Welcome to our new Citrix community!

FYI - Users Unable to Close File Explorer Windows 10 1803

Question

We've experienced a strange issue in our environment where upon first logon, users are unable to close File Explorer. Once the user logs out and then back in, File Explorer works properly. 

After much troubleshooting, it appears if you disable the "Themes" service, the above issue occurs. Leaving the service in an "Automatic" startup state is necessary. 

Picture is attached of what the broken File Explorer looks like. Notice the blue bar along the top of the window. 

Hopefully this helps anyone else experiencing this issue.

Broken File Explorer.png

5 answers to this question

Just to say that I also experienced this in the following environment:-

XA 7.18

Server 2019 Desktops

VDA 1906

Enabling the Themes service restored functionality on File Explorer as well.

Also noticed for me, the Start Menu stopped working (left mouse click) around the same time.

Hopefully they are related but I will need to monitor this.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Christoph Kolbicz1709156882 said:

ive seen this a few times and always wondered what is causing this. 

did you use Citrix Optimizer and disabled the themes service with it?

I certainly did. Originally I used the latest VMware optimization tool as well but that caused more bugs than anything. I then quickly rollbacked my image and then ran only the Citrix Optimizer Tool.

Granted if I remember correctly, I believe the themes service is listed under miscellaneous or optional (can’t remember the exact verb-age) I assume many people are just selecting all and hitting optimize though. Luckily, I nailed it down to a service being stopped and then slowly re-enabled them until I found the culprit.

8 minutes ago, IT Department1709156658 said:

Granted if I remember correctly, I believe the themes service is listed under miscellaneous or optional (can’t remember the exact verb-age) I assume many people are just selecting all and hitting optimize though. 

thats exactly what i did, but i never really investigated because it works fine on second login. but good to know - thanks for the info!