Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows Server 2019 - XA/XD Support ?

Paul Metcalfe1709156241

Question

On 10/8/2018 at 8:52 AM, Martijn Kools said:

I wonder why you want to be on board with Windows Server 2019 from day one but for Citrix you want to run LTSR ;) I don't think there is a real advantage in upgrading to 2019 already, it would be better to start with 2016 and go to 2019 later on when all bugs are ironed out and new XenApp LTSR is released that supports it. The users won't notice a huge difference, well some GUI changes but nothing spectacular.

Anyway, I was about to do a test install of Windows Server 2019 and the latest XenApp until I noticed that Microsoft pulled the ISOs because of a bug in Windows 10 1809 (I guess Server 2019 is the same built) so now I have to wait again for it to re-appear as I didn't get the chance to download it yet.

Windows Server 2019 release is the current release of Windows LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) of Windows Server. This channel is designed for systems that require a longer servicing option and functional stability.  There is a separate channel called 'Semi-Annual Channel' that is more for rapid releases and new features. Citrix current release of the LTSR (Long Term Service Release) of XenDesktop is 7.15, in the past large organizations enjoyed that citrix support and releases typically aligned the citrix xenapp/xendesktop software with the operating system. 

Citrix decision not to align its current LTSR with current LTSC of windows server offers a very fragmented support structure.  Organizations now have to adopt the LTSC of Windows Server with the current branch of the XenDesktop/XenApp software if they plan to deploy windows server 2019.  CR doesnt follow the support of the LTSC of windows server. It would require significant testing, planning, of releases to stay within the citrix  supported lifecycle model after the deployment .

This is a big deal and its unfortunate as LTSR has mixed VDA support for other operating systems. what this means is organizations will end up waiting longer to deploy and test applications for citrix xenapp LTSR running windows 2019 server.

I also find it unfortunate citrix would decide to support windows 10 1809 with LTSR 7.15 CU3, but not Windows Server 2019 when both are released at the same time.  I am in agreement with the poster frustration, especially since the statement 'we will support on day one', but the part of switching XD release channels was left out of the statement.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Guang Liu said:

Windows Server 2019

Citrix has been consistently testing Windows Server 2019 Insider Preview throughout our development cycle, and our 1808 release is designed to position Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops with support for Windows Server 2019 on “Day One.”

Using Insider Preview builds is not supported by Citrix or Microsoft, and they are not recommended for use in a production environment. Upgrading a component to or from an Insider Preview build is not supported.

The server2019 official release date is later than CVAD 1808, We do not recommend that you use server 2019  in your production environment.

clearly says Day One support for Windows Server 2019

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2018/08/30/tasty-just-in-time-for-fall-citrix-virtual-apps-and-desktops-is-here/

2 hours ago, Miguel Contreras said:

No, 7.15 LTSR will not provide support for Windows Server 2019. LTSR support for Windows Server 2019 will be available with the next LTSR release.

Any idea when the next LTSR is dropping? Working on a massive deployment that isn't due for a couple months and trying to plan - 

On 10/5/2018 at 4:35 PM, Jason Huebner said:

Any idea when the next LTSR is dropping? Working on a massive deployment that isn't due for a couple months and trying to plan - 

I wonder why you want to be on board with Windows Server 2019 from day one but for Citrix you want to run LTSR ;) I don't think there is a real advantage in upgrading to 2019 already, it would be better to start with 2016 and go to 2019 later on when all bugs are ironed out and new XenApp LTSR is released that supports it. The users won't notice a huge difference, well some GUI changes but nothing spectacular.

Anyway, I was about to do a test install of Windows Server 2019 and the latest XenApp until I noticed that Microsoft pulled the ISOs because of a bug in Windows 10 1809 (I guess Server 2019 is the same built) so now I have to wait again for it to re-appear as I didn't get the chance to download it yet.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:21 PM, Adam Walker said:

Windows Server 2019 release is the current release of Windows LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) of Windows Server. This channel is designed for systems that require a longer servicing option and functional stability.  There is a separate channel called 'Semi-Annual Channel' that is more for rapid releases and new features. Citrix current release of the LTSR (Long Term Service Release) of XenDesktop is 7.15, in the past large organizations enjoyed that citrix support and releases typically aligned the citrix xenapp/xendesktop software with the operating system. 

Citrix decision not to align its current LTSR with current LTSC of windows server offers a very fragmented support structure.  Organizations now have to adopt the LTSC of Windows Server with the current branch of the XenDesktop/XenApp software if they plan to deploy windows server 2019.  CR doesnt follow the support of the LTSC of windows server. It would require significant testing, planning, of releases to stay within the citrix  supported lifecycle model after the deployment .

This is a big deal and its unfortunate as LTSR has mixed VDA support for other operating systems. what this means is organizations will end up waiting longer to deploy and test applications for citrix xenapp LTSR running windows 2019 server.

