Photo

Reasonably Priced HW for HA Setup on XenServer 7.0

Started by Eric Eikrem , 20 April 2017 - 01:58 PM
4 replies to this topic

Eric Eikrem Members

Eric Eikrem
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:58 PM

I was just wondering if there is a reasonably priced HW setup for doing High Availability-setup on a XenServer pool. I have looked through the compatibility list, and it seems that all available iSCSI or NFS LUNs are quite high-end. As I need 3 hosts in addition to a LUN to be able to make the HA work, it is getting quite pricey. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:02 AM

there are low cost iSCSI solutions out there, you can get generic hardware and go with Nextena or OpenFiler or a variety of others. iSCSI and NFS are tried and true protocols, but I would stick with something known to work. Yes. 3 hosts for HA unless you want to use HALizard with 2 hosts. 

--Alan--

Eric Eikrem Members

Eric Eikrem
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

Thanks, Alan. Did some research based on your comments, and there are quite a few generic hardware components that might work. I guess the only thing to do is to try them out. With regards to HALizard, it seems that the solution is not frequently used (nor actively maintained?), so I'll probably go with the 3-host pooling solution.

Alan Lantz Members

Alan Lantz
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:02 AM

I personally don't use HALizard because I don't want the additional overhead of a 3rd party product with something else to learn/maintain and currently fortunate that all of my pools have at least 3 members so just using the built in HA makes the most sense for us. I know Tobias has worked with and uses HALizard so it does work, but don't know if they have announced compatibility with XenServer 7.x yet. I just wanted to throw that out there since some people are using it successfully.

--Alan--

Eric Eikrem Members

Eric Eikrem
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

Avoiding additional overhad makes a lot of sense. BTW: I see from the XenServer 7.1 admin guide that you may have pools with just two hosts. The drawback compared with 2 hosts is that starting the "backup" host is manual. In addition, you need a storage repository, so you are just 1 host away from the full HA solution. Still, if you're on strict budget, it might be a viable alternative...