Expanding Volumes of Windows Server 2012R2 VM

Started by Steven Hoong , 13 September 2017 - 05:49 PM
7 replies to this topic

Steven Hoong Members

Steven Hoong
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of a way where I can expand the C:/ of Windows Server2012R2 greater than 2TB?

I have volumes attached to XenServer via NFS and it hits a limit of 2TB. What I want to do attach multiple 2TB disks to the VM and have the Windows Server read it all as one giant volume.

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,718 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

Not currently as a single native volume, since VHDX is not currently supported. As to making it work internally, leveraging Windows capabilities, that's a really good question!!! If each is treated as a separate VDI, you may be able to make it work. For Linux boxes, there are ways to connect external storage directly to VMs and bypass the SR mechanism altogether, but I have no idea how that might be possible within a Windows environment.

-=Tobias

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 7,294 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

You could probably stripe several of them vdi's to make a giant drive, but the down side is if something goes wrong with one you lose them all and a giant drive becomes hard to back up as well, keep that in mind. If I need something large like that I just directly connect the VM to an iSCSI LUN that should be able to exceed 2TB. If your stuck with NFS maybe striping across multiple disks is the best option.

--Alan--

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,718 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

An external NFS mount directly to the VM should work, as well as it does for iSCSI.  I've done that only under Linux for both cases, so YMMV for Windows...

-=Tobias

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 7,294 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

Duh !! Yea, it will for NFS as well as I even do this myself for backups ! Just wasn't thinking about it, I had LUN's on the brain.

--Alan--

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,718 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

"LUNs on the Brain" -- great name for a punk music group! :D :P

Steven Hoong Members

Steven Hoong
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

ok, i think i will have to go with the striped route. I'm not too worried about losing a disk as everything will be backed up nightly using unitrends.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 7,294 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

"LUNs on the Brain" has just released their first single --

"All you need is LUNs"

All you need is Luns, Luns, 

Luns is all you need......

--Alan--