XenApp 7.12, LHC and a reboot

Started by Ivan Endicott , 21 April 2017 - 10:23 AM
6 replies to this topic

Ivan Endicott Members

Ivan Endicott
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hi all,

As LHC has made a come back on XenApp 7.12 and is configured on Delivery Controllers what happens if LHC is then used and you reboot the Delivery Controller as I know with Citrix 6.5 if you rebooted a machine that has running the old version of LHC the machine stopped functioning ?

I have completed a few searches in Google but nothing has categorically said you can or can't reboot the Delivery Controller running LHC.

Regards Ivan

Sebastian Amrogowicz Citrix Employees

Sebastian Amrogowicz
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

Hello,

I'm afraid that if you're in outage (DB down) and you restart machine, it will not get back into outage.

I'll ask for that to be added to our documentation.

Sebastian

Ivan Endicott Members

Ivan Endicott
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the reply but not sure what "it will not get into outage" means ?

Do you mean once you reboot the Delivery controller the LHC is no longer available on it ?

Regards Ivan

Sebastian Amrogowicz
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

Ivan,

If the site is working correctly, you can safely restart any DDC and LHC will still be fully operational.

If the site is down due to DB issues, restarting DDC will make it not work as a LHC controller until DB is back up.

Sebastian

Carl Stalhood CTP Member

Carl Stalhood
  • 12,283 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

Will one of the other Controllers be elected? Or once the elected Controller is rebooted, LHC is over?

Ivan Endicott Members

Ivan Endicott
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

Hi Carl,

I too need to know this so if you have 2 DDC's both running LHC and the DB has an outage and you then reboot both DDC's then going on what Sebastian is saying your site will be down ?

Ivan

Sebastian Amrogowicz
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

A small correction on my side (bad notes).

So to consider all possible scenarios:

- Site is working correctly: Rebooting any DDC will not have any impact on LHC as long as DDC will become operational before outage starts.

- Site is in outage and LHC triggered: Rebooting any DDC will have impact depending on the election order of the DDC being rebooted:

- If the rebooted DDC is the elected one, different DDC will take over (causing registration storm) and when the DDC gets back, it will take over brokering causing second registration storm. Site will sort itself out and all will work.

- If the rebooted DDC is not the elected one, it will not impact any functionality.

- If you turn the DDC down when site is working, and start it during outage, LHC will not trigger on that machine. This DDC will not impact the LHC unless it would become the elected one. In that scenario it will take control, however not start LHC and resources would not be available.

Sebastian