Photo

XenApp 7.14.1 Zones

Started by Nino Krugel , 19 July 2017 - 09:36 AM
4 replies to this topic

Nino Krugel Members

Nino Krugel
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

need some help / advice on configuring zones please.

we currently have xendesktop 7.14.1 installed with a primary zone in South Africa and a Satellite Zone in the UK.

Primary Zone is configured with two Delivery Controllers, Machine Catalog and Storefront

Satellite zone is configured the in the same way, 2 x DDCs, StoreFront and machine Catalog.

each location has its own netscaler gateway as well, and each netscaler is configured with an internal and external gateway, the reason we did this is because we enforce two factor for both internal and external users.

the issue with this is on optimal hdx routing i now cant specify a zone as you are only allowed to assign one zone to a gateway, so if i set the SA zone to the external AG i cant set it on the internal AG

i have a single delivery group set up which contains both machine catalogs, one is for SA and one is for UK.

In my mind this is the only way i can use zones and split the VDAs so they register with their local DDCs, based on documentation i have read .

Problem i am having is with this setup when a user who resides locally in the SA zone launches an app its luanching on the VDA in UK.

can someone please advise what i am doing wrong and the correct way to setup zones is.

i do not want to use multiple delivery groups as we publish the same apps for both zones and dont want to end up with duplicate apps being published

any help or feedback would be appreciated

Russ Hargrove Members

Russ Hargrove
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

just spitballing here but if you have SA and UK users split up into two regional AD groups.. you could add the correct group to the correct zone

you could also use tags to manage who goes where but for that you'd likely be better off with 2 delivery groups... 1 delivery group has the SA tag, the other the UK tag... 

Nino Krugel Members

Nino Krugel
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:17 AM

think i did that but maybe did it wrong as when i had to delivery group i was doubling up on apps i could see in receiver as had access to both delivery groups, is there a way to force one delivery group only to show apps when you come via that storefront server, also would this not take away my ability for users to launch an app in the SA zone when a delivery controller in their site goes down

Nino Krugel Members

Nino Krugel
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

ok so have created separate delivery groups and so far so good, how ever we have an issue where a user in SA zone launches and app but instead of launching on local zone it launches on IOM zone and i cant figure out why, 

any ideas anyone

Deepanshu Soni Citrix Employees

Deepanshu Soni
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Hello Nino,

I believe your scenario is similar to the following blog, I suggest you to refer to the blog, it could be the answer to your problem.

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2017/04/17/zone-preference-internals/

Also, see this http://www.carlstalhood.com/catalogs-delivery-groups/#zones

Please let me know, if this fix you issue or if any further assistance is required.

-Deepanshu