Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Install Management Agent

Kyle Hagborg

Question

Hello,

I got 2 freshly installed XenServer 7.6 hosts, fully updated.  I'm creating Ubuntu 18.04 VM's and despite installing xentools, under the General tab for each of these VM's the virtualization state reads "Install Management Agent". 

I've mounted the guest-tools.iso as root and ran the install.sh without error, yet all my Ubuntu VM's don't recognize this.  What am I missing here?

18 answers to this question

Hey guys,

I know, it's a bit late, but I had this issue with XenCenter stating "Management Agent not installed" after I switched an older Ubuntu 18.04 LTS from PV to HVM. All was well before the switch.

Comparing the metadata to a freshly built Ubuntu 18.04 from the latest Ubuntu template (16.04 in my case with XenServer 7.1), I stumbled over these settings that were different. Changing them accordingly on the guest did the trick:

xe vm-param-get uuid=<vm-uuid> param-name=platform

I've had to switch these ones after stopping the guest VM:

xe vm-param-set uuid=<vm-uuid> platform:nx=true
xe vm-param-set uuid=<vm-uuid> platform:viridian=false
xe vm-param-set uuid=<vm-uuid> platform:acpi=1
xe vm-param-set uuid=<vm-uuid> platform:device_id=0001

A boot later, all was just fine. ?

So, the problem most probably was that the guest VM contained some old settings form an ancient template used to create the VM in the beginning, that never changed to the more modern settings. I hope this helps others in the same situation.

BfN, Konrad