Xenserver 7.2 Free License

Started by Osama El-Sheikh , 11 August 2017 - 01:36 PM
7 replies to this topic

Osama El-Sheikh Members

Osama El-Sheikh
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hi all,

I install 7.2 (Fresh installation)... I request new license and I get the file.

When I tried to apply for this free license from XenCenter I get below screen:

Image 3.png

no place to upload the license!!?? 

Then I tried CLI, using xe host-licenses-add but I get error "Failed to apply license file" "!!

When I checked log, I get the this

Aug 11 16:46:39  XXXXXXX v6d: [ info| XXXXXXX|9 |host.license_add R:10104c39216c|v6api] Applying license file...
Aug 11 16:46:39  XXXXXXX v6d: [ warn| XXXXXXX|9 |host.license_add R:10104c39216c|license] License application failed: reverting to previous license
Aug 11 16:46:39  XXXXXXX v6d: [error| XXXXXXX|9 |host.license_add R:10104c39216c|v6api] License could not be checked out. Edition is not changed.

[I paste full log in pastebin]= https://pastebin.com/4zmyCrZL

I tried 3 servers with same error.... and spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong but I get disappointed :(

I hope I get help

Osama El-Sheikh Members

Osama El-Sheikh
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

I really approach some help....

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 7,182 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:17 AM

You don't need to apply a license to run XenServer free/unsupported. Did you request some sort of Evaluation license?

--Alan--

Osama El-Sheikh Members

Osama El-Sheikh
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

thanks for your reply.

I have a server with 28 Core and 64G RAM. I want to be able to use this resources. Only 2 Sockets is allowed!!??

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,569 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

If you are referring to running a VM on XenServer, that is a limitation of your guest OS and/or guest OS license, not anything to do with the Citrix XenServer side. There are no such limitations based on the edition of XenServer you are running. You need to look carefully at the configuration parameters for socket/CPU allocations and your licensing restrictions based on what guest OS you are running (which you did not indicate).  If that's not the case, please see my follow-up message below.

-=Tobias

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,569 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you were talking about XenServer itself and not running a guest OS on it.

If you see a core restriction, as opposed to a VM restriction, yes, you have to purchase XenServer licenses to be able to run more than 2 physical cores. If you have 4 cores, you need to buy two licenses. For free, you get to use up to two physical cores. Good luck getting anything for free like that from VMware!

-=Tobias

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 7,182 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

I don't know of any core restrictions, licensed or not. Curious if this is indeed the case. But yes, if you license the product it will be licensed per core. Curious now about core restrictions on free XenServer.

--Alan--

Tobias Kreidl CTP Member

Tobias Kreidl
  • 18,569 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:38 AM

Where do you see only 2 sockets allowed? For licensing I believe the restrictions apply to configuring VMs and assigning cores to them. I have never had a  server wit5h more than two physical CPUs to run free XenServer on, so cannot address that aspect from personal experience. I have not seen in any XenServer Feature Matrix document where anything like this is mentioned and just finished looking over the document for XS 7.2.

-=Tobias