citrix receiver 4.9 desktop icons flickering

Started by Justin Zhang , 05 September 2017 - 02:28 AM
8 replies to this topic

Justin Zhang Members

Justin Zhang
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:28 AM

Hello,

We lately installed 4.9 on Windows 10, 1607 Build 14393.1593. One annoying thing happened afterwards, the desktop icons and status bar of OS started flickering time to time, especially when receiver got icons presented in its window, I am pretty sure it's connected to receiver 4.9 installation. it never happen w/ 4.4

I made some Google, tons of complains about Windows 10 icons flickering, connecting to diff soft wares, like iTunes, Symantec Antivirus etc...

I wonder anyone encounter similar symptom and any suggestion/help would be highly appreciated!

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,283 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

Icons are flickering inside a Remote Desktop session? Or are icons flickering on the local client machine? Is your published desktop running Windows 10?

moloyt Citrix Employees

Moloy Tandon
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

In addition to what Carl suggested, I'd also test with Windows 10 Creator Update version 1703 (Build 15063.540)

Justin Zhang Members

Justin Zhang
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:22 AM

thanks for your replies! sorry for late response...

I didnt have any session connected, either ICA or RDP. the problem is that the receiver 4.9 running on Windows 10 1607 14393.1593 make icons on status bar and desktop flickering on local machine. it happens while receiver retrive icons( shortcuts) as well as receiver running backend, I just write emails.

I've opened case w/ Citrix tech and case been escalted, but from what i talk w/ tech, i dont feel anything promising so far. one thing was interesting in test. it seems like it only happens when receiver connecting to WebInterface 5.4 not with Storefront 3.x

I will upgrade Win10 to 1703 to see how it works.

Thomas Mora Members

Thomas Mora
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

We noticed this issue as well when we upgraded from Citrix Receiver 4.4 to 4.7. Are you using folder redirection? For us, the issue only occured the first time the end user logged in after the upgrade and the Citrix Receiver icons were refreshed. It seems like Receiver is updating each icon one at a time and for each icon that gets updated it refreshes the explorer window so your desktop and start menu keep flashing.

For us, this was lasting for up to a couple of minutes, however we needed to deploy this update to resolve another issue so we just pushed it as is since it only happened the first time you logged in.

I wasn't able to recreate the issue on a user without folder redirection.

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,283 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

Maybe this? https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/386286-xenapp-71213-server-2016-desktop-icons-flickering/#entry1969505

Justin Zhang Members

Justin Zhang
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:27 AM

thanks. I saw this early and that GUID has been in place already when I checked by this thread...

Justin Zhang Members

Justin Zhang
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:52 AM

We noticed this issue as well when we upgraded from Citrix Receiver 4.4 to 4.7. Are you using folder redirection? For us, the issue only occured the first time the end user logged in after the upgrade and the Citrix Receiver icons were refreshed. It seems like Receiver is updating each icon one at a time and for each icon that gets updated it refreshes the explorer window so your desktop and start menu keep flashing.

For us, this was lasting for up to a couple of minutes, however we needed to deploy this update to resolve another issue so we just pushed it as is since it only happened the first time you logged in.

I wasn't able to recreate the issue on a user without folder redirection.

yes, same here. tested 4.7 & 8, same problem. I didn't say it as those are CRs, I wanted LTSR.

and you are right! it happens each time when receiver retrieve icons. I opened receiver verbose log, I can clearly see receiver re download icons time to time. so in my case, this flashing thing not only happens at start-off also during I am doing other things. which is quite annoying.

so I tried a couple of things, add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Citrix\Dazzle\refresh    36000000( 10 hours), RemoveAppsOnLogoff  RemoveAppsOnExit as False... all didn't help.... :(  the case is still on going with citrix tech.

Thomas Mora Members

Thomas Mora
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Justin,

Please post an update if you ever get this resolved with Citrix tech support. We are very interested in a solution.