabled
Browser Content Redirection Access Control List (ACL): https://www.youtube.com/*
Browser Content Redirection proxy : enabled value: http://proxy:port

I do knot know what is failing here? Is there any way to troubleshoot this?

15 answers to this question

Tried this command on linux and i can see that line:

tcp        0      1 internal_client_ip:57786      172.217.23.142:443      SYN_SENT    1000       39692       7595/WebKitNetworkP

WebKitNetworkP tries to connect to 172.217.23.142:443 (Youtube) directly which is not working off course since the client does not have internet access.

But it should be using Server fetch and client render because of GPO:

GPO on SRV2016 (These settings are working from Windows 10 Endpoints)
Browser Content Redirection: enabled
Browser Content Redirection Access Control List (ACL): https://www.youtube.com/*
Browser Content Redirection proxy : enabled value: http://proxy:port

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 0:47 AM, Selimir Kesten said:

The problem was that the ADMX files downloaded from here for 7.15 LTSR CU3 (https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-virtual-apps-and-desktops/components/browser-content-redirection-1515.html)

point to WebBrowserRedirectionProxy registry key but the key should be WebBrowserRedirectionProxyAddress.

Thanks for pointing that out!

When using the ADMX template for 7.15 CU3, the policy "Browser Content Redirection Proxy Configuration" is not setting the regkey correctly, and the word "Address" is missing from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\HdxMediastream\WebBrowserRedirectionProxyAddress

We will correct this asap and re-upload the ADMX template to citrix.com\downloads

On 6/11/2019 at 9:04 PM, Nick Casagrande1709152718 said:

I've got BCR working on windows endpoints, that was super easy, however not working with citrix workspace hub devices (rpi'3) from clearcube nor stratodesk.  anyone else?

Same issue here and we're not seeing WebKitNetwork via netstat on any of our pages set for redirection.  Works great on Windows endpoints though.

Environment:

Stratodesk (latest build 5338 5.2 kernel)

VDA 1906.1.0.22052

Windows 10 1809 Enterprise VDAs

Citrix Workspace App: 19.6.0.60

Hope someone has some insight and many thanks!

10 hours ago, Nick Casagrande1709152718 said:

i just got the ncomputing and clearcube 5338 build for the PI's.  going to try it out in the next few days.  wish me good luck.  i actually opened a case with citrix about this exact thing.  they loaded their pi with raspian i believe and the public wsa and it worked they said, so it was pushed back to stratodesk obviously.  

Nick,

I'll be eager to see how it goes.  I was going to open a Citrix and Stratodesk ticket today on this but may steer towards only reaching out to Stratodesk now.  Hopefully we can get this going as we've got a very large WebRTC roll out going in a few weeks.... Hope yours works!

-Garrett

4 hours ago, Garrett Lynch said:

Nick,

I'll be eager to see how it goes.  I was going to open a Citrix and Stratodesk ticket today on this but may steer towards only reaching out to Stratodesk now.  Hopefully we can get this going as we've got a very large WebRTC roll out going in a few weeks.... Hope yours works!

-Garrett

HI Garrett, 

BCR depends on WebKitGTK+ as the rendering engine in Linux CWA.

AFAIK, WebRTC is not supported yet on that WebKit port, hence you might be out of luck until it becomes available.

(It is currently under development). Once it is available, your Thin Client vendor needs to re-distribute WebKitGTK+ with their OS.

4 hours ago, Garrett Lynch said:

Nick,

-Garrett

no dice with 5338 on the clearcube c3xpi

citrix published on their blog in regards to these PI's they've been successful with getting it to work when raspian stretch was the o/s on the device.  with that said i don't understand the disconnect between them and stratodesk in this regard.  it's super frustrating for us as admin to say a feature is supported only to find out it is not.  i don't are about the politics of this crap, i just want it to work!

On 7/25/2019 at 2:39 PM, Nick Casagrande1709152718 said:

no dice with 5338 on the clearcube c3xpi

citrix published on their blog in regards to these PI's they've been successful with getting it to work when raspian stretch was the o/s on the device.  with that said i don't understand the disconnect between them and stratodesk in this regard.  it's super frustrating for us as admin to say a feature is supported only to find out it is not.  i don't are about the politics of this crap, i just want it to work!

Nick,

Thanks for that.  After a lot of testing, digging, and reaching out to both Citrix and Stratodesk, there's a lot of frustration with the lack of full BCR in Linux.  With Stratodesk, it's definitely hit or miss when Chrome decides to process a white-listed site on the endpoint but when it does, it's barebones being Webkit2GTK/Gstreamer (Safari on browser checks) compared to Chrome 72 embedded into the 1907 workspace app for Windows.  Fluendo was required for anything video and a bit pricey through Stratodesk but the primary issue is WebRTC.  It just isn't supported...

Windows on the other hand works perfectly and it's going to be hard to redesign our ThinClient strategy after just rolling out Stratodesk to all of our US and international endpoints...

I'm not giving up on this yet!  Spoke with Rich, we're going to go over a few things next week.  Fluendo from what I read has no bearing on the Pi as it is for x86 platforms.  I found wiki or something on it a few weeks ago.  

PS - I'm in agreement about Windows endpoints, they work seamlessly with BCR, it was so easy with zero problems I thought I actually did it wrong (I was expecting the worse).  

Thanks to the Stratodesk team, they finally got BCR to work on the Pi / Citrix WSH after removing the Studio policy of "Use video codec for compression"  This policy is needed to use the Pi Zero / SDA for a second screen, however I've yet to test if the second screen will work without this policy, fingers crossed. as all my users have dual display.  Also since the Pi has very limited processing power, had to lower youtube to 240p for a nice clean smooth video, but on the brightside the VDA has a cpu of about 8% while watching videos.  I've also ordered a Pi4 to test this with.  Since it has native dual display, perhaps the hdx policy will not be needed.  More to come.  

12 minutes ago, Nick Casagrande1709152718 said:

Thanks to the Stratodesk team, they finally got BCR to work on the Pi / Citrix WSH after removing the Studio policy of "Use video codec for compression"  This policy is needed to use the Pi Zero / SDA for a second screen, however I've yet to test if the second screen will work without this policy, fingers crossed. as all my users have dual display.  Also since the Pi has very limited processing power, had to lower youtube to 240p for a nice clean smooth video, but on the brightside the VDA has a cpu of about 8% while watching videos.  I've also ordered a Pi4 to test this with.  Since it has native dual display, perhaps the hdx policy will not be needed.  More to come.  

Thanks Nick for the update and persistence! It's great to know things are on the up-and-up.