Photo

iOS apps: where are they stored?

Started by Adam Leinss , 13 September 2017 - 04:22 PM
2 replies to this topic

Best Answer Nicolas Lemaire , 14 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

Hello Adam,

I would definitely push to use VPP based on the scenario you are describing - much more efficient and easy to manage than having raw IPA files that need to be manually updated all the time...

To answer your questions:

1- If using VPP, then the device downloads the app directly from the iOS App Store. IPA files will be stored and downloaded directly from XMS if you use raw IPA files

2- There is a background task that runs several times a day on XMS to query VPP servers for any new app that might need to be added to the app inventory on the XMS side. Can't remember the timing but it's done quite frequently.

3- That's not a very common use case so I'm not quite sure what will happen. It's better to test this yourself on a device to make sure what happens here. If I had to guess, since it's the same app they should share the same AppID, so iOS shouldn't allow you to install the app twice - I would assume the first app gets overwritten by the VPP one. Difficult to say, needs to be tested.

4- Yes, if you leverage DEP and VPP together. Here's a good 3rd party article about this (a bit old but still applies) https://www.antonvanpelt.com/zero-touch-installation-ios-xenmobile/

Basically, you enroll your device to XMS via DEP, turn on supervision of the device, and then deploy Secure Hub as a required VPP app via the DEP delivery group created by DEP on your XMS. But as you said, no guarantees that will still work on XM9.

Hope that helps.

Nicolas

Adam Leinss Members

Adam Leinss
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Currently I am working on standing up a Xenmobile 10 server.  I am new to this company and the way they had Xenmobile 9 setup was that they would download the IPA file directly from Apple and then load this file directly into the server for each application they want deployed.  They want this method of loading/deploying apps setup in the same way on the new server.  I have done this and it appears to work as it did in Xenmobile 9. 

I am trying to present a business case of using the Apple VPP store instead of using these IPA files directly since they are just free apps to begin with (for obvious reasons such as having to manually keep the IPA files up-to-date) and some of the questions that came up were:

1. Where are the apps from the Apple VPP store stored?  Is a copy of the IPA (app) placed on the virtual Xenmobile appliance or is this application pulled through SecureHub directly from the Apple VPP store? (we disable the native Apple app store and force users to go through SecureHub).

2. How often is the Xenmobile virtual appliance "polling" the Apple VPP store for updates?

3. If we deploy the Xenmobile 10 server today using manual IPA files and then later switch over to using the Apple VPP store, what kind of issues are we going to run into?  If I have a Facebook IPA file that I loaded manually onto the server and later load the Facebook app from the VPP store, does the user get 2 Facebook icons on their phone?  Does one overtake the other if both are deployed to a phone?

4. Can SecureHub be deployed from XenMobile 9? (I realize XM9 is EOL, so no one probably will answer this)

Thanks,

Adam

Nicolas Lemaire Citrix Employees

Nicolas Lemaire
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

Hello Adam,

I would definitely push to use VPP based on the scenario you are describing - much more efficient and easy to manage than having raw IPA files that need to be manually updated all the time...

To answer your questions:

1- If using VPP, then the device downloads the app directly from the iOS App Store. IPA files will be stored and downloaded directly from XMS if you use raw IPA files

2- There is a background task that runs several times a day on XMS to query VPP servers for any new app that might need to be added to the app inventory on the XMS side. Can't remember the timing but it's done quite frequently.

3- That's not a very common use case so I'm not quite sure what will happen. It's better to test this yourself on a device to make sure what happens here. If I had to guess, since it's the same app they should share the same AppID, so iOS shouldn't allow you to install the app twice - I would assume the first app gets overwritten by the VPP one. Difficult to say, needs to be tested.

4- Yes, if you leverage DEP and VPP together. Here's a good 3rd party article about this (a bit old but still applies) https://www.antonvanpelt.com/zero-touch-installation-ios-xenmobile/

Basically, you enroll your device to XMS via DEP, turn on supervision of the device, and then deploy Secure Hub as a required VPP app via the DEP delivery group created by DEP on your XMS. But as you said, no guarantees that will still work on XM9.

Hope that helps.

Nicolas

Best Answer

Adam Leinss Members

Adam Leinss
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Nicolas!