Welcome to our new Citrix community!

unusable after upgrade to Xorg V1.20

Question

After upgrading Xorg to 1.20, Receiver became unusable:

if i start the receiver, Xorg and gnome-shell start using almost 100% CPU, the system becomes totally unresponsive. i can see the remote desktop, but i am unable to click anything. i have to kill wfica from tty and restart gnome-shell to make the system usable again.

using:

Arch Linux

Xorg 1.20.0-2

gnome-shell 3.28.2-1

nvidia-390xx (had to switch to this branch because latest nvidia driver 396.24 has a bug and does not work with my palit 1060)

Receiver 13.9.1-2 from aur (also tried 13.4-1  without success)

is there any workaround? (besides downgrading, waiting for fixes)

19 answers to this question

Ah-ha! I found more information and a workaround/fix.  At least, it works for me. First, I found a comment on the Arch package page [0] that says:

sandstorm commented on 2018-06-05 17:38

@marulkan: as a workaround for the issue with xorg-server-common-1.20, please do the changes to ~/.ICAClient/All_Regions.ini as described here: https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Citrix_ICA_Client/#Problembehebung chapter: Probleme mit Seamless Fenstern

Leave it in windowed mode and do not go in full screen.

Then I found in that link some tips in a language I don't read, but that's OK, we all read the languages of bugs and working around other companies' problems:

Probleme mit Seamless Fenstern

Mit der Gnome-Shell machen die seamless Fenster häufiger Probleme. Abhilfe kann durch Nutzen des nativen Fenstermanager geschaffen werden. Hierzu müssen einige Einstellungen in der Datei ~/.ICAClient/All_Regions.ini vorgenommen werden.

Dazu öffnet man die Datei mit einem Editor[6] und editiert die Abschnitte, wie im folgenden gezeigt. Als kann Auflösung auch eine andere Größe genutzt werden:

"Force no Seamless:" erzwingen:

[Virtual Channels\Seamless Windows]

TWIMode=0

Fenstergröße anpassen:

vergrößern

[Virtual Channels\Thinwire Graphics]

DesiredColor=8

ApproximateColors=*

DesiredHRES=1024

DesiredVRES=768

ScreenPercent=*

UseFullScreen=false

TWIFullScreenMode=false

NoWindowManager=false

You don't have to make all those changes but definitely make it run in windowed mode in whatever resolution you desire and it should work.

[0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/icaclient/?setlang=el&O=20&PP=10

• Like 2

The same for me at Manjaro linux (Arch fork)

Had to downgrade following packages to 1.19.6-2

extra/xorg-server 1.20.1-1 (xorg) [installed: 1.19.6-2]
extra/xorg-server-common 1.20.1-1 (xorg) [installed: 1.19.6-2]
extra/xorg-server-devel 1.20.1-1 (xorg) [installed: 1.19.6-2]
extra/xorg-server-xvfb 1.20.1-1 (xorg) [installed: 1.19.6-2]

On 1.6.2019 at 11:24 AM, obadz obadz said:

So 1 year since this bug has been reported still no word from Citrix.

At this point, all Linux distros (except Debian Stable) have upgraded to Xorg 1.20 which means Receiver can't be used in full-screen anywhere.

https://repology.org/project/xorg-server/versions shows the Xorg version for each distro.

sad but true. looks like Citrix just gives a f... 

no full screen also means no key combinations, no <ctrl>-C, <ctrl>-V and so on... which is a real PITA, or does anybody know of a workaround ?

19 minutes ago, Robert Breithuber1709159692 said:

sad but true. looks like Citrix just gives a f... 

no full screen also means no key combinations, no <ctrl>-C, <ctrl>-V and so on... which is a real PITA, or does anybody know of a workaround ?

My workaround is to keep running xorg 1.19.6 (on NixOS this is relatively easy to do, but I'd still rather use the latest version).

10 hours ago, Robert Breithuber1709159692 said:

Hmm. Copy/Paste with the typical combinations (ctrl C / ctrl V / CTRL Instert / Shift Insert) works here even if not in full screen. Maybe because of ...

• ~/.ICAClient/All_Regions.ini :
[Virtual Channels\Clipboard]
ClipboardAllowed=*

Just an assumption.

On 3.6.2019 at 10:44 AM, Wolf Zieger said:

Hmm. Copy/Paste with the typical combinations (ctrl C / ctrl V / CTRL Instert / Shift Insert) works here even if not in full screen. Maybe because of ...

• ~/.ICAClient/All_Regions.ini :

[Virtual Channels\Clipboard]
ClipboardAllowed=*

Just an assumption.

this is exactly whats in my configfile too, and my behaviour is still different.

but anyhow, i just gave it another try and it seems i am now able to switch to fullscreen again without problems, wohoo! :dance: :)

running: 

xorg-server 1.20.5

gnome-shell 3.32.2

nvidia 435.21

icaclient 19.08