Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Workspace App SAML Support

John Kalleen

Question

Hey all, I hope someone has an answer different than what I think it is:

Situation: 

We use Azure MFA for our IDP, this is set up as a SAML server on our NetScaler gateway (12.1.49.23) and has been working just fine for receiver for web users connecting through the gateway to StoreFront.

Second factor on gateway is LDAP with passthrough to StoreFront.

We were told by product managers at Citrix that Workspace App (testing with 1809) was going to include native SAML support as long as we were on NetScaler 12.1.48 and higher. 

When I punch in the URL in the Workspace App prompt, I get the typical:

image.thumb.png.f9467eb030d6583a85f6103536a69176.png

I would expect a redirection to Microsoft for authentication but this never happens. 

Tried:

Changing the SAML server binding on the NetScaler from redirect to post. Same issue.

Removed the SAML auth policy from the gateway VIP altogether. I get all the way through with LDAP and am able to launch apps.

Basically, I never get a prompt as long as a SAML is the first factor in the stack. Anyone else trying to do this?

Thanks...

14 answers to this question

I got this working for my scenario which is that Azure is the IDP, ie the user auth's to Azure where they also get an MFA challenge ... here is a fast reply on that config, apologies if not sufficient info right now ...

First, using Azure as the idp means the Netscaler is an SP, which means we will need the AAA feature/Enterprise license

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/netscaler/12/aaa-tm/saml-authentication/netscaler-saml-sp.html

In the Netscaler Gateway you should have created a SAML Server and possibly an authentication Policy for Azure, how to is documented in several places, notably

https://www.carlstalhood.com/citrix-federated-authentication-service-saml/#samlflow

We can bind that auth policy to the Gateway VS and it will work nicely for web login but not for Receiver/Workspace.

As mentioned in posts above we need to do an nFactor setup to get Receiver connectivity so if you added the SAMl policy as a basic auth to your VS, remove the binding.

Netscaler 12.1 > Security > AAA - Application Traffic > Policies > Authentication > Advanced Policies > Policy > create a AAA Auth policy, the action is set as the Azure SAML server you have already configured, the expression would be TRUE.

Now create a AAA Server, use the same Server cert as you use for the Gateway VS, non addressable ip, and under advanced authentication policy, add the policy you created in the step above.

Now to the gateway virtual server where under “Authentication Profile”  you "add" a new Authentication profile and associate it with the AAA VS created in previous step.

save you config and you should now be able to connect using Receiver 14.12 client, Workspace 1812 client and via browser. (I also note the normal browser session policy works nicely for the clients, no need for a dedicated receiver session policy).

Our setup and requirements are basic and not exactly like yours so it wouldn't help exactly but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Aengus

Edited by amoran393
grammar
  • Like 2

One thing I've just come across is the presence of any subsequent session policies bound to the vServer containing EPA scans causing this error post-auth (noted this on 12.1 b50.28 specifically but suspect it was the same issue I was having on 50.31 post SAML auth). Even if the first bound policy is the Receiver policy, somehow the web policies with EPA scans on them are being evaluated and causing the connection to crap out post auth. As soon as those are unbound, Workspace App sets up the store no problem. Strangely none of this is a problem if reverting to basic auth. Going to investigate this with support.

Awesome, I'd still recommend keeping the Receiver policy in place though. Side note my issue above was resolved; bound policies (in our case EPA policies) cannot have a pipe in them ( II ) or it causes the error message. Doesn't matter if the Receiver policy gets hit first, mere presence of II in a bound policy expression created an issue. Also, found a potential bug in 12.1 b50.31, if using a custom theme and advanced policies, you may get a "cannot complete your request" message when visiting the page. Harmless error but confusing. Doesn't show up if using basic auth policies. Workaround for the moment is a downgrade or reverting to a default theme, but have a case opened with support. 

I had to upgrade my 12.1 48.13 Netscalers to 12.1 5.31 to get it to work.

Aengus

Update .. I'm now not 100% sure that 12.1 48.13 needed update, I found an issue where I had a custom portal page assigned to one VS and that was causing a problem, so if you are on 12.1 48.13 set your VS's portal page to default and test login before choosing the firmware update option.

I've done the config and works 100% for web, however when attempting to use Workspace App 19.11 its goes through the login process successfully and when it redirects back to the Workspace App for application enumeration it keeps on providing an authentication popup box. I've tried manually authenticating, session policies are still split. Anyone have an article covering the Workspace App nFactor authentication configuration thats working?

image.thumb.png.5d436012e14da5e7cc6836b98994c3e2.png

On 2/6/2019 at 2:47 AM, Aengus Moran1709153428 said:

I got this working for my scenario which is that Azure is the IDP, ie the user auth's to Azure where they also get an MFA challenge ... here is a fast reply on that config, apologies if not sufficient info right now ...

First, using Azure as the idp means the Netscaler is an SP, which means we will need the AAA feature/Enterprise license

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/netscaler/12/aaa-tm/saml-authentication/netscaler-saml-sp.html

In the Netscaler Gateway you should have created a SAML Server and possibly an authentication Policy for Azure, how to is documented in several places, notably

https://www.carlstalhood.com/citrix-federated-authentication-service-saml/#samlflow

We can bind that auth policy to the Gateway VS and it will work nicely for web login but not for Receiver/Workspace.

As mentioned in posts above we need to do an nFactor setup to get Receiver connectivity so if you added the SAMl policy as a basic auth to your VS, remove the binding.

Netscaler 12.1 > Security > AAA - Application Traffic > Policies > Authentication > Advanced Policies > Policy > create a AAA Auth policy, the action is set as the Azure SAML server you have already configured, the expression would be TRUE.

Now create a AAA Server, use the same Server cert as you use for the Gateway VS, non addressable ip, and under advanced authentication policy, add the policy you created in the step above.

Now to the gateway virtual server where under “Authentication Profile”  you "add" a new Authentication profile and associate it with the AAA VS created in previous step.

save you config and you should now be able to connect using Receiver 14.12 client, Workspace 1812 client and via browser. (I also note the normal browser session policy works nicely for the clients, no need for a dedicated receiver session policy).

Our setup and requirements are basic and not exactly like yours so it wouldn't help exactly but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Aengus

Even it is older discussion, I want to confirm that Workspace app (today's version 2105) requires AAA virtual server with advanced authentication policy to make it working with SAML. So it's still valid point. To be honest, I like that AAA policy / approach, it offers more features afterwards, but be aware that AAA is NOT included in ADC's  Standard license.

One additional step you have to do before you bind AAA virtual server on Citrix Gateway virtual server: create authentication profile, which can be bound there.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:11 AM, Darren Girling said:

I've done the config and works 100% for web, however when attempting to use Workspace App 19.11 its goes through the login process successfully and when it redirects back to the Workspace App for application enumeration it keeps on providing an authentication popup box. I've tried manually authenticating, session policies are still split. Anyone have an article covering the Workspace App nFactor authentication configuration thats working?

image.thumb.png.5d436012e14da5e7cc6836b98994c3e2.png

Did you ever resolve this?  We have the same issue.  (FYI, AAA is now included in the standard license in version 13.)

On 9/16/2021 at 11:16 AM, Mark Koncurat said:

Did you ever resolve this?  We have the same issue.  (FYI, AAA is now included in the standard license in version 13.)

Did@Darren Girling  or@Mark Koncuratever resolve this issue? I'm running into the same issue.

Edit: I found the solution for my issue, was related to storefront's beacon configuration. 

Edited by Mitch Bonner
found solution