Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Continued problems with black screen at session start with Windows 10

Kevin Miller

Question

Hello all. Looking for some advice. 

We have a problem when a user launches a XenDesktop (7.17) and Windows 10 (1607) session the Windows shell does not load and presents a black screen. You can interact with Explorer via the task manager. There doesn't appear to be anything in the UPM or Windows logs that indicate an issue.

Adding AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches to the UPM Directories to synchronize policy does not solve the problem. (https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenapp-and-xendesktop/current-release/whats-new/fixed-issues.html) #LC9215

I would appreciate any help you may have. So far Citrix support doesn't have an answer.

Below are the exclusions/synchronizations I have set.

Directories to syncronize:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches

Exclusion files:

*thumb*.db, *icon*.db

Exclusion Directories:

$Recycle.Bin
OneDrive
Dropbox
ShareFile
AppData\Local\Assembly\dl3
AppData\Local\ATT Connect
AppData\Local\Comms
AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations
AppData\Local\Dropbox
AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache
AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR-v4.0_32
AppData\Local\Microsoft\GameDVR
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Group Policy
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger
AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive
AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\OfficeFileCache
AppData\Local\Microsoft\PlayReady
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache.old
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\PriCache
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\1033
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Notifications
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Ringtones
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\RoamingTiles
AppData\Local\Packages
AppData\Local\Skype
AppData\Local\Sun
AppData\Local\Temp
AppData\LocalLow
AppData\Roaming\Citrix\PNAgent\AppCache
AppData\Roaming\Citrix\PNAgent\Icon Cache
AppData\Roaming\Citrix\PNAgent\ResourceCache
AppData\Roaming\com.adobe.formscentral.FormsCentralForAcrobat
AppData\Roaming\Dropbox
AppData\Roaming\ICAClient\Cache
AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys
AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData
AppData\Roaming\Sharefile\Outlook
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Powerpoint
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\LiveContent
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Dropbox
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word
AppData\Roaming\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
AppData\Roaming\Sun\Java\Deployment\log
AppData\Roaming\Sun\Java\Deployment\tmp
AppData\Roaming\Sun\Java\Deployment

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello.

As per my exclusions I followed Carl's recommendations including James Rankin's longer list. I have not added Rankin's directory/file synchronization recommendations. I will try these as soon as I put my kids to bed later tonight. While troubleshooting I removed the recommended synchronizations before I discovered Citrix's recommendation to add AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches. Fingers crossed this will solve the problem.

The problem still is still present if the account is an admin\restricted, RDP/ICA, and via the console.

Kevin.

I've struggled with almost the same issue last couple of days. 7.17 VDA but with WinSrv2016 XA (Published dekstop). Not sure if you have a testing machine with the error kept, but try to kill the AppReadiness Service/Exe and see if the session "starts" after that.

For me I get to the session but the universal apps does not work (I.e. Start menu, date/time, settings etc.).

If you check for the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppReadiness is it even there? When the issue occurs for me I can verify that sessions will be black/blank even before starting a test-session - when the key is gone.

I can also see that user-specific keys (SID) under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore are also gone.

Another indicator that something is wrong is that I cannot reinstall AppX-packages when the VDA is broken. On the same VDA i can reinstall all packages prefectly fine before "something" with UPM occurs and breaks the machine.

I'm using MCS so a recreation of the machine from the master works. But unfortunately it does only work work X hours, then the issue comes back.

For now it seems that disabling UPM on the 7.17 VDA before the VDA is "broken" makes everything else work, but without UPM.

Will follow this with interest.

Adam

We have been struggling with the black screen on 7.17 VDA with WinSrv2016 XA (Published desktop) as well. 

We also noticed that HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\AppReadiness key goes missing and that is when the black screens start. We exported that key from a working backup of the server and imported it into a broken server. Rebooted the server and the issue was fixed for awhile until the key gets deleted again. 

Built a new WinSrv2016 XA with 7.15 CU2 VDA. Black screen issue / missing registry keys happened within an hour of the server go live.

Trying 7.15 CU1 VDA as posted above to see if that avoids the black screen issue.

Currently have a script running every five minutes to check 7.17 VDAs for missing reg keys. When missing reg keys are detected, scripts put servers in maintenance mode, replaces the reg keys from a previous working export,  messages the users with active sessions, and reboots the server 10 minutes later.

We have this problem also, thank you very much for the hint with the App Readiness Key.

We disabled the App Readiness Service which seems to work so far.

Waiting for a fix from Citrix.

Version 7.17 and Server 2016 latest release (1607)

We also have Win10 Desktops on 1709 with VDA 7.17 and HDX3D Pro but the problem doesn't happen here so far.

4 minutes ago, James Richards1709158136 said:

Hi

Windows 2016 with CU2 here, same problem.

Our ticket, 77365809.  We're pushing for a resolution this evening.   This tweet says we might be able to use CU2 with CU1 UPM. 

https://twitter.com/cstalhood/status/988958942138118150

No idea how we install that combo,  Citrix are looking into it.  Any ideas?  

You're probably going to have to use the 7.15.0 one rather than CU1. Uninstall the VDA. Install the 7.15 VDA as you normally would, including UPM. Then to update to CU2, instead of using the ISO, use the standalone VDA installer, and run with:

/exclude "Citrix User Profile Manager","Citrix User Profile Manager WMI Plugin"

Escalation support just replied to my ticket requesting that we disable the AppReadiness service as per:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX216590

For the last 30 days we have been telling support that disabling AppReadiness only kind of works.

If you disable the AppReadiness service you will most likely have a broken start menu and Windows updates will only work some of the time.