Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Grey border around ICA session desktops

Ross Faverty1709158252

Question

Myself and Citrix Support are struggling with this so I thought that I would post here on the off chance someone else has experienced the same issue as we are or at least maybe can suggest something that we havent already looked at. 

We recently setup Nutanix based ESXi hosts with an M60-1Q Grid card. 

We brought over a single golden image (Win7) from our old PoC Nutanix system, removed the NVIDIA drivers and installed the drivers for the new card then spun up a MCS machine catalog from that image.

That image works perfectly and is now in production. The PoC Nutanix system is gone now. 

We recently created a PVS vDisk (Win7) and spun up machines to utilize it on the new ESXi environment. We cloned to template from the master image that we used on the MCS image. However, after publishing the desktops and accessing them in an ICA session they launched with a grey border that would not disappear even when launching in full screen mode - only if we decreased the size of the windows to a size smaller than the area of the grey border. 

We checked to ensure the grid card drivers were installed, ensured the VM's had the grid card added and that there were no anomalies with the VM's in general. We found that the resolution would max out at 1366 x 768 despite the NVIDIA VGX being assigned to the display. On the working VM's the resolution maxed out at 1920 x 1080.

At this point I feel it would be a good time to mention that all of the VM's (grey border or not) have VDA 7.11 with HDX 3D Pro installed. We used various versions of receiver (from 4.6-9) on end points. We also tried using VDA 7.15 but got the same grey border.

We disabled all Citrix display adapters but this made no change or resulted in a full grey screen. 

We created a brand new template and spun up new VM's via MCS but still got the grey border. We also utilize AppLayering and used a connector from that ESXi environment and got the same grey border on a published image.

The only time we do not grey border is if we re-use the original master image that was transferred over from the old system and publish it out via MCS. 

We had a mini break through while troubleshooting with Citrix support in that if we do not install HDX 3D Pro when installing VDA 7.11 or 7.15 we do not get the grey border but that is not a viable option for us as we need to utilize the graphics acceleration for our CAD software.

When HDX is installed we can confirm that Montereyenable.exe -checkstatus shows enabled.

We have gone through permissions/policies and confirmed that all machines despite being in different OU's are getting the same policies applied. We have also moved machines between OU's and/or Delivery Groups and tested and found no change in above mentioned behavior. 

We have tested from multiple endpoints with multiple users and continue to get the grey border accept on that original master image. 

Also, we do not get the grey border in RDP sessions to the VM's in any of the machine catalogs - we only get the grey border in an ICA provisioned session.

Questions/suggestions greatly appreciated. Please forgive me if I have left something out - its been a long couple weeks working on this.

Ross

5 answers to this question

Hello Ross,

can you check the licensing of the Nvidia Grid Card. I had the same issue, when the grid driver was unable to get a license of the NVIDIA Grid Licensing Server.

the Master Image get a license and any other machines deployed via PVS or MCS was unable to get a license.

Can you post the output of the command nvidia-smi on the HyperVisor?

best regards

Martin

• Like 2

Hello Ross,

can you check the licensing of the Nvidia Grid Card. I had the same issue, when the grid driver was unable to get a license of the NVIDIA Grid Licensing Server.

the Master Image get a license and any other machines deployed via PVS or MCS was unable to get a license.

Can you post the output of the command nvidia-smi on the HyperVisor?

best regards

Martin

YES!!!! 

The license info was not configured on the master image and after doing that and spinning up a test VM the grey border was gone! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!