Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenApp 7.13,MCS and VSAN 6.5

Question

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has managed to get MCS working correctly with VSAN 6.5?

When using MCS against a 3 node VSAN cluster I can create a Catalog with no problems, but when the machine catalog update goes to reconfigure the VMs to reconfigure it to support the new image it will produce the following message:-

A general system error occurred: PBM error occurred during PreProcessReconfigureSpec: pbm.fault.PBMFault

I have cases with both VMware and Citrix and both seem to be saying it is not their fault and not getting far with either of them apart from keep sending VMware log files. I have also built out a number of test environments in a lab using:-

XenApp 7.12 (with VSAN Hotfix) against VSAN 6.2

XenApp 7.13 against VSAN 6.2, 6.5 and 6.6

These were all vanilla installs and all produce the same message. It is either something very basic that is the issue or a fundamental issue with VSAN and XenApp.

The Master Image being used is Windows 2012 R2, HW 13.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Hi, we still have a case open with Citrix and VMware. VMware have said they don't support the way Citrix is creating the Identity disk, so I have passed it back to Citrix, which at the moment are saying the issue is with their developers. No time line for a fix. In the end I put a simple script together to sort the disk out after deploying the Machine Catalog. Will drop what I used tomorrow.

Hi, we still have a case open with Citrix and VMware. VMware have said they don't support the way Citrix is creating the Identity disk, so I have passed it back to Citrix, which at the moment are saying the issue is with their developers. No time line for a fix. In the end I put a simple script together to sort the disk out after deploying the Machine Catalog. Will drop what I used tomorrow.

Thanks Andrew. Will wait for your script then. Meanwhile, I will also try to open a case with Citrix for this.

This is what i quickly put together. Just run the script passing a server name. I had a small number of XenApp servers, so didn't need to do anything more. Once the initial deployment of VMs has taken place on the catalog run this against each server before using etc.

#MCS VSAN Fix Script

#Converts the identity disk to VSAN object. Stops errors relating to PBM during a catalog update

#Andrew Webber

#Version 1.0

#Connect to vCenter first

#connect-VIServer SERVER1

#Get the VM and store it in a variable

$VMName = $args[0]

$vm = Get-VM $VMName

$Datastore = Get-Datastore -VM $vm

$Datacenter = Get-Datacenter -VM $vm

$diskpath = "[" + $Datastore.Name + "] " + $vm.Name + "/"

$vmidpath = $diskpath + $vm.Name + "_IdentityDisk.vmdk"

$vmtemppath = $diskpath + $vm.Name + "_TemporaryStorage.vmdk"

$renameidSource = "vmstore:\" + $Datacenter +"\vsanDatastore\" + $vm.Name + "\" + $vm.Name + "_IdentityDiskOld.vmdk"

$renameidDestination = $vm.Name + "_IdentityDisk.vmdk"

$converthdd = $diskpath + $vm.Name + "_IdentityDiskOld"

#Get Disks

#Get-HardDisk $vm

#Convert Disk

Get-HardDisk -VM $vm | Where-Object {$_.Filename -like "*_IdentityDisk*"} | Copy-HardDisk -DestinationPath $converthdd -Confirm:$false

#Remove Disk

Get-HardDisk -VM $vm | Where-Object {$_.Filename -like "*_IdentityDisk*"} | Remove-HardDisk -DeletePermanently:$true -Confirm:$false

Get-HardDisk -VM $vm | Where-Object {$_.Filename -like "*_TemporaryStorage*"} | Remove-HardDisk -Confirm: $false

#Rename Identity Disk

rename-item $renameidSource $renameidDestination

#Add Disk

New-HardDisk -VM $vm -DiskPath $vmidpath

New-HardDisk -VM $vm -DiskPath $vmtemppath

• Like 2

This is what I used. Just a slight modification to get the list of VMs based on the Machine Name prefix and a recursion to go through all the returned VMs.

