Photo

Creating OS Layer Failed

Started by Serg , 17 July 2017 - 04:43 AM
4 replies to this topic

Best Answer Serg , 20 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

Found the solution, might be useful for someone else.

Opened the case, Citrix support recommended to expand the disk, but there was one weird thing.

My steps to resolve:

1. Added 1Gb to the disk of my VM

2. Powered VM on, what is interesting is that after I logged in - it said that the previous system shut down was unexpected. No idea what caused this and why.

3. Did not expand system drive as Citrix support recommended, just left 1Gb as unallocated space. Powered off the VM.

4. This time new OS layer was created successfully

So we think that adding extra space solved the issue, but what caused this is not clear, maybe this unexpected shutdown.

Serg Members

Sergii Loshmanov
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:43 AM

Hi guys,

I am trying to create a new OS Layer, but it fails with:

Failed to duplicate layer. Please ensure that you have sufficient space remaining in application layering local storage and retry this operation.

My OS Layer size is 60Gb, layering service local storage has 170Gb free (System - Manage Appliance). Is "application layering local storage" different from "layering service local storage"?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• applayering-error.jpg

Dennis Austin Members

Dennis Austin
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

When you first create an application layer, there is a setting "max layer size."  Is it possible your application layer has exceeded this value?  It defaults to 10GB I believe.

d

Serg Members

Sergii Loshmanov
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

I am not creating an app layer, it is OS layer and it is set to 60Gb

Rob Zylowski Citrix Employees

Rob Zylowski
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

Hi Serg,

You probably will want to enter a ticket to make sure your are getting the best help and make sure its really the issue I am about to discuss.

This happens every once in a while and we are still not sure why.  Its most likely that when the ntfs-3g software we use in the elm tries to clone your OS image to a disk in the ELM the target space available is off by something like 4096 bytes.  What we have done in the past to try and fix it is to extend the disk on your gold image by say 5GB but you have to do it in a specific way. 

In the hypervisor expand the disk.

Then in Windows run diskpart and expand the disk. 

Then shutdown and try again

In some cases we have had to attach the disk to another machine then use diskpart to expand it.

I wish i could better tell you whats wrong but we really dont know for sure why this happens and its very infrequent.

Rob

Serg Members

Sergii Loshmanov
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

Found the solution, might be useful for someone else.

Opened the case, Citrix support recommended to expand the disk, but there was one weird thing.

My steps to resolve:

1. Added 1Gb to the disk of my VM

2. Powered VM on, what is interesting is that after I logged in - it said that the previous system shut down was unexpected. No idea what caused this and why.

3. Did not expand system drive as Citrix support recommended, just left 1Gb as unallocated space. Powered off the VM.

4. This time new OS layer was created successfully

So we think that adding extra space solved the issue, but what caused this is not clear, maybe this unexpected shutdown.

Best Answer