Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NetScaler VPX: Unable to upgrate from 10.5-56.22 to 12.0-51.24

Vlad Pandichi

Hi guys,

I'm trying to upgrade my Netscaler Gateway from v10.5 to v12.0

I have downloaded the firmware (build-12.0-51.24_nc_32.tgz) from Citrix Downloads and uploaded the file on my Netscaler Virtual Appliance server using SFTP to the nsinstall folder.

I have tried upgrading using the System Upgrade feature from the web interface, but i've been stuck at the following step for the past hour:

/var/opt/nfast directory exists. Extracting hardserver files.
installns: [8538]: /var/opt/nfast directory exists. Extracting hardserver files.
/var/safenet/ directory exists.
installns: [8538]: /var/safenet/ directory exists.
Installing inCompass DB files...
installns: [8538]: Installing inCompass DB files...
Extracting python...
installns: [8538]: Extracting python...

It seems as though it is unable to extract python, not sure why, or where to look for errors, quite new to the technology.. any suggestions please? Could it be due to some corruption with the .tgz file?

Thanks

I haven't done a direct upgrade from firmware 10.5 to 12.0, but there is a known issue upgrading from 10.5.56 and earlier that prevented you from upgrading to firmware 11 from the GUI. I wouldn't be surprised if the same issue affected upgrades from 10.5 to 12.0. Here is the bug from the release notes:

You cannot upgrade to NetScaler release 11 from the following builds by using the Upgrade Wizard of the NetScaler GUI:

- All builds of NetScaler 9.3

- All builds of NetScaler 10.1

- Any build before Build 57.x of NetScaler 10.5

Workaround: Use the command line interface to upgrade the NetScaler appliance.

[#563410]

I would suggest you try upgrading using the CLI if you haven't already. Carl Stalhood has got some great documentation as always, here.

• Like 3

I haven't done a direct upgrade from firmware 10.5 to 12.0, but there is a known issue upgrading from 10.5.56 and earlier that prevented you from upgrading to firmware 11 from the GUI. I wouldn't be surprised if the same issue affected upgrades from 10.5 to 12.0. Here is the bug from the release notes:

You cannot upgrade to NetScaler release 11 from the following builds by using the Upgrade Wizard of the NetScaler GUI:

- All builds of NetScaler 9.3

- All builds of NetScaler 10.1

- Any build before Build 57.x of NetScaler 10.5

Workaround: Use the command line interface to upgrade the NetScaler appliance.

[#563410]

I would suggest you try upgrading using the CLI if you haven't already. Carl Stalhood has got some great documentation as always, here.

Thanks Nathan.

I have managed to upgrade it to v11 from the GUI, then from v11 to v12.4. I'm happy with that for the moment, but I'll try using the CLI when I plan to upgrade to v12.5, I'm sure it will work just fine. Thanks for the documentation as well!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...