$VMs = Get-VM -Name "PREFIX*"

foreach ($VM in $VMs) {  
$Datastore = Get-Datastore -VM $vm
$Datacenter = Get-Datacenter -VM $vm
$diskpath = "[" + $Datastore.Name + "] " + $vm.Name + "/"
$vmidpath = $diskpath + $vm.Name + "_IdentityDisk.vmdk"
$vmtemppath = $diskpath + $vm.Name + "_TemporaryStorage.vmdk"
$renameidSource = "vmstore:\" + $Datacenter +"\vsanDatastore\" + $vm.Name + "\" + $vm.Name + "_IdentityDiskOld.vmdk"
$renameidDestination = $vm.Name + "_IdentityDisk.vmdk"
$converthdd = $diskpath + $vm.Name + "_IdentityDiskOld"

#Convert Disk
Get-HardDisk -VM $vm | Where-Object {$_.Filename -like "*_IdentityDisk*"} | Copy-HardDisk -DestinationPath $converthdd -Confirm:$false

#Remove Disk
Get-HardDisk -VM $vm | Where-Object {$_.Filename -like "*_IdentityDisk*"} | Remove-HardDisk -DeletePermanently:$true -Confirm:$false
Get-HardDisk -VM $vm | Where-Object {$_.Filename -like "*_TemporaryStorage*"} | Remove-HardDisk -Confirm: $false

#Rename Identity Disk
rename-item $renameidSource $renameidDestination

#Add Disk
New-HardDisk -VM $vm -DiskPath $vmidpath
New-HardDisk -VM $vm -DiskPath $vmtemppath
}

The updates are working fine after this. However, my vCenter complains that these VMs are now not compliant with storage policies. The storage policies status now is "Out of Date" on all of these MCS VMs even after forcing the policy multiple times and waiting for a long time. The status was "Unknown" before running the script. Any ideas? Are you also seeing the same behavior?

• Like 1

Yep, reapplied the policies multiple times. Still the status shows "Out of Date" and it happens with every single VM. The PREFIX is replaced with my own value. The script ran perfectly and the Image updates are working fine now.

Just to add, I am also spinning off some VMs with Personal vDisk. Had to replace the "*_TemporaryStorage*" bit with "*_pvdisk*" for that particular catalog. Temporary Storage disks are not available for Personal vDisk VMs.

Is there any update on your Citrix case by the way?

@Andrew,

Ok cool, thanks for that, will chase it up with Vmware and Citrix as well, the more the merrier!  

Sadly we are now committed to going to Vsan so I hope they get a fix soon or I might have to consider testing View again :-(

We don't do heaps of updates so re-building the catalogs instead of updating them, while a pain, isn't the end of the world.  

Hi Jason, I was in the same situation. The simple script I used seems to work on correcting the issue, so maybe worth doing that. The issue with recreating catalogs, which I found was all the other things you have to consider...i.e DHCP scope IP allocations, AV tools might get duplicates everytime you do a catalog creation etc.

I chase Citrix ever couple of weeks, so as soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Hi Andrew,

Ok, thank you very much for that as they are very good things to consider!

I don't suppose you have the call numbers that I can reference when I log something as well?  I have run up a lab and am getting the same error so will now log it and have something to show them if I get a callback.

I am not much of a script person so looking at the script once i have run it i get 

WARNING: PowerCLI scripts should not use the 'Client' property. The property will be removed in a future release.
WARNING: Parameter 'VM' is obsolete. Passing multiple values to this parameter is obsolete.

however it seems to work well, do i need to worry about those errors?

Has anyone had an update on this we are currently seeing MCS failing on every machine catalog update, we have updated to 7.15 and this issues is still occurring. In a shared desktop environment we could perhaps work around this with scripts, however our customer runs several hindered VDI machines, and they run update several time a week and deleting the catalog and recreating is simply not going to be feasible. I'm very confused from the above are Citrix saving that MCS does not work on the LTSR? This would seem like a fairly fundamental issue! 

Hi,

I did get an email from Citrix yesterday that they might have a specific build fix for me (7.13) and I am just awaiting for them to confirm what it is. The script i posted earlier works around the issue once the VMs are deployed and you don't need to delete and recreate the catalogs once you run the script. Updates will work fine. I have a customer using it fine for the last couple of months.

Cheers

good news if they have a fix for 7.13, but still confused how this can creep into the LTSR! When are you running the script? our customer often updates during the morning, and they have a shift change just after midday, this would reboot the machines, and try to update then fail to boot. I would guess that we would have to run the script then which would mean we have unavailable capacity, so i'm not sure if thats going to work? Or are you ruining it periodically? thanks