Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Session Printers not showing in Control Panel XA7.16

Ollie Oyediran

Question

Hello Everyone, so I have this issue where after performing an upgrade from XA 7.14 to 7.16. Session printers from my Print Server are not showing up in each user Session's Control Panel but if you try to print from a Office document, the printers are listed in there. Has anyone encountered this issue?. This morning I had to restart UPS for the printers to show up in Office but still cannot view them in Control Panel. Checked my settings over and over again. 

Please help. 

10 answers to this question

Hi Marco, I ran your command as advised (Thanks for that) and I can definitely see all my printers mapped from the Print Server. The thing is all those printers (FROM THE PRINT SERVER) are not showing up in Control Panel > Device and Printers. I can only see my client Printer which is already mapped per policy setting.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:15 PM, Marco Hofmann said:

Honestly I have this problem since Server 2012 R2 generally. With or without XenApp. Internet is full of complaints. 

Have you tried the classic printer view?

Start -> Run -> C:\Windows\explorer.exe ::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}

See if the printers are visible there. 

You could make a public shortcut out of this. 

--
Marco Hofmann
https://www.meinekleinefarm.net/

Thanks for that Marco - was banging my head for a while on this. For convenience, here are the related articles:

Printers are not visible from Devices And Printers on Windows 2012 or 2012 R2 servers

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX213540

Printer managed by custom print providers is not visible in Devices and Printers in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2966038/printer-managed-by-custom-print-providers-is-not-visible-in-devices-an

On 1.2.2018 at 1:50 AM, Ollie Oyediran said:

Hi Marco, I ran your command as advised (Thanks for that) and I can definitely see all my printers mapped from the Print Server. The thing is all those printers (FROM THE PRINT SERVER) are not showing up in Control Panel > Device and Printers. I can only see my client Printer which is already mapped per policy setting.

We've got the same problem. Only locally installed printers are shown under "Device and Printers", no printers from printserver (using Citrix UPS).

With the classic printer view we can see all of our printers (we used this a long time until now). But the problem is that we are using a third-party .net-Application which also only shows the local printers in the printing dialogue, no network-printers.

Printing from Word, Outlook and other third-party apps is not affected.

The Microsoft-Hotfix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2966038/printer-managed-by-custom-print-providers-is-not-visible-in-devices-an

and the workaround from Citrix https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX213540

didn't help us. Citrix says in the KB-Article

If the Microsoft hotfix or this work-around does not work for your environment contact Microsoft for further assistance.

but the professional support could not help us - they only told us to use the classic shell (you can also edit some HKCU-Regkeys to open the classic printer view by default) or to open a new "premier-support-ticket".

Citrix says under "known issues" of 7.15 CU1

Universal Print Server printers selected on the virtual desktop do not appear in the Devices and Printers window in Windows Control Panel. However, when users are working in applications, they can print using those printers. This issue occurs only on the Windows Server 2012, Windows 10 and Windows 8 platforms. For more information, see Knowledge Center article CTX213540. [#335153]

So I think there is no solution for this issue.

Any other ideas / workarounds?

Philipp

4 minutes ago, Philipp Bönisch said:

but the professional support could not help us - they only told us to use the classic shell (you can also edit some HKCU-Regkeys to open the classic printer view by default)

I wrote a blog post about classic shell:

https://www.meinekleinefarm.net/example-gpo-how-we-use-classic-shell-as-a-start-menu-replacement-in-citrix-xenapp-deployments/

If you have WEM licensed, Classic Shell makes a lot more fun than modern start menu. 

But concerning your question, the fixes also didn't work for us. We never found a solution. I always tell the customers to use:

Start -> Run -> C:\Windows\explorer.exe ::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}

As a Desktop Shortcut for example. 

16 minutes ago, Marco Hofmann said:

I wrote a blog post about classic shell:

https://www.meinekleinefarm.net/example-gpo-how-we-use-classic-shell-as-a-start-menu-replacement-in-citrix-xenapp-deployments/

If you have WEM licensed, Classic Shell makes a lot more fun than modern start menu.

Looks nice!

We never found a solution

Did you have opened a ticket at citrix for this issue? What was the answer?

Until now we didn't do that but maybe it will be helpful.

Hey guys, late to the party here, but do people still have the issue on Server 2016? I am able to re-create it on that OS as well. All forum and KB posts refer to 2012/2012R2 that I've run across. Marco's solution works well. Is there any way to make that the view when the user navigates to "Devices and Printers"? Also, the "Default Printer" setting object & Print queues item in device manager are also affected with this as well.

I've opened up a ticket w/Citrix on this. Even if you map the network printer on the endpoint and re-direct to the VM, it doesn't show. Only the "Citrix Universal Printer", if chosen to create, will show up in these areas. It's not plausible to use though, because it can't be marked as a default.

In my case the solution came down to missing services running on my XenDesktop servers due to hardening the servers prior to provisioning them. I ran a couple of hardening scripts, which disabled a lot of so-called unnecessary services which resulted in the aforementioned issue. The affected services are:

• Device Install Service (DeviceInstall)
  • Device Management Enrollment Service (DmEnrollmentSvc)
  • Device Setup Manager (DsmSvc)

They were disabled and I had to revert them to the default setting, i.e. 

• Device Install Service (DeviceInstall) | Manual (Trigger Start)
  • Device Management Enrollment Service (DmEnrollmentSvc) | Manual 
  • Device Setup Manager (DsmSvc) | Manual (Trigger Start)

After resetting the services via Group Policy everything worked as expected.

Kind regards
Alex

On 8/29/2018 at 1:28 PM, Alexander Ollischer1709156587 said:

In my case the solution came down to missing services running on my XenDesktop servers due to hardening the servers prior to provisioning them. I ran a couple of hardening scripts, which disabled a lot of so-called unnecessary services which resulted in the aforementioned issue. The affected services are:

• Device Install Service (DeviceInstall)
  • Device Management Enrollment Service (DmEnrollmentSvc)
  • Device Setup Manager (DsmSvc)

They were disabled and I had to revert them to the default setting, i.e. 

• Device Install Service (DeviceInstall) | Manual (Trigger Start)
  • Device Management Enrollment Service (DmEnrollmentSvc) | Manual 
  • Device Setup Manager (DsmSvc) | Manual (Trigger Start)

After resetting the services via Group Policy everything worked as expected.

Kind regards
Alex

Thanks, putting the Device Setup Manager back to Manual fixed my issue!