Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Receiver Connection interrupted - Adaptive Transport

Eduard Hübner

Question

We're experiencing this kind of issue since a couple of weeks.

We used Adaptive Transport with XA 7.17 and Receiver 4.11 (it started already with 4.10.1).

On Win7 and 10 clients.

Ping, DNS, Citrix Base URL, IE Proxy and Security Config is ok.

Voice is also running on UDP on our WAN lines with same priority level.

VoIP is pretty good without interruption. So I assume the line shouldn't be the source of this issue.

Users are getting Connection interrupted notfication and Receiver Windows start counting down froom 5Minutes. But never reconnects by itself.

Sesssion Reliability is turned on.

The only workaround we found is moving back to TCP by disabling EDT.

We are not really sure, but it seems, this behaviour started with 7.17.

And with 7.17 the Adaptive Transport was changed to be able getting UDP working again, even if Fallback to TCP was done.

Anyone with similar exeperiences or tips how to solve?

9 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Leon Poortvliet said:

A few hours in, and the users have not experienced since the change.

Glad to hear that.

But now the big question would be: WHY?!

I see very big problems, finding a fix, even with Citrix Support.

Had a similar issue with UDP on Server 2008 R2. Never found a solution :-/

The problems started for us with the installation of the March cumulative Windows update. At the time there were two, one of which is a permanent servicing stack update (non-removable). These updates caused networking issues on a lot of machines and maybe a side effect is affecting UDP/EDT.

Another post (https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/394558-occasional-protocol-driver-error-edt-enabled-715-cu1/) has similar issues and mentions that WS2016 based VDA machines did not show this issue. Maybe the combo updated WS2008R2 and XA 7.15 and higher causes UDP to intermittently fail?

We are also receiving the "Connection Interrupted" error with EDT enabled. We are running XenApp Server VDA with 7.17 infrastructure, 7.18 VDA, and 4.12 Receiver. I have also observed the issue starting at or around 7.17. The only workaround is to disable EDT in Policy. 

Besides missing the obvious benefit of EDT, is there any other concerns with disabling EDT? 

6 minutes ago, Larry Hallas1709158223 said:

We are also receiving the "Connection Interrupted" error with EDT enabled. We are running XenApp Server VDA with 7.17 infrastructure, 7.18 VDA, and 4.12 Receiver. I have also observed the issue starting at or around 7.17. The only workaround is to disable EDT in Policy. 

Besides missing the obvious benefit of EDT, is there any other concerns with disabling EDT? 

Disabling EDT shouldn't bring up negative side effects. The only point could be, that your sessions will consume more bandwidth. But this is only theory. We've never seen a "big" difference.

But as said, disabling EDT will not solve this for sure.

We still had the issue. Citrix Case is ongoing.

So far no solution available.

Currently Citrix Support confirms that the hole connection is dropped by the VDA, even if connecting a telnet!!!!

But so far they say, they need a Trace of the first drop. And this have to be catched trought scheduled tracing...

Since I configured the tracing from bootup of VDAs we didn't had interrupts again.

sad. :-/

I upgraded to 1903 and the latest 12.1 firmware.  The inability to reconnect is gone.  I still get odd screen flashes and checking the netscaler I see it is still creating new udp channels, but it is clearing out the old ones.

So they are closer....but still not 100%  ;)

Also ADM is now gathering udp connection info correctly.

Update:

Spoke too soon.  Got some UDP traffic, but once session reconnected it stopped gathering data.