Seamless Apps are partially black on initial launch on 2016 VDA

Started by Joe Robinson , 22 August 2017 - 03:47 PM
32 replies to this topic

Joe Robinson Moderators

Joe Robinson
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Good Morning:

I'm working towards migrating my VDAs to Server 2016 from 2012 R2.  I've run into a couple of problems, and this is one of my latest.

The problem is that, upon initial connection to the server, the seamless applications are displayed partially blacked out.  In the attached picture you can see Outlook and Word open, but the applications are unusable because 75% of the screen is blacked out.  The applications still respond to keyboard and mouse input, including portions of the screen that are blacked out.

The issue does not happen every launch.  While demonstrating to Citrix, it took me 4-5 times of logging off and on to the server to reproduce the issue.  It doesn't appear to be related to the user having a profile on the machine (using UPM).  This issue happened on 7.14, and still happens on 7.15.

This is not the other black screen issue where the logonui is displayed as a black window during the logon progress bar, this is different.  However, the fixes for that are in place and that issue is no longer occurring.

The quick fix for this is to use the Reciever to disconnect and then reconnect by opening an application (even the same app works).  Once the user is reconnected, the applications behave as expected.

Anyone else experiencing this?  

Attached Thumbnails

• blackWindowProblem.png

Joseph Robinson Members

Joseph Robinson
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

I verified this also happens if you serve up a desktop.  It's not isolated to just seamless applications.

Dennis Parker Members

Dennis Parker
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

Been having similar issues since 7.12 and have been hoping the 7.15/MS fix was going to help the issue. I did put in a strange work-around for my environment that makes no sense. I have documented in other threads as well...

Could not ever duplicate the issue running ProcMon, so I had started running that on the server all the time, but the performance hit was too extreme. Found that another server, our first in the environment never had the issue. The first (and only tested) difference found between the servers was FSLogix was installed. Installed FSLogix on the affected servers and the issue cleared up. I don't consider it fixed by any means. I haven't tested 7.15 yet, but based on this, I'm not hopeful.

Stefan Klauser Members

Stefan Klauser
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:36 AM

Hi

I worked with Citrix nearly 2 months on this issue.

There is the private fix LC7875.

This will fix the issue with 3/4 of the screen is black issue.

You need only this fix when the following is true:

- Windows Server 2016

- GPU activated

- GPO "Use the hardware default graphics adapter for all Remote Desktop Services sessions" active

In my environment the issue was with Published Desktops (we use only this). And always visible with Linux/Mac Receivers and only sometime with the Windows Receiver.

Unfortunately the fix is only for 7.14.1. Citrix is trying to get a fix for 7.15. I guess as more people has that problem as faster we get one.

Best regards

Steve

Mats Wallin Members

Mats Wallin
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:29 AM

We need this fix too for 7.15 pls.

/Mats

Daniel Szomboti Citrix Employees

Daniel Szomboti
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Hi guys. 

​Thals for bringing this up. We are already working on a private for 7.15. It is now being tested and in a couple of days ready to share.

​Please open a technical support case if you require this private in the meantime and referece LC7875. This fix did not make 7.15 because unfortunately there wasn't enough time to test and add it.  

​Thanks for your understanding!

Daniel 

Xavier Blackwood Members

Xavier Blackwood
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info as this was a major show stopper for Server 2016.

If my VDA is already 7.15, do I need to role back to 7.14.1 for this fix to work? I really don't care what VDA version is installed as long as this is resolved. Also when calling Citrix the techs really make it difficult to get LC7875, is there some keyword I have to use.

Thanks,

Xavier

Daniel Szomboti
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info as this was a major show stopper for Server 2016.

If my VDA is already 7.15, do I need to role back to 7.14.1 for this fix to work? I really don't care what VDA version is installed as long as this is resolved. Also when calling Citrix the techs really make it difficult to get LC7875, is there some keyword I have to use.

Thanks,

Xavier

Hi Xavi.

​In order to get the private for any of the version you will need a technical support case. (it is refunded)

​The fix seems to have been introduced in 7.13 so you will have to use either LTSR 7.6 or 7.12 for now. 

Regards,

Daniel

Xavier Blackwood Members

Xavier Blackwood
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

Hi Xavi.

​In order to get the private for any of the version you will need a technical support case. (it is refunded)

​The fix seems to have been introduced in 7.13 so you will have to use either LTSR 7.6 or 7.12 for now. 

Regards,

Daniel

Thanks Daniel,

I'm a little confused as to which VDA to re-install. Your first post said the fix only works for 7.14.1. I would prefer not to go all the way back to VDA 7.6 or 7.12.

Daniel Szomboti
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Thanks Daniel,

I'm a little confused as to which VDA to re-install. Your first post said the fix only works for 7.14.1. I would prefer not to go all the way back to VDA 7.6 or 7.12.

​Ok let's do a short recap :) 

​The private works only for 7.14(we have it ready) and 7.15(still testing it). To get any of these a technical support case is required.

​To not face the issue you need to go to 7.12, we do not have a private for 7.13 and will not provide one as that is a current release replaced by 7.14/7.15.

