Photo

New users unable to connect to app on Xenapp

Started by Simon Peart , 12 September 2017 - 12:23 PM
5 replies to this topic

Simon Peart Members

Simon Peart
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Guy who setup and configured our new externally facing Xen Server is on holiday at the moment so not sure what i'm missing.

Trying to configure a new user to access an application through the Xenapp web interface.  I've managed to publish the application to the user but it keeps coming up with an error stating -

"unable to launch application...Cannot connect to the Citrix Xenapp Server. There is no Citrix Xenapp Server configured for the specified address".

The error comes up as soon as you select the icon to run the application after logging onto the Xenapp web login.  It works for other users that were configured before but any new users, including myself who's configured as a domain admin, get this error.

It happens when connecting both from a desktop within the same subnet and domain as the server and also when accessing from externally as well through the internet, like i said above, works absolutely fine for pre-existing users.

Citrix Receiver 4.9 is installed and Citrix Studio 7.6.0.5029 is on the server.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,275 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Are the new users in the "Remote Desktop Users" local group on the VDA?

How is Remote Desktop Licensing configured? Per User, I hope?

This is an existing VDA? Or did you build new VDAs?

Simon Peart Members

Simon Peart
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

Thank you for the reply.

1. All accounts are members of the Domain Users group which is part of the Remote Desktop Users group on the server, i've added a couple of the users into it as direct members and same issue.  Just a side note, i've discovered that i'm also effected by the issue and i'm also a member of the domain admin group and i'm not a new user, however, i've never needed to access the external facing Citrix server before, only the internally facing Citrix servers which all work fine for me.

2. There are 30 licenses assigned to the server, license model states to be Concurrent and currently states that 3 are in use, this is when looking at Licensing under the Configuration Tab within Citrix Studio.  I've linked an image as to what the License Administration Console reports.  The RD Licensing Manager, there are 20 2012 Per User CALs

3. By VDA i presume you mean Citrix Server.  It's been up and running for a few months now.  It is working for some users externally but not others and i've tried both from inside the domain/subnet and outside.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,275 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

Group Policy was configured to point the VDA to RDS Licensing Servers. The Group Policy also dictates the Licensing Model, which I hope is "Per User". Please double-check that. http://www.carlstalh...r/#rdplicensing

Simon Peart Members

Simon Peart
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

Checking those settings in both the local policy and group policy, it isn't set for our internal Citrix servers that have been working fine for a good while or from the external Citrix server.  The external server is the license server for itself.  I did do a reboot of the server yesterday afternoon and with no body connected at all, it still didn't work for the same users whilst other users were able to log in fine this morning to the apps.

Another issue, might be related, is that one of the effected users can't RDP to the server, it just disconnects them immediately with no error, no error in the event logs either other than a Log Off event.  I can log into the server fine with my domain login.

Other things i've tried is to do a copy of an AD account that did work to see if the copy works and it doesn't.  A few people have had this issue with certain versions of Citrix Receiver, i've tried both 4.5 and 4.9, and i've removed all of the security software from both my machine and the server as well and no different.

edit: Just checked the RD Licensing Diagnoser.  Number of available licenses is 15 and they're Per User.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,275 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

RDP connections from non-administrators requires the users to belong to the local group on the VDA named Direct Access Users.