Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Application shortcut not pinned to Start Menu

Oliver Wöll

Question

We are using WEM 4.4 on a Windows Server 2016 VDA 7.15.

Application Icons should be managed through Actions and Assignments.

Start Menu icon is created successfully but pinning icon to the Start Menu fails.

In debug log there is the following entry:

VuemApplicationExecutor.ExecuteCreateApplicationShortcut() : Application -> Wordpad (Id:10006) -> Pin To Start Menu failed. Application was not found on the client side.

The logged in user is able to start the application with the full URL which was used for creating the Start Menu shortcut.

No Start Menu folder redirection is used.

Clearing the Norskale cache does not solve this issue.

How can we solve the problem?

21 answers to this question

is there any update on this wem issue? i see that on wem 4.5 this is not realy working, i get same exceptions in the wem.log as before, so startmenue on right side, is completly random :(

log file:

14:21:16 Exception -> VuemApplicationExecutor.DoPinToStartMenu() : Application -> Control Panel (Id:83) -> Error while Pinning Shortcut to Start Menu...
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing HashTags -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing User Attributes -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing Printer Attributes -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing User Parent OU -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing with Registry Entry -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing with Xml Value -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing with Ini Value -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing Simple String Operations -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing Split Operations -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing String Operations -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> DynamicTokensController.ReplaceDynamicTokens() : Replacing SubString Operations -> no match found for : C:\Windows\System32\control.exe
14:21:16 Event -> VuemApplicationExecutor.ProcessVuemAppAutoLaunch() : Application -> Control Panel (Id:83) -> AutoLaunch Disabled : Exiting

There is definitely an issue. Pinning is completely hit and miss. I have success as long as a log off happens post assignment l, but cannot assign and pin during an active session, however manually pinning is fine. The same for Windows 10 with wem 4.4 and the new preview release.

I've tried tracing but cannot see anything of relevance, I see the tilelayerdata stuff get hit on wem refresh but it's not happy

The complete randomness of how the tiles splat around the start menu is also horrible

can you please send me an RSOP from your environments - i would like to see what GPO's are in play - particularly around start menu and taskbar

if you can also send me some screen dumps of your WEM config for processing, particularly around Environmental Settings - Start Menu, and all tabs under Advanced Settings - Configuration

feel free to private IM me the details

@james: no i only publish every app only once. no other applications with same path

@oliver: ok, that sounds interessting, i only have all UPM GPO Settings now in WEM, and some normal Citrix Computer GPO´s and one GPO for the APPS like Adobe Reader and Office 2016

what i make in my MasterImage is, that i create startlayout.xml file only with "This PC", "Control Panel" and "Windows Explorer" and import that do the Default User, maybe this can be also a problem. as i write yesterday, on our customer we have also the same problem when we Pin Icon to Taskbar. 

hope @oliver and Citrix Support have some good news this week :)

regards

I just opened a Citrix case and our troubleshootings with Citrix Support showed some problems with GPO´s. Removing all GPO´s let WEM working as expected. We are not redirecting Start Menu path and we are not using different applications with same path.

Currently I am trying to find the setting in the GPO which is responsible for this issue.

Is there any chance you have the same application defined twice? Or at least different applications with the same path

I have noticed in Server 2016 (haven't tested windows 10 yet) that if you define 2 applications within WEM with the same path details, yet different names, and then assign them, only one instance will ever land in the start menu 

I cant reproduce the exact same error as you, and my icon pinning is working as expected, but its worth noting

are you redirecting start menu's or anything like that?

Archived