​Hope it makes sense.

​Daniel   

Xavier Blackwood Members

Xavier Blackwood
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

Okay so it works with 7.15, you just haven't fully tested it enough to say for sure. It definitely works for 7.14.1 and has been tested. Once I get it from tech support I will try on VDA 7.15 first. If i see any re-occurrence I will revert to 7.14.1.

Thanks,

Xavier

Martijn Kools Members

Martijn Kools
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Same issue here with published desktops on 2016, no GPU enabled. Haven't tested 7.15 yet but for some users the screen goes partially black. Weird thing is though it doesn't happen to everyone, even when they're on similar laptops with similar OS and Receiver version.

Daniel Szomboti
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Same issue here with published desktops on 2016, no GPU enabled. Haven't tested 7.15 yet but for some users the screen goes partially black. Weird thing is though it doesn't happen to everyone, even when they're on similar laptops with similar OS and Receiver version.

​Hi Martijn.

It might be you are facing a different issue altogether. Coudl it be something to do with the hardware decoding enabled by default in the latest Receivers? 

​What is different between the users that it happens and it doenst? 

​I would open a case either way because if you need the private, a case is needed and if you want to get to the bottom of the issue, a case is needed. 

​Daniel 

Martijn Kools Members

Martijn Kools
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

​Hi Martijn.

It might be you are facing a different issue altogether. Coudl it be something to do with the hardware decoding enabled by default in the latest Receivers? 

​What is different between the users that it happens and it doenst? 

​I would open a case either way because if you need the private, a case is needed and if you want to get to the bottom of the issue, a case is needed. 

​Daniel 

Yes it could be, I think it even started after Windows Updates, not after a VDA update. I will first test 7.15 with the latest MS updates, if that doesn't work I'll open a case.

And good question, I have no idea. They run the same OS, same updates, same Receiver version yet some have the issue while others don't. Perhaps it's related to something else like group permissions or something, I will try and copy an affected account and test. Maybe some GPOs are activated for some users and not for others.

Thanks.

RICH DYWIAK Members

RICH DYWIAK
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

CTX225819 says KB4034661 from MS.

Xavier Blackwood Members

Xavier Blackwood
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

Citrix support does not want to give me LC7875. I have uploaded multiple receiver/DDC traces and still yet no LC. This is really frustrating support.

Daniel Szomboti
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

Citrix support does not want to give me LC7875. I have uploaded multiple receiver/DDC traces and still yet no LC. This is really frustrating support.

Hi Xavier.

Do you have a support ticket open on this? If there is one, then they will give you the private.

However, remember you can't use this in production. We take no responsibility for side-effecs until it goes through full regression and QA testing.

Can you not wait on exisitng version until this is fixed properly?

Regards,

Daniel

Joe Robinson Moderators

Joe Robinson
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm a week into my ticket and still no hotfix...

And no, I can't wait for an existing version.  I was told this would be fixed with the other black screen issue, and it wasn't.  So now I'm stuck applying unsupported hotfixes to my production environment (assuming I can eventually get this elusive fix!)

Daniel Szomboti
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

I'm a week into my ticket and still no hotfix...

And no, I can't wait for an existing version.  I was told this would be fixed with the other black screen issue, and it wasn't.  So now I'm stuck applying unsupported hotfixes to my production environment (assuming I can eventually get this elusive fix!)

No private fix is supported for side-effects in production. Don't know why you were told otherwise....

Private File Disclaimer

This private fix (Private) was targeted only at your affected functionality, and regression and stress testing were minimal. Therefore, this fix might cause undesirable and unknown side effects. Introduce this Private to a test environment for evaluation before deploying it to a production environment. Your use of this Private is at your own risk.  TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, CITRIX AND ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE AND YOU RECEIVE NO WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE, AND CITRIX AND ITS SUPPLIERS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM WITH RESPECT TO THE PRIVATE ANY CONDITIONS OF QUALITY, AVAILABILITY, RELIABILITY, SECURITY, LACK OF VIRUSES, BUGS OR ERRORS, OR SUPPORT AND ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, QUIET POSSESSION, MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, NEITHER CITRIX, ITS SUPPLIERS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, MULTIPLE, PUNITIVE OR OTHER DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF INCOME, LOSS OF OPPORTUNITY, LOST PROFITS, COSTS OF RECOVERY OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES), HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, AND WHETHER OR NOT FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT CITRIX, ITS SUPPLIERS, OR LICENSORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Citrix offers no assurance that this Private will be incorporated into the commercial version of the associated Citrix product or that it will work with future versions of such product.

Joe Robinson Moderators

Joe Robinson
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

I'm not saying I was told a hotfix would be supported in production; I know it's not.  It's my choice to deploy it if I feel it's impact is worth the risk.  

What I'm saying is that I was told this issue (the 3/4 of the screen is black) would be resolved with the other black screen issue (where the logonui screen was displayed in all black).  That fix came out in 7.15, and it did not fix the issue even though it was hotfixed in 7.14.  So now we need to wait until 7.16, or use unsupported hotfixes.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!