Photo

One large Delivery Group or multiple smaller Delivery Groups?

Started by Richard Walsh , 20 April 2017 - 09:31 PM
3 replies to this topic

Richard Walsh Members

Richard Walsh
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

I'm curious to get more advice before POC testing so please chime in with opinions!

Currently my campus is using PVS 7.8 to delivery non-persistent lab computers with a mandatory profile. At this time we have a Delivery Group for every room (20+) even though all rooms use the same vDisk.

We're curious about setting up a single large Delivery Group for all 500 VM's and users so that all rooms get their VM from the same machine catalog.

Is this a good or bad idea? Why? We did a little brainstorming and couldn't find a negative reason given that all of the thin clients are pulling the same image and user profile, and only differ based on GPO.

Christian Hozee Members

Christian Hozee
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

Multiple Delivery groups can pull machines out of one Machine Catalog. Based on your description I dont see why you should create multiple DG'. Our DG's host up to 3000 VM's.

The reason why you could create multiple DG's is that you can turn on Maintenance Mode for users in one room, and users in another can still log in. Offcourse, users should always log in from the same room.

I allways try to minimize the number of DG's.

Christian Hozee Members

Christian Hozee
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

Forgot to ask. Are all these machines in the same OU in AD?

Richard Walsh Members

Richard Walsh
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the advice. Currently all of the machines are in different OU's for the purposes of GPO, but all machines are identical and there really isn't any reason we couldn't lump them all together. Our plan is to create one large Machine Catalog and one large Delivery Group for that specific image. We do have a few other rooms on campus that would require their own Delivery Group for the purposes of App Disks or a special vDisk.