Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows Server 2016 RDS Startmenu Problems

Jan Urban

Question

Hi Guys,

i have a strange problem with a new Windows Server 2016 XenDesktop 7.13 Enviroment. 

In some cases (not every time), the user can't open the startmenue or other windows like Date and Time. "Right Click" at Startbutton is always working.

We are getting this problem with user rights and administrative rights.

Sometimes it is helping to reregister the default apps from Microsoft.

- UPM Version 5.7

- Windows 2016 latest Updates

- XenDesktop 7.13

- Startmenu redirection configured

Exclusion Folder:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache AppData\Local\Packages AppData\Local\TileDataLayer !ctx_startmenu!

+ default Exlusion Folder

Mirrored Folder:

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache AppData\Local\Microsoft\Vault AppData\Local\Packages

synchronize Files:

AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\security\exception.sites AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\security\trusted.certs

AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties

synchronize Folder:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Credentials Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Credentials Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect

Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

Here are some Events from Windows:

Event 5973 - Source: Apps
Bei der Aktivierung der App „Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI“ ist folgender Fehler aufgetreten: Für diesen Vorgang ist nicht genügend Speicher verfügbar.. Weitere Informationen finden Sie im Protokoll „Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Betriebsbereit“.

Event 1000 - Source: Application Error
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: ShellExperienceHost.exe, Version: 10.0.14393.447, Zeitstempel: 0x5819bf85
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, Version: 10.0.14393.1198, Zeitstempel: 0x5902836c
Ausnahmecode: 0xc000027b
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000006d5eab
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1c40
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d2d08efbd2d1da
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Berichtskennung: d94eab04-c3a8-4493-a2fe-7732831d9784
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.1198_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

And here are some Event in the UPM Log:

2017-05-19;12:33:49.612;ERROR;*****;ctxtest;5;588;FindFirstFileAPIWrapper: FindFirstFile for path <C:\Users\ctxtest\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.Itemdata-ms> returned: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

2017-05-19;12:33:49.581;ERROR;*****;ctxtest;5;588;ResetSecurityForIE_AC: target file C:\Users\ctxtest\Appdata\Local\Packages\windows_ie_ac_001\ac does not exist

2017-05-19;12:37:42.883;ERROR;*****;ctxtest;5;11540;GetFileAttributesAPIWrapper: GetFileAttributes of <\\*****-file01.*****\ctxprofile\ctxtest.*****\Win2016v6\Pending\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UPPS\UPPS.bin> failed with: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

2017-05-19;12:50:46.996;ERROR;*****;ctxadmin;7;11540;ResetSecurityForIE_AC: target file C:\Users\ctxadmin\Appdata\Local\Packages\windows_ie_ac_001\ac does not exist

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jan

synchronize

12 answers to this question

Hi Jan,                    

For win2016 start menu, you shoud ensure “!ctx_localappdata!\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat*(configured in "Exclusion list-files") and  “!ctx_localappdata!\Package”(configured in "Exclusion list-directories") are excluded in the same time, then you can logon with a new user to find whether the start menu is ok or not.

For the profile has already been corrupted, you should delete files in the above folders  both in the local profile and user store profile.

If you still encounter issue with start menu, you could turn to citrix support for help,start menu issue is complex.

BR

Will Yi

I have followed the instructions in CTX215246 to no avail.  At the end there is a link to CTX224495 which is apparently a Citrix internal support article

I have contacted Citrix about this issue with Server 2016.  I was told that this had been reported by several customers and they were working with Microsoft to come up with a solution.

I have a workaround that is able to fix the issue for a short period of time:

1. Remove the group policy that applies the profile management settings
  2. restart the server
  3. run gpupdate /force
  4. re apply the GPO with the profile management settings and reboot the server again.

This seems to resolve the issue until the next time the server is restarted.

We had the same issue with the Start Menu and taskbar items intermittently freezing and in general becoming non-responsive on Server 2016 RDS / XenApp 7.15 CU2 servers (with the profile management component reverted to 7.15 CU1) and found that enabling the group policy "Remove Notifications and Action Center" is what resolved the issue for us. Evidently this is a known issue in Server 2016 RDS and simply hasn't been resolved by Microsoft yet.

Also, we found that setting Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\StateStore\ResetCache to a 1 as described in https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX234144.

Here is how we have profile management configured:

- Excluding everything in the directory !ctx_localappdata! (you may not want to do this but we decided we didn't want anything from AppData\Local except for items that we defined specifically)

- Mirroring configured for !ctx_localappdata!\TileDataLayer (to preserve the user's Start Menu configuration).

- Synchronizing the directory !ctx_localappdata!\Microsoft\Windows\Caches

- Synchronizing the files !ctx_localappdata!\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata* (this one preserves the Start Menu configuration for users on Server 2012 R2 just in case you have both 2012 R2 and 2016 servers.

We haven't had any more intermittent Start Menu issues in Server 2016 since implementing this configuration.

I found that if you export this key: HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\appx\AppxAllUserStore from a working 2016 server and import it into a broken one, it will fix the startmenu not working. I also found that when its broken you will see keys missing from under the AppxAllUserStore key.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:13 PM, Ryan Barber said:

I found that if you export this key: HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\appx\AppxAllUserStore from a working 2016 server and import it into a broken one, it will fix the startmenu not working. I also found that when its broken you will see keys missing from under the AppxAllUserStore key.

Holy reg hack, rbarber!  This actually works for me so far!  I've been messing with this for 2 weeks, playing with GPO, Inclusion/Exclusion lists, etc.  Nothing worked!  NO idea why those reg keys broke.  Thanks for posting!

On 2/28/2020 at 2:09 AM, Tom Wilson1709157339 said:

"Remove Notifications and Action Center" is what resolved the issue for us. Evidently this is a known issue in Server 2016 RDS and simply hasn't been resolved by Microsoft yet

Worked for me as well.

Hi

Did turning off “Remove Notifications and Action Center” permanently resolve this issue? Going to set this via GPO and pray it works for us too. 

I am seeing the same issue with Windows 2016 start menu but it only seems to affect users later in the day so it seems like a resource issue, but my VDAs aren’t being hammered so bit weird. The CPU does peak quite high during the day but when users are having issues, the CPU usage has dropped. Memory is ok. 

Thanks

Pete