Photo

Server 2016 redirected Start Menu items disappearing...

Started by Kevin Nickson , 11 August 2017 - 07:21 PM
2 replies to this topic

Kevin Nickson Members

Kevin Nickson
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

I redirect a Start Menu for our healthcare users so they should only see certain folders/programs in the Start Menu. For whatever reason, some of the items just don't show up at all. In addition, all of the installed programs show up and are merged with my redirected Start Menu. This apparently works way differently than on Server 2008 R2.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

SKlopp Members

Stefan Klopp
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

I am also working on a solution for a permission-controlled start menu with Server 2016.

In my production 2008r2 environment I also use Start Menu redirection with NTFS-permissions. I did some testing with Server 2016 ...

... some of the items just don't show up at all.

I didn't see something like this in my tests. Did you find a pattern which items don't show up? How many sublevels do you have in your folder-structure?

... all of the installed programs Show up and are merged with my redirected Start Menu.

Yes, this is a normal behavior. The entries come from:

• %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (The entries there are coming from the "Default User" profile)
  • %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

You can prevent it by removing them from your installation or setting a Microsoft GPO. The GPO has side effects, (Public Desktop gets removed too ...)

I think you will be able to overcome the mentioned issues, but the main problem are the "pinned apps".

After removing the mentioned default entries, the start-layout will look broken. You will want to set a start layout and this is where the problems starts ...

You will want to use the new start-layout XML, but you will find out, that this is not working, if the LNKs reside on a network-share ...

Thank you Microsoft! Great technology!

At the moment I am working on a solution with "ClassicShell". It is working as it should and has tons of great settings.

Please report back, if you find a better solution

Kevin Nickson Members

Kevin Nickson
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hi,

I am also working on a solution for a permission-controlled start menu with Server 2016.

In my production 2008r2 environment I also use Start Menu redirection with NTFS-permissions. I did some testing with Server 2016 ...

I didn't see something like this in my tests. Did you find a pattern which items don't show up? How many sublevels do you have in your folder-structure? I literally have zero sublevels in my redirected Start Menu. For example, I have a folder called Business Office Managers that only BOM's have NTFS rights to. I have about 15 folders like this but the last one on my list which is called "Therapy" doesn't show up at all. The folders that users don't have rights to still show up, just empty so they are unable to open programs that don't apply to them.

Yes, this is a normal behavior. The entries come from:

• %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (The entries there are coming from the "Default User" profile)
  • %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

You can prevent it by removing them from your installation or setting a Microsoft GPO. The GPO has side effects, (Public Desktop gets removed too ...)

I think you will be able to overcome the mentioned issues, but the main problem are the "pinned apps".

After removing the mentioned default entries, the start-layout will look broken. You will want to set a start layout and this is where the problems starts ...

You will want to use the new start-layout XML, but you will find out, that this is not working, if the LNKs reside on a network-share ...

Thank you Microsoft! Great technology!

At the moment I am working on a solution with "ClassicShell". It is working as it should and has tons of great settings.

Please report back, if you find a better solution

I'm going to look into "ClassicShell". I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you for your reply.