Welcome to our new Citrix community!

ADC 12.1 Build 50.28 - Citrix session freezing

Hi,

I experienced with this firmware-build an issue where the Rewrite Policies I create are not working. I tested with a downgrade to the 12.1 build 49.37 and my Rewrite Policies are functioning again.  I have for this issue an open support-case running.  More news in the near future once I have more news from the support-engineer.

In other words, is this 12.1 build 50.28 actually a good firmware-build ?

Any other experiences ?

Greetings,

Chris Marreel

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I could solve my issue with the "Rewrite Policies" by downgrading to the 49.37 build.

I had a Citrix Support case (december 2018), and they confirmed the issue/bug with those Rewrite Policies, but they would not release a fix until the new build would come available in march 2019.  

I suggested that support engineer to withdraw that 'bad' 50.28 build, but he mentioned that would not be the case.  I have warned my college's to not use that 50.28 build, and stay at the 49.37 build.

I would suggest to do a downgrade to that 49.37 build.

Greetings,

Chris

Hi Carl,

I was not yet aware of that 50.31 build for the 12.1 firmware.

I have tested this and I can confirm the "rewrite policies" are working as they should with this upgrade.  

Thanks for making me attent of this maintenance-build 50.31 for the 12.1 firmware.

P.S. I noticed this was indeed mentioned in the Release Notes :

In a Citrix Gateway appliance, responder and rewrite policies bound to VPN virtual servers might not process the packets that matched the policy rules.

[# NSHELP-18311]

Greetings,

Chris Marreel

6 hours ago, Mathias Sigrist said:

Hi Prabhu

We noticed that the Citrix sessions freeze intermittently, when both EDT and Appflow is enabled. Disabling either EDT or Appflow resolved the issue for us. A rollback is not possible for us due to the recently released vulnerability (https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX240139).

Best regards

Mathias

Thanks, Mathias, I thought it could be related to EDT but didn't think about appflow. I will see if I can test this scenario. 

Cheers

Prabhu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are experiencing the same issue w/ 12.1 50.28 and looked into the newest FM available but it has a "Known Issue" w/ Check Point Firewalls (which we use).

As soon as I disable EDT the symptoms no longer persist.

Has anyone found a resolution to this besides rolling back versions?

I have opened a case and will post my updates as they become available.

Thanks Prabhu,

My understanding with using the command provided is that the NSAPIMGR commands by default does not survive a reboot and would need the same command in rc.netscaler.

Here is the response I got from support:

"This is a known issue in 12.1 50.X , and engineering is working on proving a fix in upcoming 12.1 and 13.0 versions. It seems that the fix for 12.1 will be on build 52+, but this firmware is not available yet.

Work around is to disable AppFlow"

We ended up disabling AppFlow which resolved the issue but now no analytics in MAS :-/

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 8:47 AM, Derek Black said:

Thanks Prabhu,

My understanding with using the command provided is that the NSAPIMGR commands by default does not survive a reboot and would need the same command in rc.netscaler.

Here is the response I got from support:

"This is a known issue in 12.1 50.X , and engineering is working on proving a fix in upcoming 12.1 and 13.0 versions. It seems that the fix for 12.1 will be on build 52+, but this firmware is not available yet.

Work around is to disable AppFlow"

We ended up disabling AppFlow which resolved the issue but now no analytics in MAS :-/

Does anyone know if this is fixed in 12.1.51.19? We are seeing the same issue after setting up MAS.

7 hours ago, Ryan Chaney1709160382 said:

Does anyone know if this is fixed in 12.1.51.19? We are seeing the same issue after setting up MAS.

Hi, I was reading through the fixed issues other day and noticed that it is fixed in this release 

"In some cases, users experience application launch failures or frozen sessions for EDT sessions, if Citrix Gateway is configured to generate Insights for EDT.

[# NSINSIGHT-1791]"

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/downloads/release-notes-12-1-51-19.html

7 minutes ago, Prabhu Govindaraj1709160069 said:

Hi, I was reading through the fixed issues other day and noticed that it is fixed in this release 

"In some cases, users experience application launch failures or frozen sessions for EDT sessions, if Citrix Gateway is configured to generate Insights for EDT.

[# NSINSIGHT-1791]"

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/downloads/release-notes-12-1-51-19.html

It is definitely not fixed in the 12.1-51.19 version.  We just had freezing sessions return with AppFlow disabled.  Support noted that disabling AppFlow was only a workaround and disabling EDT is the only way to ensure the symptoms don’t recur.  

Expected fix to be included in the 13.X and 12.1.52 releases.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Derek Black said:

It is definitely not fixed in the 12.1-51.19 version.  We just had freezing sessions return with AppFlow disabled.  Support noted that disabling AppFlow was only a workaround and disabling EDT is the only way to ensure the symptoms don’t recur.  

Expected fix to be included in the 13.X and 12.1.52 releases.

Thanks for confirming. 

• 6 months later...

We are still seeing issues w/ 12.1.52.15 when EDT is enabled on our 7.15 CU4 farm where sessions freeze or users experience sub-optimal/degraded performance

Also seeing duplicate/stale sessions that act almost like a port exhaustion DOS when users are coming through the Gateway whether AppFlow is disabled or enabled.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

we experienced the app freezing issue with EDT and AppFlow enabled on ADC VPX 12.1.54.16 (and also with prior firmware versions). It looks better now after we upgraded to 12.1 55.13. No apps freezing so far.

I can't believe this issue hasn't been reported to customers, we struggled with the issue for well over a month, and the apps were basically unusable during this whole time. This really is unacceptable.

6 hours ago, tylital520 said:

Hello,

we experienced the app freezing issue with EDT and AppFlow enabled on ADC VPX 12.1.54.16 (and also with prior firmware versions). It looks better now after we upgraded to 12.1 55.13. No apps freezing so far.

I can't believe this issue hasn't been reported to customers, we struggled with the issue for well over a month, and the apps were basically unusable during this whole time. This really is unacceptable.

Glad to hear it is finally fixed.  Do you have AppFlow enabled?  Any issues with users connecting via Gateway?

We've been struggling for the past couple of years to get this enabled and stable.  Seems when we do get it working it works for a few weeks, maybe month at the most until we start having issues.  As an organization we have been burnt so many times we have almost given up on using the new protocol which we see value and Citrix has been touting since 2017.

Seems like this shouldn't be so difficult considering EDT/Adaptive Transport is now the default out of the box.....

On 11/29/2019 at 4:55 PM, Derek Black said:

Glad to hear it is finally fixed.  Do you have AppFlow enabled?  Any issues with users connecting via Gateway?

We've been struggling for the past couple of years to get this enabled and stable.  Seems when we do get it working it works for a few weeks, maybe month at the most until we start having issues.  As an organization we have been burnt so many times we have almost given up on using the new protocol which we see value and Citrix has been touting since 2017.

Seems like this shouldn't be so difficult considering EDT/Adaptive Transport is now the default out of the box.....

Yes we are using Appflow as we have set up ADM. I upgraded the ADC firmware last week, and so far it looks good. Let's hope it stays that way. There is still one issue though but I am not sure if it is related to this. Sometimes when a user logs in to ADC Gateway the built-in portal shows only bookmarks but doesn't load the apps and desktops. User has to logout and login couple of times before they come visible. I think I'll open a ticket about this to Citrix.