I also find it unfortunate citrix would decide to support windows 10 1809 with LTSR 7.15 CU3, but not Windows Server 2019 when both are released at the same time.  I am in agreement with the poster frustration, especially since the statement 'we will support on day one', but the part of switching XD release channels was left out of the statement.

The only explanation is that it has to do with the Microsoft support timelines.  Windows 10 Spring releases are only supported for 18 months and Windows 10 Fall releases are now supported for 30 months.  If they did NOT support the new windows 10 releases, eventually 7.15 LTSR would not support Windows 10 at all considering the 10 year life span of 7.15 LTSR.   Microsoft is also recommending customers to use the SAC vs LTSC releases for Windows 10 which further pushes this theory.  Windows Server releases are 5+5 which makes sense as to why they don't support the new Windows Server right away. with LTSR.  LTSR customers typically don't jump to the latest and greatest which is why I assume this decision was made.  I also assume there was a lot of code that changed between Server 2016 and 2019 and they are unwilling to back port the code to 7.15 LTSR as that could alter the product in a way that would make it more CR than LTSR.

On 4.10.2018 at 3:12 PM, Miguel Contreras said:

Hey everyone,

Windows Server 2019 IS SUPPORTED with Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 1808. As Thomas mentioned above, we announced this in the Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 1808 release blog post. Documentation will be updated shortly to reflect this.

Migs

Product Manager - HDX

Edited by hjohnse545
Fixed!

FYI i've been running our POC for a month or so now since my original post with (almost) all components on 2019 running fine. 

The biggest exception was StoreFront, which seemed to have no end of troubles especially when having a second node in the config.  Eventually had to give up and put storefront on 2016.  Called Citrix Support but they said StoreFront was only supported on 2016. 

18 hours ago, Derek Choi said:

Using 7.15 LTSR Xendesktop, pretty disappointed that it won't support Win2019, as newer office and projects are all required windows 2019.

Hey Derek, unfortunately support for Win2019 required a few changes and additions that were too intrusive for backporting into 7.15 LTSR. However, you have a few options, which at the very least will allow you to start testing Win2019 in your environment.

1. As Carl mentioned, you could use CVAD 1906, which was just released and is supported until December 2020.
  2. If you don't want or can't upgrade your entire environment to CVAD 1906, you could build a separate CVAD 1906 site so you can add Win2019 Virtual Apps servers.
  3. If you don't want to create a separate site, you could add Win2019 machines with CVAD 1906 VDA to your LTSR site. These VDAs obviously wouldn't be eligible for LTSR benefits; they would follow the standard CR lifecycle, but you can use them. More detailed guidance on this option will be available in the LTSR FAQ soon. 
    Any features that require policies not available in LTSR Studio can be configured via GPO by installing the CVAD 1906 Group Policy Management pack on a machine where GPOs are managed. There are certain features that also require a minimum version of Workspace App/Receiver, so something to keep in mind.
15 hours ago, Derek Choi said:

Using 7.15 LTSR Xendesktop, pretty disappointed that it won't support Win2019, as newer office and projects are all required windows 2019.

Why is that?  You're completely missing the point of Citrix's LTSR.  If you want new features, go with a CR.

FYI, Office 365 is not supported on Windows 2019 and that is artificial Microsoft limitation.  Exceptions can be made.

Joe

6 hours ago, Joe Shonk said:

Why is that?  You're completely missing the point of Citrix's LTSR.  If you want new features, go with a CR.

FYI, Office 365 is not supported on Windows 2019 and that is artificial Microsoft limitation.  Exceptions can be made.

Joe

Exactly Joe, that's who point of LTSR.

If you are forcing people to upgrade to a newer version that does NOT exist, just to support current operating system, that defeat the purpose of LTSR.

19 hours ago, Derek Choi said:

Exactly Joe, that's who point of LTSR.

If you are forcing people to upgrade to a newer version that does NOT exist, just to support current operating system, that defeat the purpose of LTSR.

the truth is the LTSR is broken, when citrix started the LTSR sounded like a great idea to follow the longer support cycle for enterprises.

citrix should just abandon the LTSR, its confusing and they constantly send mix messages and not all components are in LTSR program.

for example

applayer isn't part of LTSR, yet appdisk is set to be depreciated

some features require non LTSR components. BCR (browser content redirection) for example requires current release of citrix receiver

LTSR doesn't extend to NetScaler firmware releases

LTSR support for latest windows operating systems is fragmented. 

Citrix will decide to support latest SAC of windows 10

Citrix will not decided to support latest LTSC of windows server 2019.

LTSR is slow to release cumulative updates (took a full year for CU3) and doesn't appear to have any regular release schedule

I just dont see Citrix being able to support this current state,

if you want to see discussions others are having take a look at,

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2019/01/15/ltsr-vs-cr-the-current-debate/

https://www.citrixguru.com/2019/01/21/ltsr-vs-cr/

LTSR is really not a very good option at the moment.